Kidwell critised for NZs halves choice....

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Kidwell critised for NZs halves choice....

Unread post by TrueTiger » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 8:55 am

Kidwell has been critised for using T.Harris who is a back rower,in the halves and giving Shaun Johnson a heap of pressure during the tournament...T.M.Martin should have been given the opportunity to show his skills,but Kidwell left him in the stands...

I don't think Kidwell leaving us was a drama,losing T.M.Martin may have been a bad decision as he looks like developing into a fine playmaker,we won't know until we see more of him during the next season,but then again Moses is getting better every year,Brooks needs to start showing more this next season..

I could be wrong but I don't reckon Kidwell will be a great NRL coach,I could be wrong...

source .....Foxsport email this morning...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

tigerap
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by tigerap » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 9:10 am

TrueTiger wrote:Kidwell has been critised for using T.Harris who is a back rower,in the halves and giving Shaun Johnson a heap of pressure during the tournament...T.M.Martin should have been given the opportunity to show his skills,but Kidwell left him in the stands...

I don't think Kidwell leaving us was a drama,losing T.M.Martin may have been a bad decision as he looks like developing into a fine playmaker,we won't know until we see more of him during the next season,but then again Moses is getting better every year,Brooks needs to start showing more this next season..

I could be wrong but I don't reckon Kidwell will be a great NRL coach,I could be wrong...

source .....Foxsport email this morning...
You could be right....

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 9:11 am

He should be copping it for the way they defended as well.

Nelson
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by Nelson » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 9:26 am

Yes it was a terrible decision to run Harris out at 5/8 when he had an option in Martin. Harris has played 5/8 for Melbourne before but only when there was no other option. It's less of a problem when he plays for Melbourne too because of how much play making Smith does. Luke on the other hand is a running hooker, so NZ were basically heaping all play making responsibility on Johnson. Johnson and responsibility don't go well together.

I'm glad we've parted ways with Kidwell...

InBenjiWeTrust
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 9:54 am

Sheensians on this forum must be happy, see "brick-hands" Lawrence at 5/8?? :D

underdog

Unread post by underdog » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:24 am

Kidwell coaching ability has been exposed this series.

The Kiwis really underperformed the whole way through, looked stifled, and really missed the foil to Shaun Johnson, where the Kangaroos seemed to cruise effortlessly through the series keeping everyone at arms length, and effectively won the tournament without leaving first gear.

Benji Marshall at 6 would have even been a better choice than Tohu Harris.

underdog

Unread post by underdog » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:34 am

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:Sheensians on this forum must be happy, see "brick-hands" Lawrence at 5/8?? :D
Here's the thing about that though

If Lawrence still had the speed and lateral movement he had before his major injury, I think today we'd be lauding him as a quality 5/8 who has a handful of origin games under his belt.

He was thrust into the position rather awkwardly by Sheens, however I think a smoother transition may well have happened over the 2nd half of 2011/start of 2012

TopTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by TopTiger » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:54 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:He should be copping it for the way they defended as well.
Obviously he was relying on the tried and tested Tigers defensive structure and we all know how well that has worked in the past!! :crazy

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 11:05 am

Nelson wrote:Yes it was a terrible decision to run Harris out at 5/8 when he had an option in Martin. Harris has played 5/8 for Melbourne before but only when there was no other option. It's less of a problem when he plays for Melbourne too because of how much play making Smith does. Luke on the other hand is a running hooker, so NZ were basically heaping all play making responsibility on Johnson. Johnson and responsibility don't go well together.

I think you'd rather Leuleui at 9 with Johnson at 7 with Luke off the bench

Nelson

Unread post by Nelson » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 12:06 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Nelson wrote:Yes it was a terrible decision to run Harris out at 5/8 when he had an option in Martin. Harris has played 5/8 for Melbourne before but only when there was no other option. It's less of a problem when he plays for Melbourne too because of how much play making Smith does. Luke on the other hand is a running hooker, so NZ were basically heaping all play making responsibility on Johnson. Johnson and responsibility don't go well together.

I think you'd rather Leuleui at 9 with Johnson at 7 with Luke off the bench
Leulaui was injured so I don't think you can hold that against him in the final,

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 12:13 pm

What a ridiculous statement... Martin has play 5min of top level rugby league and should be no where near Test Football.

Someone else mentioned it, but Defence was their biggest problem the whole tournament. Lazy and lacked concentration on the edges.

Another playmaker would of been beneficial for Johnson, but Martin wasnt the answer.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Nelson

Unread post by Nelson » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 12:28 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:What a ridiculous statement... Martin has play 5min of top level rugby league and should be no where near Test Football.

