Marshall clutch play problems

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30PM Friday 16 September
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch 9 LIVE
watersider

Marshall clutch play problems

Post by watersider » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 9:20 am

Marshall is a great player. We would be an average team without him and I respect the fact he is loyal to the club when he'd have better offers on the table. I'd also take him over any other player in the league simply because he makes tigers matches so compelling with his adlib play. So, this is not intended to bag Marhsall, but I thought I'd bring up two key moments in the last two years...

2010 Prelim final: Play stops with ten minutes to go as Lote Tuquiri receives attention for a Jeremy Smith knee to the back which will take him out of the game. Tigers have the ball on the Dragons 40m line and it is the last tackle with the match tied at 12 all and a very tense arm wrestle going on. When play resumes the ball goes out to Marshall who with time and space kicks the ball out on the full, giving the ball to the Dragons on their 40m line. From that set of six the Dragons play the ball into a field goal range and Jamie Soward kicks the field goal from 40 metres out.

2011 quarter final: Tigers are on the last tackle with four minutes to go leading 22-20 on the Warriors 40m line. Marhsall gets the ball out wide and elects to run it on the last. The play looked promising but Marshall ends up getting tackled on the last and turning the ball over to the Warriors on their 40m line. From the ensuing set of six the Warriors put up a bomb that is poorly dealt with by Lote and Krisnan Inu scores the game winning try.

Two crucial matches, two very important moments, two Marshall mistakes that cost two shots at a grand final two years in a row.

I think this is just what you accept when you have Marshall in the side. Somedays he will lose very important games and somedays he will win them. There is no way the side makes it this far without Marshall. I have seen them score brilliant tries doing the exact same thing Marshall did last night on the last tackle and you can't say not to try it again last night after our entire successful season has been based around that type of play. It was a well worked play, but was well defended by the warriors and we lost.

But, I wish he would have just kicked it and that is now two years in a row. Lets hope we get the same chance to try something special on the last in such a crucial game next year. Part of being a Wests tigers fan I guess.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 11:36 am

Like Sheens says, wouldn't swap him for anyone, because he creates far more than he ever mucks up.

I agree that he has made some mistakes at crucial times, but if you apply the same analysis I bet you can find those same errors throughout the team. I'd say its less a Benji thing and more a Tigers thing, but Benji has so much focus on him compared to the rest.

Even just looking at last night - if Farah puts in a kick himself last play, or Tuqiri catches that last kick rebound, or Lawrence dives harder at Inu, or Groat doesn't try to offload first half, or Lui makes proper contact on Mateo, or Heighno picks up Hohaia's dummy-half run... tonnes of tiny little moments that add up.

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 1:00 pm

He set up the match winning try for NZ last year. He is a rocks and diamonds player, he can win you a clutch game or lose you one. Him running on the last was more to do with the dud ball Farah game him than anything else.

clokan
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by clokan » Sat 17 Sep, 2011 11:36 pm

watersider wrote:Two crucial matches, two very important moments, two Marshall mistakes that cost two shots at a grand final two years in a row.
Why don't you have a look at the games we played without him. There were lots of points in last nights game that cost us, maybe the Warriors just wanted it more, maybe loosing gibbs, maybe Tuquri has offered nothing all season and couldn't clean up a bomb in the dying seconds. Maybe I should stop before I get angry.

Stupid thread

izotope

Post by izotope » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 12:55 am

Agree with it all. However If we wanna pinpoint whose fault that final play was I'd blame farah. He is captain and should know what benji is like and Shouldve shot it to the corner himself.

That been said we were beaten before it and were lucky to hang on until then.

We need Lui and Farah to step up in this situations as benji plays instinctively for better or worse

Posted using RoarFEED
tigers!

galahs

Post by galahs » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 1:55 am

With Marshall it's either Diamonds or Coal
We wear our heart on our sleeve.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 9:03 pm

I think Farah had the best chance to kick in that play. Benji may have called to run it though.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 9:05 pm

izotope wrote:Agree with it all. However If we wanna pinpoint whose fault that final play was I'd blame farah. He is captain and should know what benji is like and Shouldve shot it to the corner himself.

We need Lui and Farah to step up in this situations as benji plays instinctively for better or worse

Posted using RoarFEED
Kick it dead and we probably win

kill'em'all tigers

Post by kill'em'all tigers » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 9:23 pm

izotope wrote:Agree with it all. However If we wanna pinpoint whose fault that final play was I'd blame farah. He is captain and should know what benji is like and Shouldve shot it to the corner himself.

Posted using RoarFEED
i too thought this of farah, especially as he had done this exact thing during our run to the finals. i.e he took control of the game in the dying minutes and kicked out of dummy half for field position, even when it looked like there were oppurtunities for benji to run it.