stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Four Nations

Unread post by stryker » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 5:56 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
stryker wrote:When it comes to the rep arena only Slater is ahead of Boyd
Of the 7 listed Slater and GIare better than Boyd
But in club football 7 are better than Boyd.
I dont agree.

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 6:03 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:IMO

Tedeso is way better than Boyd. Moylan is better than Boyd. GI is better than Boyd. Slater is better than Boyd. Valentine Holmes is better than Boyd. Ben Barba is better than Boyd. Hayne (at best) is better than Boyd.

That is 7 (australian) fullbacks better than Boyd.

I wouldn't think Boyd would make the side considering the fullback talent above him.

IMO
The fact you havnt mentioned Coote in your 7 better than Boyd explains alot!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

fibrodreaming

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 6:18 pm

happy tiger wrote:
stryker wrote:I dont believe that argument.
They are two different entities.
The players strive for the premiership and hold it in very high regard. However when that dream ends each year they want that International honour just as much.
Are you telling us that those in contention who miss out on the WC squad next year won't be fazed as their eyes are on the 2018 premiership? Not a chance.
I reckon the hurt from playing in a losing GF would hurt a player far more than missing a World Cup squad
Recently The Roar had a thread on the greatest player never to win a GF. I immediately thought of Tommy Raudonikis. Based on your comments above happy, suppose we gave Tommy the choice of which he would prefer:

We ask him would he prefer to be the premier half-back of the 1970s and (usually) selected to play for Australia; or, to never have represented Australia (or NSW) but to have won a GF with the Magpies.

What do you think he would choose? Which achievement would give him most satisfaction?

I suggest representing Australia will have given him more satisfaction. After all, there are plenty of "neville nobodies" that have been part of a GF winning team, most of whom we have forgotten, but there are not many greats of the game. Tommy's representative record puts him firmly in that category and I think it is his representative record that he would take, given the choice.

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 8:02 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
WestsBenTigers wrote:IMO

Tedeso is way better than Boyd. Moylan is better than Boyd. GI is better than Boyd. Slater is better than Boyd. Valentine Holmes is better than Boyd. Ben Barba is better than Boyd. Hayne (at best) is better than Boyd.

That is 7 (australian) fullbacks better than Boyd.

I wouldn't think Boyd would make the side considering the fullback talent above him.

IMO
The fact you havnt mentioned Coote in your 7 better than Boyd explains alot!
When Coote is in form, Yes he is better than Boyd.

But considering Coote hasn't had the greatest of seasons, I would (currently) rank Boyd above Coote
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 8:33 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
The players strive for the premiership and hold it in very high regard. However when that dream ends each year they want that International honour just as much.
Are you telling us that those in contention who miss out on the WC squad next year won't be fazed as their eyes are on the 2018 premiership? Not a chance.
I reckon the hurt from playing in a losing GF would hurt a player far more than missing a World Cup squad
Recently The Roar had a thread on the greatest player never to win a GF. I immediately thought of Tommy Raudonikis. Based on your comments above happy, suppose we gave Tommy the choice of which he would prefer:

We ask him would he prefer to be the premier half-back of the 1970s and (usually) selected to play for Australia; or, to never have represented Australia (or NSW) but to have won a GF with the Magpies.

What do you think he would choose? Which achievement would give him most satisfaction?

I suggest representing Australia will have given him more satisfaction. After all, there are plenty of "neville nobodies" that have been part of a GF winning team, most of whom we have forgotten, but there are not many greats of the game. Tommy's representative record puts him firmly in that category and I think it is his representative record that he would take, given the choice.
I've asked Siro, Benny and Jnr and the answer is they would rather have won a GF! They are proud of their state and aussie jerseys but the GF burns.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 11:49 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Fibro if your going to pass judgement on my comments , read the whole thread , I was talking about modern day players , go back and look at any old interview from the Sterlo show , every player who has won a premiership said his biggest or favourite achievement is winning GF 's

Don't shoot the bloody messenger , for Christ sake , go back and loom at what the players themselves say :brick:

fibrodreaming

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Thu 20 Oct, 2016 11:47 am

Happy, contrary to your assertion, I did read the whole thread.

The relevant section relates to your observation: “I am yet to see a modern day footballer at the end of their career when asked what their favourite memory or career highlight was (if they have won a premiership ) say that winning a premiership isn't the highlight”. You then infer from this that: “Premierships are more important than rep honours to players”.

