Tue 17 Oct, 2017 6:22 am
Munk wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:40 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 6:43 pm
Russell wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 3:22 pm

Two very good reasons come to mind.

1. The World Cup is for teams from Countries not for people within a country.

2. The Aboriginals are covered in the World Cup because they are Australians. This system is working as it
is promoting unity and not segregation.

That's why they don't have a team in the World Cup BBF.
Strictly speaking, due to their being no treaty with the Aborigines the Aborigines have the legal right to declare an independent country. A precedent under different conditions was the broad acceptance of Kosovo, done without the agreement of majority ruling Serbia refer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... _of_Kosovo
Every forum has its resident kook who thinks they are funny stiring the pot on idiot agendas...nice to meet you.
One day Timor Leste may have it's national rugby league team playing in the World Cup so too may the Australian natives have the same right. On a few occasions in my lifetime Aborigines have attempted their nationalist inspirations - their Aboriginal passports were recognised by some of the non-aligned countries. It is not too far-fetched to consider in the future they may have a soccer team accepted by some progressive European, African and Pacific nations.
As I mentioned earlier - do we as a nation want integration or are we trying to split the population?

Talk like this does not help the "healing process" - are we all one or just some of us?

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:11 am

Russell wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:28 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Munk wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 6:43 pm

Strictly speaking, due to their being no treaty with the Aborigines the Aborigines have the legal right to declare an independent country. A precedent under different conditions was the broad acceptance of Kosovo, done without the agreement of majority ruling Serbia refer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... _of_Kosovo
Every forum has its resident kook who thinks they are funny stiring the pot on idiot agendas...nice to meet you.
One day Timor Leste may have it's national rugby league team playing in the World Cup so too may the Australian natives have the same right. On a few occasions in my lifetime Aborigines have attempted their nationalist inspirations - their Aboriginal passports were recognised by some of the non-aligned countries. It is not too far-fetched to consider in the future they may have a soccer team accepted by some progressive European, African and Pacific nations.
As I mentioned earlier - do we as a nation want integration or are we trying to split the population?

Talk like this does not help the "healing process" - are we all one or just some of us?
I don't think we have the right to deny Aborigines a national RL team if they desire one, it won't disintegrate our Oz national team just as SSM won't disintegrate our hetero marriage. It would give the Aborigines more pride and something to strive for, just as Farah gets something out of playing for Lebanon. Did you read his story and his father having the guernsey up for 15 years?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:19 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 5:12 pm
kevinmcguiness wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 4:26 pm
Russell wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 11:47 am
How come the Aus Aborigines don't have their team as well?

2. The Aboriginals are covered in the World Cup because they are Australians. This system is working as it

they're not a country, it's a group of people. Just like there isn't an all white team or an all black team or a hispanic team
Well there is an all black team in Rugby Union...
The name originates from the strip they wear
They're the New Zealand All Blacks

jamesharden
Has liked: 5 times

Unread post by jamesharden » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 12:12 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:19 am
WestsBenTigers wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 5:12 pm
kevinmcguiness wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 4:26 pm
Russell wrote:

they're not a country, it's a group of people. Just like there isn't an all white team or an all black team or a hispanic team
Well there is an all black team in Rugby Union...
The name originates from the strip they wear
They're the New Zealand All Blacks
Think he's talking about the maoris?

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm surprised Melbourne aren't playing. It's not like them to let rules stop them!

Russell
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 119 times

Unread post by Russell » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 9:05 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:11 am
Russell wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Munk wrote:

I don't think we have the right to deny Aborigines a national RL team if they desire one, it won't disintegrate our Oz national team just as SSM won't disintegrate our hetero marriage. It would give the Aborigines more pride and something to strive for, just as Farah gets something out of playing for Lebanon. Did you read his story and his father having the guernsey up for 15 years?
You may have started something BBF.

We could have a Maori team, a Native American team, Punjabi Team, Eskimo team etc. etc.

