Four Nations

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 4694
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: Four Nations

Unread post by Fade To Black » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 10:06 pm

innsaneink wrote:Ok... It seemed like you were trying to say you thought he wasn't ready for that level of footy yet
Yep, saw it that way as well.
He would easily handle the step up and play great.


User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10768
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by stryker » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 10:22 pm

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
My point if the NRL wanted to make a true statement to Numbnuts Fifita that would of made a real point they would of made him stand down from the GF

Not some two bit comp that players only give two tosses about because they get $20 k a game
There the problem lies with numbnuts (insert Queensland supporters) like you..who see Origin as the pinnacle of Rugby League...

Representing your Country is the highest honour you can achieve...thankfully Mal and Cammy see it as far from a Micky Mouse tournament giving the Australian jumper the respect it deserves...
Not all of us Geo. I rate the Australian jersey far above the Queensland one. In fact most of my greatest memories in RL involve Kangaroo tours and watching our best take on the Poms. Lately the Kiwi clashes have been even better.

User avatar
pHyR3
Member
Member
Posts: 5024
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 7:11 pm

Unread post by pHyR3 » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 10:27 pm

happy tiger wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Congrats to Woodsy

But here is the thing that just makes the NRL look like they are true nongs and have no idea

Andrew Fifita is deemed worthy enough able to win a premiership ring , something that means more to any player that anything else , yet is deemed not worthy enough to play in some two bit international comp that's really only means $20 k a game to the Australian players in real terms

Gee I bet Fifita is bawling his eyes out into his teacup at the moment
what does winning a ring have to do with anything? lots of players werent selected that have won rings

is it only 20k? i thought it was same payment as origin, 30k
My point if the NRL wanted to make a true statement to Numbnuts Fifita that would of made a real point they would of made him stand down from the GF

Not some two bit comp that players only give two tosses about because they get $20 k a game
well even the two bit comp warm up match outrated most friday night games with a million people (and probably got more attendance too)
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 35889
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 11:31 pm

stryker wrote:
Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
My point if the NRL wanted to make a true statement to Numbnuts Fifita that would of made a real point they would of made him stand down from the GF

Not some two bit comp that players only give two tosses about because they get $20 k a game
There the problem lies with numbnuts (insert Queensland supporters) like you..who see Origin as the pinnacle of Rugby League...

Representing your Country is the highest honour you can achieve...thankfully Mal and Cammy see it as far from a Micky Mouse tournament giving the Australian jumper the respect it deserves...
Not all of us Geo. I rate the Australian jersey far above the Queensland one. In fact most of my greatest memories in RL involve Kangaroo tours and watching our best take on the Poms. Lately the Kiwi clashes have been even better.
Here is the interesting question I have then

Seeing that the RLPA are involved in helping set up the fees for SOO ,Tests etc , why do you think that they get paid 30 K for SOO and only 20 k for Tests .....

Yep the players love the National jersey ......., its just not worth that much , that's all :roll: :lol:

User avatar
Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 2581
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 6:32 am

David Kidwell and New Zealand Rugby League slammed for amateur mistake

Tyson Otto
news.com.au
@tottodtsport
KANGAROOS Test great Matthew Johns has thrown New Zealand’s entire coaching system under the bus for the inexcusable blunder of forgetting about superstar Jason Taumalolo.
The Cowboys wrecking ball was held back on the bench for the first 26 minutes of the second half of Australia’s 26-6 win over New Zealand in Perth on Saturday.
Rookie mentor David Kidwell has repeatedly accepted blame for the blunder by claiming he simply forgot about the man awarded the best player in the NRL alongside Cooper Cronk at the 2016 Dally M Awards.
Johns said the decision not to bring Taumalolo back into the game until the 64th minute was bewildering but believes it is totally unfair for Kidwell to take all the blame.
“Luckily they got their interchange wrong as well,” Johns told Triple M’s The Grill Team.
“They had Taumalolo on the bench for most of the second half and you’re going, ‘What? What?’.
“That’s where you go to your assistant coaches. That’s their job.
“The really top coaches like Craig Bellamy, he has a person in the background and all he’s working on, he’s got a whiteboard, and all he’s working on is tracking the players and the interchange to see who’s getting tired and how long guys are off for.
“It’s almost a mathematical equation. So Kidwell and his assistants were obviously sitting there watching the game. Then suddenly they’ve gone, ‘Oh hang on’.”
Kangaroos Test legend Mark Geyer said Australia’s smaller forwards dominated their New Zealand opposites while Taumalolo was nowhere to be seen.
“The best player in the comp, the best forward in the comp and you’ve got him sitting on the bench getting splinters in his a***,” Geyer said.
“When we spoke about this before the game we said it’s the biggest, meanest pack the Kiwis had ever had, but they were dominated by the likes of (Trent) Merrin with footwork.”
Kidwell reiterated that the blunder was his fault when speaking with Newstalk ZB.
“The rotation for me was a big learning curve and I didn’t intend on that happening like that,” Kidwell said.
“We’ll sit down as a coaching staff and have a look at that and, obviously, one of those points is making sure that JT (Taumalolo) is playing a bit more time and make sure that that doesn’t happen again.

