Farah, Moses make Lebanon Squad...

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
Yossarian

Re: Farah, Moses make Lebanon Squad...

Post by Yossarian » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 12:58 pm

It'd be awesome to have a residents WC for the emerging nations.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 1:15 pm

Abraham wrote:
jirskyr wrote:Let's be honest, this team should be called Lebanese Australians, I'd be surprised if any of them were even born in Lebanon.

Good team for a minnow, though.
There are actually a few players from the Lebanese domestic competition in the squad that was named.

However you can make the same argument for all of the Pacific Islander teams. How many of them are born in the Islands, and how many domestic players do they have in their sides?

That's just the reality of international Rugby League.
Glad to hear that, I don't wish to speak from ignorance, though I recognised most of those names. Who are the domestics?

I do get what you are saying about the Pacific teams though. I did a quick check of the current Tonga squad - only 10% were born in Tonga, 49% were born in Australia and 41% in NZ.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 1:19 pm

GoldXR50Leroy wrote:I was surprised to see that Reece Robinson made the list when he's off to Rah Rah land!.
G'day Leigh how's work going Las Vegas is great, enjoy work. :roll

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 1:36 pm

GoldXR50Leroy wrote:I was surprised to see that Reece Robinson made the list when he's off to Rah Rah land!.
Reece Robinson Lebanese :shock: .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 3:03 pm

Robinso bros are half Lebanese, half Aboriginal.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 3:07 pm

jirskyr wrote: Glad to hear that, I don't wish to speak from ignorance, though I recognised most of those names. Who are the domestics?

I do get what you are saying about the Pacific teams though. I did a quick check of the current Tonga squad - only 10% were born in Tonga, 49% were born in Australia and 41% in NZ.
From the squad listed, here are the 'natives':

Ghassan Dandash, Ray Sabat (Jounieh RLFC), Ali Abou Arabi, Michael Elias, Kevin Sassin (Tripoli City RLFC), Toufic El Hage, Mike Tawk, Wael Harb (Wolves FC).

They actually have an 8 team competition in Lebanon which has been running for over a decade, and the game is growing each year from all reports.

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 3:12 pm

Yossarian wrote:Is Karios Filiga the sam guy Cronulla paid stupid money to because they thought he was the new Sonny Bill?
It would have to be you'd think.

His name was Karlos Filiga though, formerly McNichol, the first next SBW.

He is close to the best player I have seen as a junior that has not kicked on, it looked a foregone conclusion he's be a star.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Thu 08 Oct, 2015 6:52 am

Abraham wrote:
jirskyr wrote:Let's be honest, this team should be called Lebanese Australians, I'd be surprised if any of them were even born in Lebanon.

Good team for a minnow, though.
There are actually a few players from the Lebanese domestic competition in the squad that was named.

However you can make the same argument for all of the Pacific Islander teams. How many of them are born in the Islands, and how many domestic players do they have in their sides?

That's just the reality of international Rugby League.
Pretty much... Look at New Zealand. Not 1 player plays in their domestic comp.

They even have an Australian company as sponsor.

#freeloaders
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 12:41 pm

Demps wrote:Assuming the big names actually wanna play.

What does "wanna" mean. I really want to know.

Demps

Post by Demps » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 2:10 pm

magpiecol wrote:

Wanna...

means - "want to"

I wanna happy meal!
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 4:44 pm

Demps wrote:
magpiecol wrote:

Wanna...

means - "want to"

I wanna happy meal!

Could not find it in the dictionary.

farmduck

Post by farmduck » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 7:09 pm

http://lebanonrl.com/news/2017-rlwc-qua ... ebanon-40/

2017 RLWC QUALIFIER – MEA GAME 1: SOUTH AFRICA 12 LEBANON 40
Last Updated: Sunday, October 25th, 2015

Lebanon are in pole position to contest their first Rugby League World Cup since 2000, after a convincing first leg win over hosts South Africa in Brakpan, near Pretoria

In the searing heat, the Cedars ran in seven tries, three to experienced winger Travis Robinson, while classy half back James Boustani landed six goals.

“We’ve been training together for five weeks and I thought it came together really well,” said Lebanon second rower, man of the match Elias Sukkar. “We played a tough opponent but we managed to get through them. Our structure was the difference and our defence was really good.

“Next week we just have to play our game and not move away from what we do so well and I’m sure we’ll confirm our place in the Rugby League World Cup.”

Robinson posted an ominous warning in the third minute, the Cedars spreading the ball wide direct from a scrum to go over in the corner, Boustani adding the extras from the touchline.

