Tigers heartbreak

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30PM Friday 16 September
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch 9 LIVE
FootyJimmy

Tigers heartbreak

Post by FootyJimmy » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:00 am

I was in the stands with my 8 year old today, I saw his lip start to shake when the Video Ref's decision was pending. It looked ominous. When "Try" went up he couldn't hold back and the tears rolled out. Warriors fans jeering us. There chants ringing in our ears on the way out.

Remined me of my own childhood. The first few heartbreakers are oh so tough.

Chin up Kid! There'll be plenty more nights like these but we'll win it one day and you'll remember it forever,

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:04 am

I still remember seriously not being able to speak after the 89 GF. I was just unbelievably shattered.

The thing about being a Tigers fan is that there's a hell of a lot more pain than pleasure.

This is the way it is though and I wouldn't change a thing. Being a Tiger and having mates who bleed black and gold is one of the greatest things in my life. My wife never used to watch footy...she wasn't even born in Aus...but she's now a Tiger tragic and was fighting back tears after the game tonight. It's a painful thing at times!!! :)

Having said all that, I have an 18 month old son..............not sure I want to put him through it all one day! LOL :)

derailed

Post by derailed » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:05 am

The kid next too me was going off as well. First time in the whole game he got fired up. You could hear the disappointment in his voice. Almost felt sorry for him knowing he had years of this to come.

steven_tiger

Post by steven_tiger » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:05 am

Mate... I felt the same way.

Probably said the "F" word a few more times though!

Balmainboydug

Post by Balmainboydug » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 1:13 am

Wow so sorry guys am a bit dismayed but guess what we were there aye and we played hard but there is no point dissecting it like Timmy just said we gotta move on and look forward to next year. I am heartbroken and have that 89 feeling but am more disappointed for Bryce and hope he can recover for the start of next year for Cronulla. To Bryce I say well played kid you won a Gf ring with us and I will miss you son I really will , to Flanno thanks mate the Nrl is tough but you gave it a real good go.Moltz all the best buddy you are a diamond we let go and I know you will make us rue that one day next year. To the kids who have that empty feeling it's part of being a tiger fan and things will get better just wait and see. Gawd go the TIGES to win it in 2012 the year of prophecies and gloom. Damn.

jais tigez

Post by jais tigez » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 6:04 am

It will make it all the more sweeter when we win next year. I had to explain to my 4 year old that the tigers aren't playing footy any more this year and he cried. Heartbreaking.

Posted using RoarFEED
Manly Sea Eagles- crying and gang bashing their way to premiership glory.

alien

Post by alien » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 6:12 am

its a rollercoaster. it was a steep fall after last week's victory. thats life

mattforde

Post by mattforde » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 6:58 am

The memory's of last years dragons game came flooding back last nite.. so close but yet so far... 2 years in the semis I hope will put us in a better position next season... My two girls were as shattered as I was... Can only hope they don't have to wait 30 years to win another GF.. Chin up lads it all starts again in a few months..

Posted using RoarFEED

Swannie47

Post by Swannie47 » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 9:02 am

Shattered but that's football. Here's something for everyone to ponder to make us all feel better:

-We have a gun in Blair coming to the club.
- We'll have the best halves pairing in the comp next year.
- We'll have the best centre pairing in the comp next year.
- Our young gun forwards (woods,Groat,BMM) will have another preseason under their belts and will get better.

The upshot is that we'll have size and experience next year coupled with the best back line in the comp. The pain of last night will be but a distant memory next year when Robbie holds the trophy above his head in celebration.

BRING ON 2012

Posted using RoarFEED
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 10:25 am

looks like the SFS round finals time is not a friendly playing ground for us, think we're jinxed at that place.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 11:27 am

I'm mostly disappointed because I have to now watch teams I dislike run around for another two weeks, then wait 6 months for this tremendous rollercoaster to start again.

pacey

Post by pacey » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:08 pm

Not as sad as versing Dragons last year, when Keefy made the break on fulltime ,

TigersFan4Life

Post by TigersFan4Life » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 3:04 pm

That Friday night game against the Knights at the end of the '07 or '08 season had me walking around like I was in a coma for the entire weekend.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 3:49 pm

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... 1ket5.html

Forlorn Tigers reliving '89 after NRL exit
David Beniuk
September 17, 2011 - 3:39PM

AAP

It was meant to be their year, but it ended with the forlorn figures of Wests Tigers stars slumped to the Sydney Football Stadium turf in scenes reminiscent of 1989.

