Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:38 pm
Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:23 pm
Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:50 pm
Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:00 pm
Well comparing the teams who played 35-40 years ago with the team last night and then complaining about only just winning the WC final is idiotic.
Btw theres no chance this squad pales in comparison. It would be extremely competitive.
<Lets get this straight Munk - I am not complaining about just winning the RLWC.

I am suggesting that the previous teams I mentioned were much better teams and would have had last nights team for breakfast.

idiotic is not a word I embrace or use to describe someone who has a different view to mine. This is a Forum - Forums embrace differing opinions - obviously you don't. You have expressed your opinion. You do not have to call me idiotic because I do not agree with you on any of your original points.
I didnt state you were, i dont know you.
I have seen you rant about this Aussie side before though and so replied.
Comparing eras is hard but for truth, the modern footballer would demolish players from the 80's. The invincibles would be outplayed and soundly beaten.

1 Greg Brentnall
2 Eric Grothe
3 Mal Meninga
4 Steve Rogers
5 Kerry Boustead
6 Brett Kenny
7 Peter Sterling
8 Craig Young
9 Max Krilich (c)
10 Les Boyd
11 Wayne Pearce
12 Rod Reddy
13 Ray Price
Substitutions:
14 Wally Lewis
15 Ray Brown

Yeah, I can see how you can say these guys would have been demolished - in your dreams.

But...Whatever you say Chief - you must be right - I bow to your great knowledge. Lol
they would not rate against our WT team of past few years ago.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Munk
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 8:38 pm

Half those blokes were overweight and the rest smoked.
They wouldnt keep up with the pace of today's game nor the athleticism.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 8:42 pm

Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 8:38 pm
As only a casual follower I can't recall any of those blokes being overweight. What about Kasiano and Fafita about the lardist guys I have ever seen playing footie.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Munk

Unread post by Munk » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 8:53 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 8:42 pm
Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 8:38 pm
As only a casual follower I can't recall any of those blokes being overweight. What about Kasiano aqnd Fafita about the lardist guys I have ever seen playing footie.
That side of Russels was full of man boobs.
Seriously though, man for man just about, that side loses to a current team.
Today's footballer is bigger, stronger, smarter, more well rounded, better trained, more athletic and more knowledgeable.
They would have only won a fight but thats not football.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 9:53 pm

Earl wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:00 am
Munk wrote:
Sat 02 Dec, 2017 10:21 pm
Woods got booed by his home crowd.
He isn't a well liked player.
Seemed popular with the crowd Round where we were .
He got plenty of cheers, they mostly called him Sharon, but seemed happy with his game,
The one who got almost all the Boos around us was Bennett. I was surprised how the Brisbane fans are against him.
After talking to some of the ones close by, they are completely over him, there’s wasn’t anything good said about him by anyone.

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 11:20 pm

Telltails wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 12:25 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:34 am
Earl wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:00 am
Munk wrote:
Sat 02 Dec, 2017 10:21 pm
Woods got booed by his home crowd.
He isn't a well liked player.
Got me beat why Mal picks him..
And made him captain in Smiths absence during the finals series.

What would Mal know? The WT forum members know better than him, it's not like he's been there and done that or anything.....oh wait...

Munk

Unread post by Munk » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:03 am

He was the only player booed when called up on stage. Quite loudly as well. People are sick of him.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 1:29 am

Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:03 am
He was the only player booed when called up on stage. Quite loudly as well. People are sick of him.
For what reason? Because I don't watch any interviews maybe I don't understand.

happy tiger
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 1:53 am

Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:38 pm
Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:23 pm
Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:50 pm
Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:00 pm
Well comparing the teams who played 35-40 years ago with the team last night and then complaining about only just winning the WC final is idiotic.
Btw theres no chance this squad pales in comparison. It would be extremely competitive.
<Lets get this straight Munk - I am not complaining about just winning the RLWC.

I am suggesting that the previous teams I mentioned were much better teams and would have had last nights team for breakfast.

idiotic is not a word I embrace or use to describe someone who has a different view to mine. This is a Forum - Forums embrace differing opinions - obviously you don't. You have expressed your opinion. You do not have to call me idiotic because I do not agree with you on any of your original points.
I didnt state you were, i dont know you.
I have seen you rant about this Aussie side before though and so replied.
Comparing eras is hard but for truth, the modern footballer would demolish players from the 80's. The invincibles would be outplayed and soundly beaten.

1 Greg Brentnall
2 Eric Grothe
3 Mal Meninga
4 Steve Rogers
5 Kerry Boustead
6 Brett Kenny
7 Peter Sterling
8 Craig Young
9 Max Krilich (c)
10 Les Boyd
11 Wayne Pearce
12 Rod Reddy
13 Ray Price
Substitutions:
14 Wally Lewis
15 Ray Brown

Yeah, I can see how you can say these guys would have been demolished - in your dreams.

But...Whatever you say Chief - you must be right - I bow to your great knowledge. Lol
I disagree , if the game was played under early to mid 1980's rule many current players would struggle

Scrummaging becomes a factor , playing at the ball in the play the ball , being able to wear a shot , limited interchange all would play into the invincibles favour

Get a current ref and Boyd ,Young and Roach wouldn't get sent , they'd just be on report :lol:

Think it would be far closer than many believe

Munk

Unread post by Munk » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:35 am

Why would it be played under mid 80's rule and conditions?
Russell made the claim that the old blokes would have easily beaten the current side the way they played on Saturday. To prove this they would have to play under current conditions.
The invincibles forward pack would not handle the speed. Smith would turn them inside out.
Easy win.

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:39 am

You are not serious are you Munk? Can you imaging Woods and Klemmer against Boyd? Boyd would have them both as an entree :D Sterling and Kenny in a league of their own compared to Cronk and co

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:40 am

Great Win by the Kangaroos... One of the tougest games I have seen for many many years.

Our Backrow was awesome in returning serve to the Poms deliberate grubby tactics.

Everyone Rise'd and showd the Pride in the Kangaroos Jumper!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Munk

Unread post by Munk » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:29 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:39 am
You are not serious are you Munk? Can you imaging Woods and Klemmer against Boyd? Boyd would have them both as an entree :D Sterling and Kenny in a league of their own compared to Cronk and co
Theyd both run over the top of him in attack and knock the double chin off him in defence.
Hed get upset and throw a punch and get sent off. Sterling and Kenny were both too weak in defence to handle the running game of Cronk and Morgan. Morgs in particular would just stroll through them.

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:32 am

Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:35 am
Why would it be played under mid 80's rule and conditions?
Russell made the claim that the old blokes would have easily beaten the current side the way they played on Saturday. To prove this they would have to play under current conditions.
The invincibles forward pack would not handle the speed. Smith would turn them inside out.
Easy win.
Stand by what I said - I am talking talent. We will never know but you have to play on common ground.
The invincibles backline would run beserk.

Either the other nights mob need to learn to play with scrums and a bit of biff with limited interchange.
or
The invincibles need to play a faster and more athletic game.

Somewhere in the middle would see your mob thrashed - how is that for an Idiotic statement.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 391 times

Unread post by Geo. » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:37 am

Ah the Bradman argument..

Well done Roos ..tough game of footy..Poms were't push overs many thought they would be..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:03 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:37 am
Ah the Bradman argument..

Well done Roos ..tough game of footy..Poms were't push overs many thought they would be..
Haha yeh 40+ point flogging indeed

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:52 am

Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:29 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Theyd both run over the top of him in attack and knock the double chin off him in defence.
Hed get upset and throw a punch and get sent off. Sterling and Kenny were both too weak in defence to handle the running game of Cronk and Morgan. Morgs in particular would just stroll through them.
As I stated earlier, Boyd would have them cleaned up and hauled into line quickly. Kenny was faster than both Morgan and Cronk while Sterling was faster than all of them between the ears.

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 10:24 am

Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:29 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Well, that part has to be the highlight :lol:
Suggest you ask Wally Lewis about that (who I'm pretty sure said Kenny was the best player he played against)... unless you're saying Morgan is a lot better player than Wally?

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”