Tim 'Billy Slater' Moltzen.............

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30 PM, Friday 9 September
Venue: ANZ Stadium
Telecast: Ch 9 LIVE
NEDKELLY

Re: Tim 'Billy Slater' Moltzen.............

Post by NEDKELLY » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 12:40 pm

by cnx_tigers » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 9:44 pm

king sirro wrote:
Besides his brain explosion when he grubbered from dummy half, he was great. All of a sudden he decides to run hard??????? Oh well, if we go on to win the comp with him firing ill be happy.

He was coming off a knee reconstruction and a year out though. 99% of players don't run hard for months after that operation.
CNX you are on the money! Players after undergoing a reconstruction (particularly if they are a back) seemingly take a minimum of 1/2 a season to recapture their best so it was always going to be a test of patience from the coaching staff, team mates and fans.

I think it was a premature decision to let him go even if it was based on salary cap pressure and even worse if it was based on his form on the field at the time.

If you have talent it doesn't just disappear overnight and in the case of footballers it will always depend on a healthy body.

Goose

Post by Goose » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 12:57 pm

great to see his biggest critics giving credit where credit is due.

I think it should also be noted that Moltzen was getting moved to a different position every week for most of the season, since he was given a permanent role he has got better and better each week.

I was in a Saints box last night, and they reckon they are better off with Moltz than Boyd, I think that view is skewed by a witnessing him at his best and a bit of optimism, but worth noting

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 2:08 pm

He showed how he is no longer a halfback in any stretch. Identical play situations by he and Lui. Lui holds and perfectly holds the pass for Heighno, Moltzen runs himself and his centres out of space and gets tackled. Lui also put him through the hole with a perfectly timed delayed pass.

He had his best game at the back last night. Still not overly concerned he is going though. Whoever comes in be it Grant, Reddy, Humble or someone else they have Marshall, Lui, Farah & Heighno to run off.

Hope he keeps improving all year though

drummertim

Post by drummertim » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 2:28 pm

i also don't want to say i told you so but i did say he would come good, when he's origin fullback in afew years we will be sorry we let him go

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 2:29 pm

drummertim wrote:i also don't want to say i told you so but i did say he would come good, when he's origin fullback in afew years we will be sorry we let him go
Haha... really? You are serious with this comment?
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 2:34 pm

Balmain Tiger wrote:
Aladinsane wrote:
Aladinsane wrote:
MacDougall wrote:I'd really like to turn Blair around and send him back to Victoria so we can keep Moltzen and Gibbs tbh.
Mac , the post of the year , short & perfectly said
x2

So you blokes don't want a proven international and premiership forward in your side. Good one.

I'm guessing that you were not that thrilled when Ellis was signed a couple of years ago. Give yourselves an uppercut.

smoking gun

Post by smoking gun » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 3:14 pm

I've said all along it was a terrible decision and now we are seeing why. As for molts being on 220k ne was on no where near that amount

LethalGurlie

Post by LethalGurlie » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 3:17 pm

Regardless, the decision has been made...contracts have been signed...i'm sure st george are just chopping at the bit to get him next season...

Goose

Post by Goose » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 6:25 pm

Kaiser wrote:
drummertim wrote:i also don't want to say i told you so but i did say he would come good, when he's origin fullback in afew years we will be sorry we let him go
I heard some very good judges say exactly this last night (one of which has played origin himself).

Im not saying he will, but it is certainly not laughable

Centaur

Post by Centaur » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 6:38 pm

Great game last night.

Unfortunately it is the first time EVER that he has played a compelte fullbacks game. I can only assume Sheens said something to him about his kick returns...

You know what, maybe half way through next year he will be carving up at fullback for the Dragons. But when the call needed to be made by the Tigers, we would have been crazy to pay overs to keep a player who hadn't been living up to his hype.

I hope he continues playing well this year, because he is definitely proving to be a key part of our attack.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 6:46 pm

biggest tigers fan wrote:If he continues this way we can all forget his crap start at fb.Iwish he was going to be at fb for us next year.

By the way big damo hasnt been on here for 9 weeks lol
Actually our friend, big damo, made a brief appearance in the live game thread last night when WT were (you guessed it) down 12-6 :lol:
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Goose

Post by Goose » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 7:02 pm

Flippedy wrote:
biggest tigers fan wrote:If he continues this way we can all forget his crap start at fb.Iwish he was going to be at fb for us next year.

By the way big damo hasnt been on here for 9 weeks lol
Actually our friend, big damo, made a brief appearance in the live game thread last night when WT were (you guessed it) down 12-6 :lol:
I wonder if he is just geeing up

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 3:06 am

The bloke is a moron troll who is NO wests tigers fan.

Most of the time he is too illiterate to form a sentence.

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 8:56 am

Goose wrote:
Kaiser wrote:
I heard some very good judges say exactly this last night (one of which has played origin himself).

Im not saying he will, but it is certainly not laughable
He plays his first ever strong game as fullback and all of a sudden he's Origin material? No wonder the Blues have lost so many series in a row...

Who were the judges? I still think it's laughable...
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

Post by 2041 » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 9:03 am

cnx_tigers wrote:
MacDougall wrote:Yeah but I want Gibbs to stay too.
Yeah, painful stuff.

And Fulton WOULD be gone if someone else took him also. Seems strange now as they are the soul of the joint.
If Fulton had gone Moltzen would still be there. Just because a number of players were offered up doesn't mean they were all going to go.

Post by 2041 » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 9:07 am

cnx_tigers wrote:
Flippedy wrote:Yes, real bittersweet isn't it?
Absolutely. Especially going to Saints. If he was off to the Warriors it would be way less painful.
Interesting team to pick. If we could have given the Warriors Moltzen and taken Slaimankhel in return it would have been the deal of the century. And Moltzen would still only get a game for the Vulcans because there's no way he's getting picked ahead of Locke.

I like Moltzen a lot, and his form is clearly way up - but you only have to look at the Warriors to get a more realistic picture of where he is in the fullback rankings...

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:22 pm

Losing Moltzen sucks for sure. His playing awesome. Hopefully we can find someone who will do just as good a job, if not better.

alien

Post by alien » Mon 12 Sep, 2011 9:28 pm

He is running harder on kick returns but he does slow down just before he gets to the defense line. Maybe that's a good thing because he isn't all that big, and he doesn't want to get injured again. Atleast he is making meters before he slows down though. He used to hardly make any meters on kick returns and it started our set of 6 very badly.