The sight of Wayne Pearce on his haunches that year after a second straight grand final loss, cruelly in extra time against Canberra, is one of the defining images in Tigers' history.

Current captain Robbie Farah's despair at fulltime, after his side's nine-game winning streak was ended 22-20 by rank underdogs the Warriors, might become another.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"It felt that way," Balmain's hooker from `89 Benny Elias told AAP.

"We were always going to win that one and I think in `89 we were always going to win.

"Even at halftime we were thinking about victory and I think the same happened yesterday.

"Unfortunately like a thief in the night it just crashed in the 12th hour. It just got us - boom."

Elias was referring to the bizarre 78th minute try from Warriors centre Krisnan Inu that put one of the NRL's best rosters out of business with two weeks to go in the competition.

Farah and coach Tim Sheens refused to dissect the decision after Friday night's devastating loss but Tigers boss Stephen Humphreys said the strange nature of the try had only made it harder.

"For it to happen so late in the game and in such unusual circumstances, I think that does kind of add something to it but at the end of the day it is what it is," Humphreys said.

"The fact that we did feel in control of that game and then for it to be taken at the last minute, and it quickly sunk in that that was the last time that group would be playing together, so (those two things) added something to it."

Farah was still feeling the pain on Saturday, using Twitter to express his feelings.

"Absolutely gutted but proud of (the) boys and the effort we put in all year," he wrote.

"Losing some of my brothers who it's been a joy to play with and will be friends for life."

They include fullback Tim Moltzen (St George Illawarra), forwards Bryce Gibbs and Andrew Fifita (both Cronulla) and assistant coach Peter Gentle (Hull).

Melbourne's Adam Blair, Parramatta's Joel Reddy and Penrith's Matt Bell are their major signings, but Humphreys said the club needed to come to terms with what had just happened before drawing up plans for 2012.

"We'll let that happen naturally and we'll regroup and refocus and recommit to next year," he said.

"I'm confident that the ultimate prize of a premiership, which is highly sought after and very difficult to get, is achievable for this group over the next few years."

Internet fan forums were flooded with comments on Saturday with one supporter, known online as FootyJimmy, posting his devastation on website weststigersforum.com.

"I was in the stands with my 8 year old today, I saw his lip start to shake when the Video Ref's decision was pending," he wrote.

"It looked ominous. When "Try" went up he couldn't hold back and the tears rolled out.

"Warriors fans jeering us. Their chants ringing in our ears on the way out.

"Reminded me of my own childhood. The first few heartbreakers are oh so tough."

kill'em'all tigers

Post by kill'em'all tigers » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 4:47 pm

footyjimmy! 13 posts and you're making the papers. well done.

shiretiger

Post by shiretiger » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 5:14 pm

It is beyond my comprehension people saying the Warriors were hard done by.

I have just sat down and watched the replay on Fox and I honestly believe that they have only one ground for complaint: that being when they got penalised for the play the ball infringement when Farah dropped it in the first half. The same thing happened to them in the second and we dont get penalised. No consistancy by the refs.

The Meteo try had two forward passes in the lead up, along with a questionable strip penalty that went their way.

The Hohia try, well I am still scratching my head as too why Farah was penalised to allow them to get where they did to score.

And the "try" of the 77th minute. Well, I'll just agree with the Warren Smith and Greg Alexander who were commentating on Fox, who were gobsmacked at the decision to award the try.

For me, that's three from three, that have a huge pong about them.

Anyways, it is all moot now. Cricket season offically started sometime around 9.30pm last night. I think there is something called the RWC on too.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 5:55 pm

Both teams were hard done by I think at least 6 penalties given 4 to us 2 to the Warriors shouldn't of been given Hayne and Maxwell shouldn't even be be handling NSW cup games next weekend
And this is the scary point they are rated in the top 4 referees :bash

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 7:44 pm

I just knew it was gonna be a bad night when I got to the ground and found my seat covered in beer! :lol:
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen