Official nrl chokers

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30PM Friday 16 September
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch 9 LIVE

Are the Tigers now the official NRL chokers ?

Yes
24%
no
76%

Total votes: 54

westTAHger

Re: Official nrl chokers

Post by westTAHger » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 6:07 pm

as there are 16 teams in the comp, wouldn't you have to label 8 teams chokers as they did not qualify for the finals.

IMO the circumstances as being labelled a choker would be:

having scored at try which has you one point behind the opponnent.
you are having the conversion to win the comp from straight in front and you miss the goal.
this would be choking.

so what you are saying, is that each team that makes the finals and do not win the comp are chokers?
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Wagga Tiger

Post by Wagga Tiger » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 6:33 pm

What a terrible thread, we lost one of our best defenders early in the game and the Warriors didn't give up, some dodgy penalties went against us leading to tries but we didn't choke.We didn't choke last year either we fought tooth and nail to beat Saints and just fell short.I for one am proud of my team and i can't wait for next year.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 6:35 pm

Parramatta and Cronulla still have the title as far as I am concerned
Cronulla still haven't won a title yet

armchair expert

Post by armchair expert » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 7:33 pm

westTAHger wrote: IMO the circumstances as being labelled a choker would be:

you are having the conversion to win the comp from straight in front and you miss the goal.
this would be choking.
This, or going through a season undefeated or close to it and going out the finals in straight sets.

The word choke gets used wrongly way to often, including in this thread. losing is not choking! choking is not being able to handle a pressure situation against an inferior opponent! :bash :bash :bash

alien

Post by alien » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 9:02 pm

we have only made the finals 3 times and 1 of those times we have won the comp - that's not the nrl's biggest chokers. speaking of chokers, dragons lost tonight :)

mikey

Post by mikey » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 9:12 pm

Mistadobalina wrote:If it's any consolation we would never have beaten Melbourne anyway.

I don't believe that for a second.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 9:15 pm

westTAHger wrote:as there are 16 teams in the comp, wouldn't you have to label 8 teams chokers as they did not qualify for the finals.

IMO the circumstances as being labelled a choker would be:

this would be choking.

so what you are saying, is that each team that makes the finals and do not win the comp are chokers?
choking is pretty much losing when your expected to win. I'm sure you would agree there are alot of sides each yr who miss the finals who you expected to. If there is no expectation to win, how is it a choke?

RatedRKO

Post by RatedRKO » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 10:06 pm

Nah, obviously I'm biased but we had won 9 in a row. We lost 1 from 10, which considering our injuries is pretty amazing.

I'm going to keep the label on the Dragons for now :)

alien

Post by alien » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 3:37 am

yep dragons are still the chokers. last year was just a fluke hehehe

paulgeorge

Post by paulgeorge » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 6:36 am

In reality I think there is two vital things that need to be addressed by our coaching staff. Be first to dive on a loose ball, and always dive on a man who has the ball on the ground. What was Moltzen thinking, all he had to was put his little pinky on Inu and it would constitute a tackle. Hence penalty double movement, we win the game.

rossop

Post by rossop » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 7:02 am

:dead
Last edited by rossop on Sun 18 Sep, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juro

Post by Juro » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 1:42 pm

I guess you could say we choked on the weekend, having gone in as red hot favourites, then having a comfortable halftime lead... and then losing...

But that doesn't give credit to the Warriors.

The thing I love about sport is the unpredictability of it. For every game, there is a winner and a loser, and the result won't be known until the end of the game. The underdog can get up, and often does. It doesn't mean the favourite choked. It is just the way the game unfolded. That is beautiful... except when your team is the favourite and comes up empty handed...

Or maybe I am just in denial that we choked...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 2:28 pm

Ran from teetering on the edge of the top 8 to win 8 straight and finish the season in fourth spot, beating some very teams and a couple bogey teams along the way.

I'd have thought finishing outside the 8 after retaining the same squad as 2010 would have been considered a "choke."

What a stupid thread.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 2:40 pm

alien wrote:yep dragons are still the chokers. last year was just a fluke hehehe
I am glad we did not win last year. Dragons may have won, but 2010 will always have an asterisks beside it with the Storm disqualification.