Oh! no that wouldn't work all those groups of people have integrated and are happy to play for their national teams with pride. Why can't it be the same here??

And no, I did not read the Farah story (he is a Souffs player). Lol

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 12:07 pm

Russell wrote:
Wed 18 Oct, 2017 9:05 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:11 am
Russell wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

You may have started something BBF.

We could have a Maori team, a Native American team, Punjabi Team, Eskimo team etc. etc.

Oh! no that wouldn't work all those groups of people have integrated and are happy to play for their national teams with pride. Why can't it be the same here??

And no, I did not read the Farah story (he is a Souffs player). Lol
But the Farah story is all Tigers stuff - when he was a cub and got Lebanon's first try against France in a win 36-6. The coach was Tiger John Elias - his coaching record could be superior to Wayne Pearce's.

I can't remember Choc Mundine being happy to play with his national team with pride but I may be wrong. Or was it vice versa?

Cassius Clay maybe wasn't too proud to be American at times - threw his Olympic gold medal in the river I believe. And what about those naughty Afro-American athletics who gave the Black Power salute at the Olympics and half joined by a ruddy Aussie? Now they are genuflecting for the national anthem instead standing proud with hand on heart. All questions to be answered.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 339 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 5:36 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 18 Oct, 2017 12:07 pm

But the Farah story is all Tigers stuff - when he was a cub and got Lebanon's first try against France in a win 36-6. The coach was Tiger John Elias - his coaching record could be superior to Wayne Pearce's.

I can't remember Choc Mundine being happy to play with his national team with pride but I may be wrong. Or was it vice versa?

Cassius Clay maybe wasn't too proud to be American at times - threw his Olympic gold medal in the river I believe. And what about those naughty Afro-American athletics who gave the Black Power salute at the Olympics and half joined by a ruddy Aussie? Now they are genuflecting for the national anthem instead standing proud with hand on heart. All questions to be answered.
Yeah well lets leave it out of the Rugby League World Cup thread..

World Cup starts next Friday..

All games are supposed to be on 7..Not sure if it's the main Chanel or 7 Mate etc etc
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 6:15 pm

Yes, I was wondering about the TV broadcasts...just says 7 on the official site

http://www.rlwc2017.com/broadcast-information

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 3:38 pm

The list that haunted Elijah Taylor

Fri 20 Oct, 2017, 11:00am
By Corey Rosser‌, New Zealand Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

At the start of every season Elijah Taylor sits down and pens a list of his rugby league goals for the year ahead.

Since 2011, without fail it has included the word 'Kiwis', something intended to serve as a beacon to help him get through the tough times, but which has ended up being one of the 27-year-old's greatest sources of frustration.

After amassing 10 Test caps for New Zealand between 2011 and 2013, Taylor missed selection in 2014, again in 2015 and 2016, and this year was originally told he was unwanted for the World Cup, before a series of eleventh-hour player withdrawals presented a second chance.

"It has been frustrating, I won't lie, the Kiwis goal is always there," Taylor told NRL.com.

"There was a burning desire to put on a black jumper again. The thought of playing for New Zealand is something that motivates me when I can't find any motivation during the NRL season.

"In 2015 and 2016, I felt I played really good football for the Panthers. I captained them a few times, then I missed out on the squad.

"In 2016 I went to the Tigers, I helped turn around a season, we nearly made the top eight, but I still missed out on the Kiwis.

"So I knuckled down for 2017 and I still didn't make the cut, I was so disappointed again, I thought I played my heart out for the Tigers and worked as hard as I could. Thankfully as it has turned out, I got the opportunity again.

"I haven't been in the team over the last couple of years so to be back in this environment is something really special."

Taylor has arguably been the best Kiwi player in the NRL not to earn a single Test cap over the past four years, a period in which he has averaged at least 37 tackles and 47 metres per game without ever making more than eight errors across a season.

