Meninga puts a line through Roos rookies

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
Love the WestsTigers

Meninga puts a line through Roos rookies

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 9:30 am

Seriously, I feel outraged
He talks about picking the best players but Rookies wont be considered.
How the hell will the rookies ever progress if they get over-looked
Tedesco has been form full back and he wont even get a look In

To say I'm disappointment in that decision from the New National Coach is an understatement

You lot be your own judge but that's how I feel.

Source http://www.nrl.com/meninga-puts-a-line- ... fault.aspx

Possible Test match bolters like James Tedesco, Corey Oates and Gavin Cooper will have to continue to bide their time for a green and gold jersey according to the national coach, with Mal Meninga on Thursday firmly putting a line through selecting any debutants despite a wave of injuries and retirements affecting the outside backs in particular.

Test centres Will Chambers (foot) and Justin Hodges (retirement), fullback Billy Slater (shoulder) and winger Brett Morris (knee) have left a gulf that needs filling. Regular NRL fullbacks Darius Boyd and Greg Inglis appear to be in a two-horse race for Slater's jersey but either will leave a gap in the three-quarter line that requires filling.

Aaron Woods (ankle) and Boyd Cordner (pec) are the key injuries in the forwards.

Meninga reaffirmed the team named on Sunday week will be made up of the best players for the job at this point in time but qualified that with the statement that representative rookies won't be considered.

"No. Not this time around, no," Meninga flatly replied in regards to rookies being selected for the Trans-Tasman Test.

"There might be a few changes [from the previous Test] but it won't be unfamiliar changes. It's about continuity and familiarity with the players.

"There are a few players who didn't play last year because of injury or suspension. We've looked at all those things. It will be more a team around cohesion, combinations, short preparation."

Michael Jennings, Josh Morris, Dane Gagai, Josh Dugan and Josh Mansour have all played for Australia or Queensland in the past 12 months and could come into contention, meaning a back five of something like Inglis, Boyd, Jennings, Gagai/Morris and Dugan/Gagai the most likely combination.

It also appeared to suggest underrated Cowboys edge man Gavin Cooper is unlikely to force his way into a stacked back row that could feature the likes of Sam Thaiday, Matt Gillett, Corey Parker, Paul Gallen, Greg Bird, Josh Papalii and Trent Merrin.

Meninga said the team is basically finalised, with some contingency plans in place if further injuries or suspensions strike over the next two weekends of NRL matches.

"You can't [leave it to the last minute but] you don't really want to interfere with the players' club performances either," Meninga said.

"We've got a fair idea who we want to play in that Test team but we can't really nut it down until we play their final game and see their injuries and how they're feeling too.

"We really can't finalise a team until the players have finished playing really but we've got a fair idea of what the team make-up might be but we've got all these little contingency plans if people get hurt or suspended."

Meninga said possible planning for future tournaments such as the 2016 Four Nations and 2017 World Cup won't be a factor in the process.

"Representative football is about there here and now, it's about the best players, putting them into the team and if you're playing really well you should be part of selection regardless of what happens in the future. Rep footy's about the here and now," he said

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 9:41 am

Oh well. I always go for the kiwis for some reason...

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 10:39 am

Idiot. Everyone has to play their first game at some point you bushy-eyed freak.
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 10:50 am

He just wants an excuse to pick a Queenslander at fullback.

See what happens when you put a Queenslander in charge...

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 11:30 am

Meninga - "Representative football is about there here and now, it's about the best players, putting them into the team and if you're playing really well you should be part of selection regardless of what happens in the future. Rep footy's about the here and now,"

Except if you're the best player here and now who hasn't played rep football yet.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 12:25 pm

Good news he's picking Matt Geyer and Adrian Brunker for their comeback games, coz they've played a little bit of Origin before.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 12:43 pm

Never expected much from this "poor excuse for a coach" anyway.

It's also a continuation of the "it is harder to get out of the Australian team than it is to get into it."

I for one, won't be surprised to see them beaten. You have to pick "in form players" to win games.

Oh! well look on the bright side - the more times they get beaten, the quicker we will get rid of him.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 12:53 pm

If I was a new rep coach I probably wouldn't be making too many unnecessary changes as well.... Enough change with a new coach coming in, probably best to leave the squad as stable as possible
Last edited by innsaneink on Fri 22 Apr, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underdog

Post by underdog » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 12:56 pm

Michael Hagan must have been away sick, and left Mal to his own devices this time, for such a bone-headed brain dead decision to be made.

A fresh looking, energetic, dynamic Kiwis side could topple our dads army handsomely.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 3:20 pm

WestsSupporter wrote:Idiot. Everyone has to play their first game at some point you bushy-eyed freak.
:roll

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 3:24 pm

tsjonathan wrote:Oh well. I always go for the kiwis for some reason...
Whilst ever vermin scum like Smith is captain of our national side, so will I mate. It really is embarrassing and disappointing having to barrack for the Kiwi's and Poms instead of the Aussie side.

underdog

Post by underdog » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 3:42 pm

Puts Lines through rookies.

NEK MINNIT

Oh but lets lock Semi Radradra in as one of the wingers.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 3:51 pm

I think our guys can wait a bit longer before playing rep football, surely there's no rush.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 4:05 pm

Whilst ever you have Bob Fulton near any selection of teams, you will get garbage.

NSW and the kangaroos in recent years. No further evidence your worship.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 4:20 pm

No rookies yet they reckon Dame Gagai is a chance of a spot? Holy smokes, he would consider himself fortunate to be even getting a game for the Knights in the past season or two.

underdog

Post by underdog » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 4:34 pm

Remember when Sione Matty-utaia got a wing spo, then started the very next season in State Cup.

It's honestly become so bad it's the only AUSTRALIAN team I don't go for. Soccerroos, Wallabies, Cricket Team, Olympic team all the way, but go the Kiwis in the Rugby League.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 24 Apr, 2016 10:18 am

Mal is right. A kangaroo jersey should be the pinnacle of a pllayer's career.
We don't even know if Teddy will handle origin yet...baby steps people.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 24 Apr, 2016 9:55 pm

stryker wrote:Mal is right. A kangaroo jersey should be the pinnacle of a pllayer's career.
We don't even know if Teddy will handle origin yet...baby steps people.
True re: Tedesco.
But they are talking about Gagai being a chance for a Roos jersey. He is far from a worldbeater.