“I’ll take full responsibility for that but I’ve got to learn from that and moving forward making sure that that doesn’t happen again.”
“Just some basic fundamental errors that people don’t usually make.
“I’m only three weeks into the job and very disappointed in the result, yes.
“But the way we prepared, the culture that we’re trying to instil in these guys, I couldn’t be happier that way.
“Yes we have to fix some stuff at training and we’ve addressed that as a team and as a senior leadership group.
“I’ve got to look at some stuff as a new coach myself and make sure that we move forward and get it right for what is going to be the opening test of the Four Nations against England.”
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...


User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10328
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 6:39 am

happy tiger wrote: Here is the interesting question I have then

Seeing that the RLPA are involved in helping set up the fees for SOO ,Tests etc , why do you think that they get paid 30 K for SOO and only 20 k for Tests .....

Yep the players love the National jersey ......., its just not worth that much , that's all :roll: :lol:
While the RLPA exercise some form of extortion over the ARLC, the main determining factor is TV Rights Money... SOO & Tests Matches are structured individually within the process and accrue different values.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24530
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 197 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 7:48 am

happy tiger wrote:
stryker wrote:
Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
My point if the NRL wanted to make a true statement to Numbnuts Fifita that would of made a real point they would of made him stand down from the GF

Not some two bit comp that players only give two tosses about because they get $20 k a game
There the problem lies with numbnuts (insert Queensland supporters) like you..who see Origin as the pinnacle of Rugby League...

Representing your Country is the highest honour you can achieve...thankfully Mal and Cammy see it as far from a Micky Mouse tournament giving the Australian jumper the respect it deserves...
Not all of us Geo. I rate the Australian jersey far above the Queensland one. In fact most of my greatest memories in RL involve Kangaroo tours and watching our best take on the Poms. Lately the Kiwi clashes have been even better.
Here is the interesting question I have then

Seeing that the RLPA are involved in helping set up the fees for SOO ,Tests etc , why do you think that they get paid 30 K for SOO and only 20 k for Tests .....

Yep the players love the National jersey ......., its just not worth that much , that's all :roll: :lol:
Thanks for confirming your numbnuts status..it's not all about money..it's about Pride and Respect in representing your Nation...

Besides the flow on effect in representing your Country generally means bonuses built in at Club level and increasing a players value long term...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1605
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 9:19 am

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
stryker wrote:
Geo. wrote:
There the problem lies with numbnuts (insert Queensland supporters) like you..who see Origin as the pinnacle of Rugby League...

Representing your Country is the highest honour you can achieve...thankfully Mal and Cammy see it as far from a Micky Mouse tournament giving the Australian jumper the respect it deserves...
Not all of us Geo. I rate the Australian jersey far above the Queensland one. In fact most of my greatest memories in RL involve Kangaroo tours and watching our best take on the Poms. Lately the Kiwi clashes have been even better.
Here is the interesting question I have then

Seeing that the RLPA are involved in helping set up the fees for SOO ,Tests etc , why do you think that they get paid 30 K for SOO and only 20 k for Tests .....

Yep the players love the National jersey ......., its just not worth that much , that's all :roll: :lol:
Thanks for confirming your numbnuts status..it's not all about money..it's about Pride and Respect in representing your Nation...

Besides the flow on effect in representing your Country generally means bonuses built in at Club level and increasing a players value long term...
The money doesn't represent value it is about the money generated from the games. If i recall correctly the SOO is consistently a higher financial return and the players rightly want their share of it.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 35889
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 12:19 pm

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
stryker wrote:
Geo. wrote:
There the problem lies with numbnuts (insert Queensland supporters) like you..who see Origin as the pinnacle of Rugby League...

Representing your Country is the highest honour you can achieve...thankfully Mal and Cammy see it as far from a Micky Mouse tournament giving the Australian jumper the respect it deserves...
Not all of us Geo. I rate the Australian jersey far above the Queensland one. In fact most of my greatest memories in RL involve Kangaroo tours and watching our best take on the Poms. Lately the Kiwi clashes have been even better.
Here is the interesting question I have then

Seeing that the RLPA are involved in helping set up the fees for SOO ,Tests etc , why do you think that they get paid 30 K for SOO and only 20 k for Tests .....