It seems to me that your conclusion, while it may be true, does not follow from your premise. Based on your account, the players were not asked the direct question about GFs verses rep honours, and they did not say that winning GFs was more important than rep honours. That’s an inference on your part.

You may well be right however, but it's an assumption.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 20 Oct, 2016 2:06 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:Happy, contrary to your assertion, I did read the whole thread.

The relevant section relates to your observation: “I am yet to see a modern day footballer at the end of their career when asked what their favourite memory or career highlight was (if they have won a premiership ) say that winning a premiership isn't the highlight”. You then infer from this that: “Premierships are more important than rep honours to players”.

It seems to me that your conclusion, while it may be true, does not follow from your premise. Based on your account, the players were not asked the direct question about GFs verses rep honours, and they did not say that winning GFs was more important than rep honours. That’s an inference on your part.

You may well be right however, but it's an assumption.
In that case they would answer what was their career highlight they would say their SOO debut , winning their first SOO series , or their selection and debut for Australia

Premierships mean so much to players because it takes so much time and effort

I'm not a Gallen fan , but look at him , how many seasons in Grade did it take him to win one

Champion players get representative honours , but they aren't guaranteed premierships because they are champion players

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:19 pm

Meninga names Roos side for clash with Scotland..

The full team will line up as:
1. Matt Moylan
2. Josh Mansour
3. Justin O'Neill
4. Josh Dugan
5. Blake Ferguson
6. James Maloney
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Aaron Woods
9. Cameron Smith (capt.)
10. David Klemmer
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Jake Trbojevic
Interchange:
14. Jake Friend
15. Shannon Boyd
16. Trent Merrin
17. Michael Morgan
18. Valentine Holmes
19. Boyd Cordner

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016 ... team_.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Fade To Black
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 10:11 pm

You can tell they are playing a nuffie nation, the wingers and centres (apart from perhaps Mansour) are as bad as I can ever remember getting the privelidge of playing for Australia. The Kiwis will be hoping they stick with that combo for the final I'd bet.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 10:24 pm

Fade To Black wrote:You can tell they are playing a nuffie nation, the wingers and centres (apart from perhaps Mansour) are as bad as I can ever remember getting the privelidge of playing for Australia. The Kiwis will be hoping they stick with that combo for the final I'd bet.
I'd take Dugan at the WT's as a centre in a heartbeat and Nielsen is miles ahead of anything we currently have

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 10:31 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:You can tell they are playing a nuffie nation, the wingers and centres (apart from perhaps Mansour) are as bad as I can ever remember getting the privelidge of playing for Australia. The Kiwis will be hoping they stick with that combo for the final I'd bet.
I'd take Dugan at the WT's as a centre in a heartbeat and Nielsen is miles ahead of anything we currently have
When did Nielsen change his name to O'Neill... :?

Late call up...?
Ivan's Laws

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 10:37 pm

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
I'd take Dugan at the WT's as a centre in a heartbeat and O'Neill
is miles ahead of anything we currently have
When did O'Neill change his name to Neilsen :?

Late call up...?
What are you talking about now :crazy .........

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 10:44 pm

Might want to edit your OP ..it still says Neilsen...

Long day...
Ivan's Laws

Fade To Black
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 2:10 am

happy tiger wrote:
Nielson is crap, he couldn't get a game for St George when he was with them. I'm happy WT have Simona compared to him.
As far as O'niell goes.....the bloke who is actually playing for Australia this weekend......he is pretty bloody ordinary IMO.
Dugan isn't a centre's backside. Good fullback yes, in the centre's he is substandard.

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 5:53 am

Have you guys heard about the 60 test reward?

How it works is, if you play 30 tests you will get a bronze kangaroo on your sleeve
If you play 40 tests for Australia then you get a silver kangaroo on your sleeve.
If you play 50 tests for Australia then you will get a gold kangaroo on your sleeve

If you play 60 tests for Australia then you get a personalised purple jersey. Different from the rest of the team. The purple is a mixture of maroon and blue.
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 5:54 am

I understand it's good to give everyone a run on tour, but we should alway pick the best team to represent our country each and every time.

Fire up boys!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 8:33 am

Tiger Watto wrote:I understand it's good to give everyone a run on tour, but we should alway pick the best team to represent our country each and every time.

Fire up boys!
That sounds fine Watto , but how would of any NSW's player bar Gallen have won a Test jersey in the last 12 years ....... :lol:

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”