Someone else mentioned it, but Defence was their biggest problem the whole tournament. Lazy and lacked concentration on the edges.

Another playmaker would of been beneficial for Johnson, but Martin wasnt the answer.
They didn't have any other options and while defence has been a problem for them, so has attack. That is part of the reason they only scored 8 points in the final and only 18 against Scotland. Focusing everything on Johnson makes him easy to shut down, plus he implodes under pressure.

On the defensive front Martin is at least used to positioning himself in the line at 5/8 whereas Harris isn't.

I can see why you might've preferred more experience but it's hardly ridiculous to say they should have run out another play maker, regardless of their experience...

Tiger Watto

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 1:07 pm

I'm not sure if they had any other talent, but cant agree on playing Martin... But it wouldve been hilarious watching Cordner run over him 20 times?!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Nelson

Unread post by Nelson » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 1:16 pm

Jesse Bromwich (c, Melbourne Storm), Gerard Beale (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks), Adam Blair (Brisbane Broncos), Lewis Brown (Manly Sea Eagles), Greg Eastwood (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), James Fisher-Harris (Penrith Panthers), David Fusitu'a (New Zealand Warriors), Tohu Harris (Melbourne Storm), Shaun Johnson (New Zealand Warriors), Jordan Kahu (Brisbane Broncos), Solomone Kata (New Zealand Warriors), Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Sydney Roosters), Thomas Leuluai (New Zealand Warriors), Issac Luke (New Zealand Warriors), Te Maire Martin (Penrith Panthers), Manu Ma'u (Parramatta Eels), Jason Nightingale (St George Illawarra Dragons), Kevin Proctor (Melbourne Storm), Jordan Rapana (Canberra Raiders), Joseph Tapine (Canberra Raiders), Jason Taumalolo (North Queensland Cowboys), Martin Taupau (Manly Sea Eagles), Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters), Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Penrith Panthers).

They had nothing else with Leuluai out...

We'll see how he goes defensively at NRL level this season. In his 6 games last season at 5/8 he managed:

v Brisbane: 25T (2 MT)
v Dragons: 24T (1 MT)
v Eels: 25T (3 MT)
v Cowboys: 21T (3 MT)
v Roosters: 27T (4 MT)
v Sharks: 10T (1 MT)

...that's a pretty sizeable defensive load for a 5/8 so he was clearly being targeted. Those stats do not suggest that he's an enormous defensive liability. An international pack should have been able to shield him just fine.

Tiger Watto

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 1:36 pm

Nelson wrote:Jesse Bromwich (c, Melbourne Storm), Gerard Beale (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks), Adam Blair (Brisbane Broncos), Lewis Brown (Manly Sea Eagles), Greg Eastwood (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), James Fisher-Harris (Penrith Panthers), David Fusitu'a (New Zealand Warriors), Tohu Harris (Melbourne Storm), Shaun Johnson (New Zealand Warriors), Jordan Kahu (Brisbane Broncos), Solomone Kata (New Zealand Warriors), Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Sydney Roosters), Thomas Leuluai (New Zealand Warriors), Issac Luke (New Zealand Warriors), Te Maire Martin (Penrith Panthers), Manu Ma'u (Parramatta Eels), Jason Nightingale (St George Illawarra Dragons), Kevin Proctor (Melbourne Storm), Jordan Rapana (Canberra Raiders), Joseph Tapine (Canberra Raiders), Jason Taumalolo (North Queensland Cowboys), Martin Taupau (Manly Sea Eagles), Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters), Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Penrith Panthers).

They had nothing else with Leuluai out...

We'll see how he goes defensively at NRL level this season. In his 6 games last season at 5/8 he managed:

v Brisbane: 25T (2 MT)
v Dragons: 24T (1 MT)
v Eels: 25T (3 MT)
v Cowboys: 21T (3 MT)
v Roosters: 27T (4 MT)
v Sharks: 10T (1 MT)

...that's a pretty sizeable defensive load for a 5/8 so he was clearly being targeted. Those stats do not suggest that he's an enormous defensive liability. An international pack should have been able to shield him just fine.
lol... They couldnt shield the other morons they already had out there.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 210 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 2:01 pm

Not sure why this was in the Wests Tigers section as Kidwell no longer has anything to do with us....so it has been moved to the appropriate section....Kia Ora David...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Fade To Black
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 2:52 pm

Kidwell can't coach to save himself...that much is blatantly obvious.
NZ wouldn't of played any better in the final with Leuluai in the 6- he is useless IMO.
ET would of been a handy choice in their forward pack though.

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”