Yep the players love the National jersey ......., its just not worth that much , that's all :roll: :lol:
Thanks for confirming your numbnuts status..it's not all about money..it's about Pride and Respect in representing your Nation...

Besides the flow on effect in representing your Country generally means bonuses built in at Club level and increasing a players value long term...
Thank you for confirming you have no idea how footballers think

I am yet to see a modern day footballer at the end of their career when asked what their favourite memory or career highlight was ( if they have won a premiership ) say that winning a premiership isn't the highlight

Players you spend maybe 5-6 weeks throughout a season with doesn't compare with blokes you may have played a career with for anywhere between 36-40 weeks of the year for 10+ years

Yes rep honours are important to players and it help their contract $$'s at the end of the day , but if you asked a player would they prefer to win a premiership or play for Australia I would say 90+% would say premiership

I totally agree with you Geo , but I don't think many players would agree

Premierships are more important than rep honours to players

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10768
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by stryker » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 12:50 pm

I dont believe that argument.
They are two different entities.
The players strive for the premiership and hold it in very high regard. However when that dream ends each year they want that International honour just as much.
Are you telling us that those in contention who miss out on the WC squad next year won't be fazed as their eyes are on the 2018 premiership? Not a chance.

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 7:49 pm

stryker wrote:I dont believe that argument.
They are two different entities.
The players strive for the premiership and hold it in very high regard. However when that dream ends each year they want that International honour just as much.
Are you telling us that those in contention who miss out on the WC squad next year won't be fazed as their eyes are on the 2018 premiership? Not a chance.
The players are focused on playing their best and building their reputation.
The higher the reputation the higher the $$$.
I am sure the players take each game as it comes.
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 4761
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 8:26 pm

innsaneink wrote: If Boyd went down Teddy would slot straight in... Ready... There's only so many can be chosen
Totally agree, 100%, fully and unequivocally.

Boyd is there because he's an incumbent and it will remain that way so long as his form keeps up.

Tedesco is as good a fullback as Boyd, but that's like saying Benny was as good a hooker as Walters, Farah was as good a hooker as Smith and Garry Jack was as good a fullback as Belcher - doesn't really matter if the guy in front of you is doing well.

The thing about Mal that annoyed me was him saying Boyd was "the premier FB in the game", just a short while after Tedesco was named the premier FB in the game 2016 at a lavish awards ceremony. Both of them are popularity contests, let us just leave it at that.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 35889
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 12:39 am

stryker wrote:I dont believe that argument.
They are two different entities.
The players strive for the premiership and hold it in very high regard. However when that dream ends each year they want that International honour just as much.
Are you telling us that those in contention who miss out on the WC squad next year won't be fazed as their eyes are on the 2018 premiership? Not a chance.
I reckon the hurt from playing in a losing GF would hurt a player far more than missing a World Cup squad

User avatar
Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1605
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 9:57 am

happy tiger wrote:
stryker wrote:I dont believe that argument.
They are two different entities.
The players strive for the premiership and hold it in very high regard. However when that dream ends each year they want that International honour just as much.
Are you telling us that those in contention who miss out on the WC squad next year won't be fazed as their eyes are on the 2018 premiership? Not a chance.
I reckon the hurt from playing in a losing GF would hurt a player far more than missing a World Cup squad
Agree 100%. not making a rep team would hurt but training all off season, trial games, then the season proper, semi's to make the GF and to lose is worse hands down!

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 4:56 pm

IMO

Tedeso is way better than Boyd. Moylan is better than Boyd. GI is better than Boyd. Slater is better than Boyd. Valentine Holmes is better than Boyd. Ben Barba is better than Boyd. Hayne (at best) is better than Boyd.

That is 7 (australian) fullbacks better than Boyd.

I wouldn't think Boyd would make the side considering the fullback talent above him.

IMO
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10768
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 5:28 pm

When it comes to the rep arena only Slater is ahead of Boyd

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 5:42 pm

stryker wrote:When it comes to the rep arena only Slater is ahead of Boyd
Of the 7 listed Slater and GIare better than Boyd
But in club football 7 are better than Boyd.
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 5:45 pm

stryker wrote:When it comes to the rep arena only Slater is ahead of Boyd
IMO Only Slater and GI better than Boyd in the rep arena.
In the club arena 7 are better than Boyd.
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

Post Reply

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”