Super League and Rugby League Abroad
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 261 times

Roos v Kiwis Perth*Live Game Thread...

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 8:05 pm

Fire up Roos ...smash the freeloaders...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 8:20 pm

JWH coathangers Thuston....
Ivan's Laws

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 8:26 pm

Darius scores for the Roos as we open them up easuly on the left edge Roos 4-0....
Ivan's Laws

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 8:32 pm

Holmes brillance down the touchiline chips infield off Kahu's head for Inglis to score...Roos 8-0.....
Ivan's Laws

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 8:35 pm

Kiwis defending like a David Kidwell coached side :roll:
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 8:39 pm

Kiwis hit back through Proctor from a nice short ball from Johnson straight through Thurston Roos 8-6...
Ivan's Laws

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 9:02 pm

HT Roos 8 Kiwis 6... Good rugged footy...Australia all over them for the first 20min then Kiwis finished the better side in the final 20...
Ivan's Laws

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 9:21 pm

Holmes opens the scoring early in the 2nd half on the back of a Kiwi dropped ball Roos 14-8...
Ivan's Laws

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 9:47 pm

How does merrin not make the blues squad.

Some promising nsw players.

Blake ferg is not a rep player

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 10:05 pm

Spartan117 wrote:How does merrin not make the blues squad.

Some promising nsw players.

Blake ferg is not a rep player

He usually does, doesn't he?

Lacklustre match really, I expected a lot more from that NZ team, tbh.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

VanillaThunder
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by VanillaThunder » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 7:14 am

Managed to get down to the game, was a nice atmosphere that petered out a bit as the points started flowing, but that might have been me sitting in a pro-Kiwi section. Here's my thoughts for those with the time to read. Haven't seen a replay yet so this is based purely on my observations live.

Frizell and Thaiday kickstarted us. Cordner struggled early on, and while Thaiday wasn't exactly rolling through the middle, he always had that extra bit of energy to him that seemed to lift those around him. Frizell has that jumper as long as he wants it, hit hard and ran harder, just can't decide whether his impact will be sacrificed if he starts.
Gillett was a beast. Started quiet but really grew another leg while the Aussies struggled through the middle of the game, was a shame when he was taken off but Cordner played well on return.
Merrin and Boyd deserve to stay. I was critical of the Boyd selection but he offers something that every other Aussie prop considered rep quality bar maybe Fifita doesn't, though he runs a lot straighter than Andrew. Merrin should be a perennial blue and his second phase play was dangerous all night - contrast him to Taupau who had more impact but no support on his offload.
Breezer Bros time is up. Ferguson tried hard, but for two blokes who were supposedly best friends they have no chemistry whatsoever. Holmes was great, and though it'll only add to the Maroon-washing calls, Slater and Chambers will make this side infinitely better - though I would split up the Inglis-Boyd love in to get Holmes more quality ball.
Moylan for Morgan. It was an interesting substitute in the first place, the game hadn't really opened up and we were rolling pretty well, but Michael Morgan struggled a bit trying to find his niche in the team. He plays well off Thurston as a running five eighth in club but I think he's just a bit too limited here. Moylan, while not as defensively capable, is much more creative and skilled, and would provide a definite point of difference off the bench. That being said, Mal picked a squad to go forward and Morgan does that better than Moylan. I think we need the utility on the bench, if only to balance the minutes for the forwards, and Moylan is possibly the most diverse player in the comp.
Scott's still got it. Outpointed Bromwich easily, he made the ad line and some every carry and while not spectacular, he's the sort of no-frills prop that every team needs.

The Kiwis were unorganised. Absolutely no fifth tackle option (the best kick of the night was a sort of floating torpedo from Luke that Boyd wanted no piece of, unfortunately it bounced dead) was a bad start, and they just seemed to have no structure in attack outside of throw it to Johnson and let him decide to go short to Proctor or wide to Kata. Lewis Brown was out of his depth, and while Leuluai was strong defensively, he didn't bring much else to the table. You could put it down to either adjusting to a new coach or the coach just not being good enough. When they needed a spark, Taumalolo and Taupau were sat on the bench.
Kahu isn't a rep fullback. I love Jordan Kahu, I think he goes great at the Broncos but he missed a beat tonight. He has a solid running game and while the rest of the back 5 came in often looking for work (bar maybe Rapana), I barely sighted Kahu. If nothing else he should've sat in Taupau's pocket all night. The return of Tuivasa-Sheck should push him to wing and simplify his role a bit.
Big pack flops. Bromwich and Waerea-Hargreaves were non-existent and Taumalolo struggled. Johnson was a shadow of his potential without a controlling half next to him. They're notoriously slow burners though so I wouldn't bet against them winning the Four Nations.

Overall it played like a post-season one-off, but it was a great advertisement for the game out west, and while I think we're still a few years off a NRL team it's only going from strength to strength. The Aussies looked revitalized by some of the new faces and it gives me confidence that we can roll through the Four Nations and play like everyone knows we can. It's only up for New Zealand, the less said the better.

fibrodreaming

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks for the summary VT. JWH is an enigma is he not? So dominant at club level (and against us) but at the international level he is underwhelming.

I think the Kiwis will be concerned at how the Kangaroo pack dominated them. It was their pack that was supposed to provide the winning edge. Without a dominant pack the Kiwis lack the polish in the backs to worry the Kangaroos.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 11:05 am

Very good summation Vanilla.
I thought the pigs won the middle with their consistent class. Boyd did an awesome job. Woods should struggle to regain his spot. He is certainly not a walk up starter for mine.

magpiecol
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 12:05 pm

stryker wrote:Very good summation Vanilla.
I thought the pigs won the middle with their consistent class. Boyd did an awesome job. Woods should struggle to regain his spot. He is certainly not a walk up starter for mine.

First prop picked.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 12:22 pm

Lol Scott eats him alive.

Nelson
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Nelson » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 12:30 pm

stryker wrote:Lol Scott eats him alive.
Not at the back end of the season he didn't, he was in a bit of a form slump for mine. Looked better again last night though. I think Scott and Woods are a good starting pair and then it's out of Fifita, Boyd and Klemmer for the bench impact roles.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 12:33 pm

Biggest Kiwi problem is that Luke and Johnson don't combine well , I think Johnson in the future will be far better off with Leuleui at 9 and Johnson at 7 with Luke off the bench

Luke doesn't get them playing direct enough and Johnson struggles to know what Luke is going to do

They will be a thousand % better side with RTS and Foran both back as well

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 1:53 pm

Is Simona eligible to play for NZ?

He would be way better than SKD
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul