RL World Cup 2017 Thread...* SPOILERS

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: RL World Cup 2017 Thread...

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 9:00 am

thanks, many mistakes but was funny watching Farah playing half back and not getting the ball from no. 9 - for first part of game at least. Niue island only the size of a postage stamp had a decent team considering.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 265 times
Been liked: 69 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 9:23 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 15 Oct, 2017 9:00 am
thanks, many mistakes but was funny watching Farah playing half back and not getting the ball from no. 9 - for first part of game at least. Niue island only the size of a postage stamp had a decent team considering.
Was Twal playing?

charlii72
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by charlii72 » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 9:46 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Sun 15 Oct, 2017 9:23 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 15 Oct, 2017 9:00 am
Was Twal playing?
Don't believe so. Moses not there either. Maybe more of a test/practice for the coarch to see the others (there were 3 different players who were kicking goals). The only NRL players that I recognised for Lebanon were Farah and Lichaa, and Wes Lolo (Tigers) was playing for Niue.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:51 am

http://www.nrl.com/i-want-to-give-back- ... fault.aspx

Great moments are born from great opportunity.

Those are the immortal words of coach Herb Brooks (portrayed by Kurt Russell in the film Miracle) ahead of the USA's shock win over the USSR in the 1980 Winter Olympics ice hockey gold medal match.

Robbie Farah has had some great moments throughout his lengthy career at both club and representative level, but arguably his most cherished came 15 years ago when he was given an unlikely opportunity to represent Lebanon in a game against France.

"The game was in November, and a couple of months before they had tryouts – I think it was at Leichhardt - but I was on tour with the Wests Tigers Cubs, which was like an under-18s team put together," he recalled.

"We were in New Zealand so I couldn't make the tryouts, but I really wanted to make the Lebanese side so I sent John Elias – he was the coach at the time – a highlights tape of me.

"He saw something in me from a highlights tape, and from all reports everyone was talking him out of picking me, but he wanted me in the side. He took me over pretty much unseen - the only time he'd ever seen me was from a highlights tape - and I got picked as the starting halfback.

"Hazem (El Masri) was our captain and I was in awe of the players around me. I was just a young kid, we went to Lebanon and we won 36-6. I started at halfback and scored the first try of the game and then there was a complete blackout as we were walking back to halfway after my try.

"We were all pretty worried because we didn't know what was going on and whether the game would continue or not. About 10 minutes later the generators kicked in and the lights came back on.

"It was a big win, 36-6, because France were ranked fourth in the world at the time so it was a massive win for us. It was one of the best tours of my life and some of my best friends to this day are guys I met on that tour from that team."

Farah has since won a premiership with the Wests Tigers and helped the NSW Blues orchestrate a stunning drought-breaking series win over Queensland in 2014, but it was his maiden Test cap as a teenager that stands above the rest.

With relatives in the stands, a cousin on the bench and family watching back in Sydney, it's a memory that will stay with Farah forever.

"Back home I know the family were watching it on TV with the uncles and the cousins. From all reports they were all in tears because it means a hell of a lot to them," he explained.

"When you think of my parents and my cousins' parents, they left their home town 40 or 50 years ago to come here to give their children a better life, but they've still got an emotional attachment to their motherland, so to see one of their kids pull on the colours of Lebanon, you can imagine how much it means to our parents.

"I was at my dad's house yesterday (Wednesday), actually, walking up his stairwell, and he's still got my framed Lebanon jersey from the one Test match I played up on the wall. It's been there for 15 years and I don't think it'll ever move."

Unable to remember much from his first trip to Lebanon with his mother and sister as a four-year-old, Farah has been back twice in the past few years.

The most recent trip saw the 33-year-old play tour guide to his brother, but it was his 2013 visit after the Rugby League World Cup that hits home the hardest for Farah who had lost his mother to cancer the previous year.

"I went back after the World Cup in 2013. I went straight to Lebanon for a week or so on my own," he recalled.

"Mum was one of 11 kids – my grandmother's still alive – and the majority of them are still in Lebanon. Since my mum passed away in 2012, I wanted to go over and see my mother's family and pay my respects and see them. That was a pretty emotional week for me. It was pretty tough going back there without mum because it brought back a lot of memories, which was tough."

Fifteen years after he was given a chance as an untested halfback, the creative No.9 now wants to give back to the Cedars on the game's biggest stage.

