First thing that came to mind - Rex Mossop

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
AmericanHistoryX

First thing that came to mind - Rex Mossop

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:22 pm

The Seven Network have made a dent on the Nine Network's 19-year dominance over free-to-air rugby league in Australia, claiming the broadcast rights to the 2017 World Cup.

The network will showcase all 28 matches live on one of their channels during the event between October 27 and December 2 next year.

With the finals around the corner these are the ones to watch.

The move marks the first time major rugby league matches played in Australia will be broadcast on a rival free-to-air channel since the ABC simulcast Fox Sports' coverage of the Super League in 1997.

It's also the first time another commercial free-to-air broadcaster has won the rights to matches played in Australia since the Seven Network last broadcast Test matches in 1992.
Victors: Australia are the reigning world champions.
Victors: Australia are the reigning world champions. Photo: Michael Steele

Seven televised the last World Cup in the Northern hemisphere through secondary channel 7mate, however the Nine Network had the rights to the last one played in Australia in 2008.

"Our securing of the Cup is yet another step in our development as we build the platforms to create our future," Seven West managing director and CEO Tim Worner said.

Seven will also become the host broadcaster for all overseas coverage of the matches played in Australia, while other games will also be played in New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

The Network has also claimed the online, mobile and subscription TV rights.

The 2013 world cup was won by Australia 34-2 against New Zealand. Australia has contested every world cup final since 1957.

AAP
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:44 pm

Good

Juro

Post by Juro » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 1:00 pm

The 2013 World Cup was fantastic, and I think the fact that it was not on Nine was one of the reasons it was so good.

It will be interesting to see what Seven do with it...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 1:02 pm

What? I was looking forward to Ch 9 burying the non-Australian group games on some channel I've never heard of at 3am.

Basil Tiger

Post by Basil Tiger » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 2:13 pm

I hope Prime 7 is MPEG4 by then,looks like we are going to have the Olympics in SD.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 2:35 pm

Love to see nine vanished from all sports. They have had a monopoly for years and most of the time served up rubbish and the punter has had very little choice but to watch their rubbish

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 2:41 pm

Seven have a very good opportunity to show up Nein here.

Would love to see Nein lose the cricket as well. Now that Benaud and Greig are sadly no longer with us and Bill only shows up for the Boxing Day Test I'd love to see them get the arse.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 3:24 pm

a viking sauna would be an appropriate celebration for seven.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 3:53 pm

Bruce McAvaney knows nothing about RL...so that will be a massive improvement on Nine...

P.S..Fox are doing the 2016 NRL Finals...woooooooooo...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 4:02 pm

Oh no, heres hoping the commentary team is good BUT

Chevy

Post by Chevy » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 4:51 pm

Good...lets face it they couldn't be as bad as nine.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 5:01 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:Seven have a very good opportunity to show up Nein here.

Would love to see Nein lose the cricket as well. Now that Benaud and Greig are sadly no longer with us and Bill only shows up for the Boxing Day Test I'd love to see them get the arse.
That's the key, isn't it? Whether 7 are happy to just steal some ratings, or if they really want to stick the boot in by having better commentary.

Any fool can see that 9 is too blokey & jokey, but it probably appeals to some key demographics. Myself, I'd like some commentators who can point out the things that I miss.

And don't get me started on the cricket commentary. (You kids get off my lawn!)
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 5:26 pm

Excellent, more games that i don't have to tune into 9 for.
I'm really enjoying this year's coverage on fox.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 5:39 pm

Chevy wrote:Good...lets face it they couldn't be as bad as nine.
They could if they use Mcaveny, talk about a waste of a microphone.
He worries me every time he leans over towards his interviewee close enough to kiss Him/Her. He's creepy.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 8:43 am

Masterton wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:Seven have a very good opportunity to show up Nein here.

That's the key, isn't it? Whether 7 are happy to just steal some ratings, or if they really want to stick the boot in by having better commentary.

Any fool can see that 9 is too blokey & jokey, but it probably appeals to some key demographics. Myself, I'd like some commentators who can point out the things that I miss.

And don't get me started on the cricket commentary. (You kids get off my lawn!)
That's the thing, I don't know what key demographics it appeals to. I get the vibe that most on this forum (and other people I speak to about footy regularly outside this forum,) share the opinion that Rabs is long over the hill, Gould spends more time picking arguments and calling the play after it's happened, Wally and Fatty are completely unprofessional and Freddy/Joey are a pair of space cadets.

I don't know anyone who doesn't have issues with the commentary on 9. Does Nein look at their ratings and assume everyone loves the commentary when in actual fact it's very likely people probably just watch the coverage because they likely don't have Foxtel and it is the only way to view it FTA. Just because people have no other choice to watch it doesn't mean that they endorse the coverage.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 9:22 am

Cultured Bogan wrote: That's the thing, I don't know what key demographics it appeals to. I get the vibe that most on this forum (and other people I speak to about footy regularly outside this forum,) share the opinion that Rabs is long over the hill, Gould spends more time picking arguments and calling the play after it's happened, Wally and Fatty are completely unprofessional and Freddy/Joey are a pair of space cadets.
The same sort of people who watch the Footy Show.

I agree with your complaints, but people like me are going to watch anyways. It's the casual viewers that bump up the ratings. I'll often go to work and hear some dill repeating one of Gus's "witticisms" from FNF.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 3:01 pm

i like ray warren ,but the bickering between he and gould is a bore.

i also watch foxsports and grimace every time braith anasta opens his mouth.he says something and then contradicts himself in the same sentence.

i dont notice the rest of the commentary,so it must be good.

all commentators should take a leaf out of richie benauds book.every picture tells a story,so the least commentary is sometimes best.