While a season-ending ACL tear meant he was always going to miss out on the Kiwis in 2014, the workaholic Wests Tigers star said watching New Zealand beat Australia the following year and missing subsequent tours to the UK in 2015 and 2016 was tough.

"It's not until you are back at home while the boys are away on tour that it hits you, they are playing games and all you want is to be back in that team," Taylor said.

"In my Kiwis debut back in 2011 I kind of thought at the time that it was always going to happen. I look back and I took it for granted, I 100 per cent took it for granted.

"Now I have got that opportunity, I'm not going to waste it."

While Jason Taumalolo's decision to represent Tonga rather than New Zealand at the World Cup removes one of the main obstacles to Taylor earning a spot in coach David Kidwell's 17 for the opening match against Samoa, former Kiwis captain Simon Mannering is likely to beat Taylor in the race for the No.13 jersey.

But Taylor says position doesn't concern him if it means a long-awaited 11th Test appearance becomes a reality.

"I've played different positions my whole career, and on Kiwi tours I am used to being the utility," he said.

"I have played some hooker, some centre, some back-row, wherever they put me I'll be giving my all and I am ready to play wherever I am needed."

http://www.nrl.com/the-list-that-haunte ... fault.aspx
Ivan's Laws

Tiger Watto wrote:
Geo nailed it...

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by formerguest » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for the article Geo.

Yet to hear Elijah make a statement nor see an action that shows him as anything other than a real good bloke. I have always been pleased with his contribution throughout a career amongst giants, but less than eight errors a season, every season, wow, what a stat.

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 10:00 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 20 Oct, 2017 3:38 pm
"Now I have got that opportunity, I'm not going to waste it."
Geo. wrote:
Fri 20 Oct, 2017 3:38 pm
"Wherever they put me I'll be giving my all and I am ready to play wherever I am needed."
Great quotes and such a good story!

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 4:14 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 18 Oct, 2017 6:15 pm
Yes, I was wondering about the TV broadcasts...just says 7 on the official site

http://www.rlwc2017.com/broadcast-information
Bit more for this weekends opening...not all games on the main 7 channel...most games *Live on 7 Mate ...France v Lebanon (replay)

Friday 27 October
Australia v England
Sydney 7.00pm Live on 7mate, 7.30pm Live on Channel 7
Melbourne 7.00pm Live on 7mate, 7.30pm Live on Channel 7
Brisbane 6.00pm Live on 7mate, 6.30pm Live on Channel 7
Adelaide 6.30pm Live on 7mate
Perth 4.00pm Live on 7mate

Saturday 28 October
Papua New Guinea v Wales
Sydney 3.30pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 3.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 2.30pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 3.00pm Live on 7mate
Perth 12.30pm Live on 7mate

New Zealand v Samoa
Sydney 6.00pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 6.00pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 5.00pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 5.30pm Live on 7mate
Perth 3.00pm Live on 7mate

Fiji v USA
Sydney 8.30pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 8.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 7.30pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 8.00pm Live on 7mate
Perth 5.30pm Live on 7mate

Sunday 29 October
Ireland v Italy
Sydney 2.30pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 2.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 1.30pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 2.00pm Live on 7mate
Perth 11.30pm Live on 7mate

Scotland v Tonga
Sydney 5.00pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 5.00pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 4.00pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 4.30pm Live on 7mate
Perth 2.00pm Live on 7mate

France v Lebanon
Sydney 12.00am (Monday) on 7mate
Melbourne 12.00am (Monday) on 7mate
Brisbane 11.00pm on 7mate
Adelaide 11.30pm on 7mate
Perth 11.00pm on 7mate
Ivan's Laws

Tiger Watto wrote:
Geo nailed it...