Centre Johan Joubert responded, running a terrific line to cut through two defenders to narrow the gap, Bradley Williams wide with the conversion attempt.

Lebanon skipper Chris Saab crossed from close in, the Cedars then losing experienced forward Ray Moujalli with a deep gash to his knee which required hospital treatment as Daniel Abou-Sleiman went over to increase the lead, Boustani making it 18-4.

Seven minutes before the break, Melbourne Storm’s Robinson went on a superb weaving solo run to cross in the corner to make it 22-4, too far out for Boustani to goal.

The heat and humidity began to take its toll in the second period, the visitors further hampered when Ahmad Ellazwas sin binned in the 52nd minute for a dangerous tackle.

South Africa immediately took advantage, Halvor Harris grubbering through and full back Jason King grounding, Williams again wide with the conversion.

Two tries in four minutes, from Mitchell Mamary and Tarek El Masri then took the game away from the hosts as Lebanon made good ground up the middle, Sukkar excelling, Nardus Raubenheimer replying with a score that looked to keep the second leg alive.

But Robinson put a significant gap between the teams with his hat-trick score two minutes from time.

“They dominated really well,” acknowledged South Africa coach Brian Greige. “Our completion rate was really good but we made too many mistakes in key areas, especially in the first half. We had 41 missed tackles which cost us the game, and the first 20 minutes hurt us after which we had to play catch-up football.

“We have a few things to work on this week but we should be good for the experience and hopefully we’ll turn it around.”

The sides meet again at the same venue on 30th October.

SOUTH AFRICA 12
Jason King, Gideon Mzembe, Johan Joubert, Jean Coetzer, Shuab Samaai, Theo Rhodes, Bradley Williams, Jaice Terblanche, Marcell Viljoen, Louis Musson, Dwayne Botma, Halvor Harris, Shane Gilham
Subs (all used): Nardus Raubenheimer, Rupert Wells, Rudolph Prinsloo, Jean Pierre Nel

Tries: Joubert (12), King (56), Raubenheimer (73)
Goals: Williams 0/2, Coetzer 0/1

LEBANON 40

Daniel Abou-Sleiman, Adham El Zbaidieh, Tarek El Masri, Chris Saab, Travis Robinson, Mark Daoud, James Boustani, Mitchell Mamary, Ali Allouche, Ray Moujalli, Elias Sukkar, Nick Kassis, Ahmad Ellaz
Subs (all used): Richard Coorey, James Elias, Wael Harb, Robin Hachache

Tries: Robinson (3,33,78), Saab (17), Abou Sleiman (21), Mamary (59), El Masri (63)
Goals: Boustani 6/7
Sinbin: Ellaz (52 – dangerous tackle)

Man of the match: Elias Sukkar
Half time: 4-22
Referee: Phil Bentham (England)

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 7:12 pm

Farah & Moses didnt play?

Wasnt Mark Daoud the SG Ball Halfback for the Tigers in 2012?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

farmduck

Post by farmduck » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 7:19 pm

This was the 20-man squad Lebanon took to Sth Africa. Could be the same one.:

LEBANON 20-MAN SQUAD
Mark Daoud (Asquith Magpies), Jamie Clark, Richard Coorey, Ead Kassem, Elias Sukkar (Auburn Warriors), Chris Saab (Guildford Owls), James Boustani (Hills), Ray Finan, Robin Hachache, (Immortals RLFC), Travis Robinson (Melbourne Storm), James Elias (Newcastle Knights), Daniel Abou-Sleiman, Ahmed Ellaz, Tarek El Masri, Ray Moujalli (Newtown Jets), Reece Robinson (Parramatta Eels), Nick Kassis, Mitchell Mamary (Wentworthville Magpies), Wael Harb (Wolves FC), Adham El Zbaidieh (Unattached)

Reece Robinson dropped out because he has signed with RU's NSW Waratahs. Replaced by 19-year-old American University of Beirut back row Toufic El Hajj.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 7:58 pm

I wonder how many tries each team bombed...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

farmduck

Post by farmduck » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 8:18 pm

Both sides bombed a few. There was a live stream. The camera work was pretty good but the stream lag meant it was hard to watch. At one stage they had 600 watchers. This was the team ranked 20th v 28th so even 600 watching the stream is pretty good.

It was about 28° and both teams struggled a bit.

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 8:32 pm

Geo. wrote:I wonder how many tries each team bombed...
I know it's a light-hearted joke but seriously, it's pretty poor taste considering how many innocent lives are taken in these "bombings".
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 9:30 pm

OK....no head high gags