"I made the commitment to Lebanon last year. I had my time playing for Australia, and while I don't think I was ever a chance to get picked, my time was done and there's someone else in there now," he said.

"Even if it did get to a point where, say Cam (Kangaroos hooker, Cameron Smith) got injured or six other hookers – I don't know how many would be in front of me – got injured and I did get the call to play for Australia, I would have probably knocked that back because I'm really looking forward to giving back to Lebanon.

"That opportunity when I was an 18-year-old, I can't speak highly enough of how much that did for me and how much that improved me as a player. I'll never forget now at my age and the point I'm at in my career, I'm really looking forward to giving back to Lebanon."
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 9:25 am

This will be great for Alex Twal to get exposure playing against Australia & England.

Good Luck Kid!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:11 am

Farah's article gives an insight into why some players want to represent the country of their heritage. So we should understand Fafita etc. who have changed jumpers.

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 11:02 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:11 am
Farah's article gives an insight into why some players want to represent the country of their heritage. So we should understand Fafita etc. who have changed jumpers.
Both Fifita & Tomo are piss-poor decisions.

If they put there hand up at the start of the year and openly stated their intentions, I would accept and support such actions as I am all for seeing the growth of RL. But both these choices are more about personal grips and have little to nothing in relation to Farahs choice to represent Lebanon.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 11:46 am

Was a pretty good effort by Farah only 18 years old at halfback scoring Lebanon's first try against their ex-colonist master France and a tidy score of 36-6. I think also they may have also defeated NSW Country as well.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 11:47 am

How come the Aus Aborigines don't have their team as well?

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 11:49 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 11:47 am
I don't see why the Aboriginal All Stars also cannot compete in this World Cup - make it more interesting and relevant.

Russell
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 3:22 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Two very good reasons come to mind.

1. The World Cup is for teams from Countries not for people within a country.

2. The Aboriginals are covered in the World Cup because they are Australians. This system is working as it
is promoting unity and not segregation.

That's why they don't have a team in the World Cup BBF.

kevinmcguiness
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by kevinmcguiness » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 4:26 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 3:22 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

2. The Aboriginals are covered in the World Cup because they are Australians. This system is working as it

they're not a country, it's a group of people. Just like there isn't an all white team or an all black team or a hispanic team

kevinmcguiness

Unread post by kevinmcguiness » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 4:30 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 11:02 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:11 am
Both Fifita & Tomo are piss-poor decisions.

If they put there hand up at the start of the year and openly stated their intentions, I would accept and support such actions as I am all for seeing the growth of RL. But both these choices are more about personal grips and have little to nothing in relation to Farahs choice to represent Lebanon.
what were their reasons? I think it's ok if they want to play for their other country.

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 265 times
Been liked: 69 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 5:12 pm

kevinmcguiness wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 4:26 pm
Russell wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

they're not a country, it's a group of people. Just like there isn't an all white team or an all black team or a hispanic team
Well there is an all black team in Rugby Union...

kevinmcguiness

Unread post by kevinmcguiness » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 5:15 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 5:12 pm
kevinmcguiness wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 4:26 pm
Russell wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

Well there is an all black team in Rugby Union...
what are they called? Or are they the Maori team?

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 6:43 pm

Russell wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

Strictly speaking, due to their being no treaty with the Aborigines the Aborigines have the legal right to declare an independent country. A precedent under different conditions was the broad acceptance of Kosovo, done without the agreement of majority ruling Serbia refer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... _of_Kosovo

Munk
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Munk » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:40 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 6:43 pm
Russell wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

Strictly speaking, due to their being no treaty with the Aborigines the Aborigines have the legal right to declare an independent country. A precedent under different conditions was the broad acceptance of Kosovo, done without the agreement of majority ruling Serbia refer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... _of_Kosovo
Every forum has its resident kook who thinks they are funny stiring the pot on idiot agendas...nice to meet you.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 6:22 am

Munk wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:40 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 6:43 pm
Russell wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

Every forum has its resident kook who thinks they are funny stiring the pot on idiot agendas...nice to meet you.
One day Timor Leste may have it's national rugby league team playing in the World Cup so too may the Australian natives have the same right. On a few occasions in my lifetime Aborigines have attempted their nationalist inspirations - their Aboriginal passports were recognised by some of the non-aligned countries. It is not too far-fetched to consider in the future they may have a soccer team accepted by some progressive European, African and Pacific nations.

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”