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 4:15 pm

All times are AEDT:

Friday 27 October
Australia v England
Sydney 7.00pm Live on 7mate, 7.30pm Live on Channel 7
Melbourne 7.00pm Live on 7mate, 7.30pm Live on Channel 7

Saturday 28 October
Papua New Guinea v Wales

New Zealand v Samoa
Sydney 6.00pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 6.00pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 5.00pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 5.30pm Live on 7mate
Perth 3.00pm Live on 7mate

Fiji v USA
Sydney 8.30pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 8.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 7.30pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 8.00pm Live on 7mate
Perth 5.30pm Live on 7mate

Sunday 29 October
Ireland v Italy
Perth 11.30pm Live on 7mate

Scotland v Tonga

France v Lebanon
Sydney 12.00am (Monday) on 7mate
Melbourne 12.00am (Monday) on 7mate
Brisbane 11.00pm on 7mate
Adelaide 11.30pm on 7mate
Perth 11.00pm on 7mate

Friday 3 November
Australia v France
Sydney 7.30pm Live on Channel 7
Melbourne 7.30pm Live on Channel 7
Brisbane 6.30pm Live on Channel 7
Adelaide 7.00pm Live on 7mate
Perth 4.30pm Live on 7mate

Saturday 4 November
New Zealand v Scotland
Melbourne 2.30 pm Live on 7mate
Perth 11.30a m Live on 7mate

Samoa v Tonga
Sydney 5.30pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 5.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 4.30pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 5.00pm Live on 7mate
Perth 2.30pm Live on 7mate

England v Lebanon
Sydney 8.00pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 8.00pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 7.00pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 7.30pm Live on 7mate
Perth 5.00pm Live on 7mate

Sunday 5 November
Papua New Guinea v Ireland
Sydney 4.30pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 4.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 3.30pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 4.00pm Live on 7mate
Perth 1.30pm Live on 7mate

Fiji v Wales
Sydney 7.30pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 7.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 6.30pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 7.00 pm Live on 7mate

Italy v USA
Sydney 12.15am (Monday) on 7mate
Melbourne 12.15am (Monday) on 7mate
Brisbane 11.15pm on 7mate
Adelaide 11.45pm on 7mate
Perth 11.15pm on 7mate

Friday 10 November
Fiji v Italy
Sydney 7.30pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 7.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 6.30pm Live on 7mate

Saturday 11 November
New Zealand v Tonga

Perth 11.30am Live on 7mate

Samoa v Scotland

Australia v Lebanon
Sydney 7.00pm Live on Channel 7
Melbourne 7.00pm Live on 7mate

Sunday 12 November
Papua New Guinea v USA
Sydn ey 3.30pm Live on 7mate

Wales v Ireland
Sydney 6.30pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 6.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 5.30pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 6.00pm Live on 7mate
Perth 3.30pm Live on 7mate

England v France
Sydney 9.00pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 9.00pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 8.00pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 8.30pm Live on 7mate
Perth 6.00pm Live on 7mate

Thursday 16 November
New Zealand v Canada (Women’s)
Sydney 1.30pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 1.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 12.30pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 1.00pm Live on 7mate
Perth 10.30am Live on 7mate

Australia v Cook Islands (Women’s)
Sydney 4.00pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 4.00pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 3.00pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 3.30pm Live on 7mate
Perth 1.00pm Live on 7mate

Friday 17 November
England v Papua New Guinea (Women’s)
Sydney 10.00am on 7mate
Melbourne 10.00am on 7mate
Brisbane 10.30am on 7mate
Adelaide 11.00am on 7mate
Perth 8.30am on 7mate

Quarter Final 1
Brisbane 6.30pm Live on 7mate, 7.00pm Live on Channel 7

Saturday 18 November
Quarter Final 2
Perth 11.30am Live on 7mate

Quarter Final 3

Sunday 19 November
Australia v England (Women’s)

Quarter Final 4

Wednesday 22 November
New Zealand v Cook Islands (Women’s)
Sydney 1 1.30am on 7mate
Melbourne 11.30am on 7mate
Brisbane 10.30am on 7mate
Perth 8.30am on 7mate

England v Cook Islands (Women’s)

