Johnathan Thurston

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
happy tiger

Johnathan Thurston

Post by happy tiger » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 11:15 am

I know there will be a few if's in this , but when I was checking how old he actually was I noticed that his grandmother was Tongan and he was approached to play for NZ (DOB is actually ANZAC Day)

Just wondering if he had chosen to play for NZ /Tonga how much difference this would have made to SOO football and especially seeing the Tongans got pretty close to a WC Final , how they would gone if he had played for Tonga last year (fully fit of course )??

Thoughts anyone ??

Munk

Post by Munk » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 12:20 pm

If through sliding doors, he never played origin and only test football for Tonga, Id suggest his career would already be over as the finishing touches that make a player great are learned only through Origin and high exposure to tier 1 football.
He would be considered a hardworking yet limited, above average half instead of future immortal.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 5:50 pm

Didn’t realise it was Tongan, always read half NZ half Indigenous Australian.
Certainly doesn’t have a Tongan frame so would never had picked it.
My feeling with around that time was, those that had the choice, if they we good enough they played SOO and therefore Australia and then those that had the choice but weren’t, they’d declare for NZ, not sure if Benji had the choice, but the attitude in regards to Representing NZ changed when K Hunt defected and F Prichard stuck solid, if anyone remembers that time / exchanges that took place.