Australia v Canada (Women’s)
Sydney 4::000 pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 4::000 pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 3::000 pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 3::330 pm Live on 7mate
Perth 1::000pm Live on 7mate

Thursday 23 November
Papua New Guinea v Canada (Women’s)
Sydney 11.00am on 7mate
Melbourne 1 1.00am on 7mate
Brisbane 11.00am on 7mate
Perth 11.00am on 7mate

New Zealand v Papua New Guinea (Women’s)
Sydney 1.00pm on 7mate
Melbourne 1.00pm on 7mate
Brisbane 1.00pm on 7mate
Adelaide 1.00pm on 7mate
Perth 1.00pm on 7mate

Friday 24 November
Semi Final 1
Brisbane 6.30pm Live on Channel 7

Saturday 25 November
Semi Final 2
Perth 2.30pm Live on 7mate

Sunday 26 November
Semi Final 1 (Women’s)

Semi Final 2 (Women’s)
Sydney 4.00pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 4.00pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 3.00pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 3.30pm Live on 7mate
Perth 1.00pm Live on 7mate

Saturday 2 December
Final (Women’s)
Sydney 4::330pm Live on 7mate
Melbourne 4.30pm Live on 7mate
Brisbane 3.40pm Live on 7mate
Adelaide 4.00pm Live on 7mate
Perth 1.30pm Live on 7mate

Rugby League World Cup Final
Sydney 7.00pm Live on Channel 7
Melbourne 7.00pm Live on Channel 7

Check local guides for changes.

will1999
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by will1999 » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 4:41 pm

who will the commentators be

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 5:11 pm

will1999 wrote:
Mon 23 Oct, 2017 4:41 pm
who will the commentators be
Lucky us....its Lozza
Seven has confirmed its commentary team for the upcoming Rugby League World Cup and the Women’s Rugby League World Cup, beginning in October.

Seven’s coverage will be hosted by Jim Wilson and Laurie Daley, with Renee Gartner and Allana Ferguson.

Commentators for the Rugby League World Cup 2017 are: Mark Braybrook, Andrew Moore and Dan Ginnane. Joining them are: Allanna Ferguson, Gary Belcher, Adrian Morley, Brett Kimmorley, Ryan Girdler, Scott Sattler, Brent Tate and Andrew Ryan. Glen Larmer will be a ball-by-ball caller alongside Daryl Halligan and Monty Betham in New Zealand.

Covering the Women’s Rugby League World Cup are: David Tapp, Drury Forbes, Bill Harrigan, Nathan Cayless, Andrew Ryan and Renee Gartner.

Mel McLaughlin, Michelle Bishop, Josh Massoud, Liam Cox, Shane Webcke, Pat Welsh and Chris Garry also join Seven’s Rugby League World Cup and Women’s Rugby League World Cup team.

Seven’s Head of Sport, Saul Shtein, said: “We’re delighted to be the network of this year’s Rugby League World Cup and the Women’s Rugby League World Cup. We are also delighted to have secured such an outstanding group of people who will bring both Cups to millions not only here in Australia but around the world. We are looking forward to being a partner with the Rugby League World Cup and the Women’s Rugby League World Cup. Both will be a remarkable. And broadcast live in our primetime.”

Kurt Burnette, Seven’s Chief Revenue Officer and Event Director, Rugby League World Cup 2017, Olympic Games and Commonwealth Games, said: “The Rugby League World Cup, live in primetime on Seven, underlines the power of television in delivering big audiences and powering the conversation and audience across all screens through video.”
http://tvtonight.com.au/2017/07/seven-a ... ators.html

Tiger_Pete
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Tiger_Pete » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 5:22 pm

If anyone's interested in watching Tui or Mahe, you can see the Tonga v Italy trial match here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUwoWKvvy1g

Camerawork isn't great but Mahe bags a try around the 40 minute mark.
Last edited by Tiger_Pete on Mon 23 Oct, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 6:38 pm

They are saying 12 am, is that midnight or midday?

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”