Tigers feel loss but true grit is kicking in

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30PM Friday 16 September
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch 9 LIVE
Discussion Bot

Tigers feel loss but true grit is kicking in

Post by Discussion Bot » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 9:39 am

ImageWhen it comes to losing, I haven't experienced worse. To say I am devastated would be an understatement. The loss to the Warriors on Friday night was, I feel, the hardest defeat I have ever experienced. Not just the way we lost - I would prefer to lose by 20 points than do so under those circumstances, leading for most of the game before succumbing in the final few minutes - but this time it was personal, too.

I feel shattered that we could not send our departing teammates out in the way we had hoped. Tim Moltzen has been our best player over the past six weeks and he has now played his last game before moving to St George Illawarra. Bryce Gibbs and Andrew Fifita are moving to Cronulla. And Todd Payten … we couldn't even stay in the competition long enough to give Toddy, who is retiring, another game. We have all been desperate to send our mates out on a good note but we couldn't do so. We gave ourselves every opportunity to do it; to give Toddy another game with us.

We missed the chance, yet he won't get another one.

We felt like we were in control for the entire game but for it to turn around the way it did was heart-breaking. I felt like we stuck to the game plan and things were working for us. But we let it slip. Even today, Saturday, as I write this long after the final whistle, it is difficult to come to terms with the fact that we lost.

I'm not going to complain about the decision to award the Warriors' final try, either. In rugby league, you always need a bit of luck - a week earlier we received that fortune when I was awarded a try against St George Illawarra. What happened happened. There is nothing anyone can do about it now. They beat us.

But you know what? We're not going to get down on ourselves for too long. The thing that brought some perspective to the defeat was seeing little Lleyton Giles, our unofficial mascot, in a wheelchair after the game. We are playing rugby league for a living; he is battling for his life. Losing a game, being bundled out in a semi-final, suddenly doesn't seem so bad. It's nothing compared to what other people are having to deal with. Consider Simon Dwyer. Months ago he suffered an injury that put his career in jeopardy. Compared to the position he is in, we are still pretty blessed.

We are all devastated to lose, but at the same time, we all feel we have played a role in a good season for the club. We thought we could have gone a bit further, and we probably should have - I think we were the better side on the night - but it wasn't to be.

It has been a bitter-sweet year. For myself, there have been a lot of ups and downs. It has been very tough for me away from rugby league. It has been the hardest season I have been through. I would like to take this opportunity to thank my teammates, friends, family and the coaching staff for helping me through it. Guys like Blake Ayshford and Tim Moltzen were always making sure I was OK. The people who know you best know when you're struggling, and there have been times during the season when I have struggled. Those friendships don't change with a loss.

I'd also like to thank all the supporters, who I know will be just as devastated as we are. Like them, we now need to worry about next year. We will get over this, enjoy each other's company for a while and then set about ensuring we don't make the same mistake next year.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z1YFvaWOVH
Last edited by Discussion Bot on Sun 18 Sep, 2011 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

alien

Post by alien » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 3:02 pm

just focus on next year now benj. you have our support. just take it easy on us aussies in the 4 nations! :)

magpie mick

Post by magpie mick » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 3:09 pm

Good on you Benji for taking the time to write this & keep things in perspective. My self & my tiger cubs were really down after the loss. But my overall view as a fan is that as long as my team is challenging for the finals each year & are entertaining to watch things are pretty good.We had some great days at the footy this year & look forward to next season.I grew up in Lidcombe & have been a Magpie & now Wests Tigers fan since 1970.I would have to say the last 7 or 8 years have been the most entertaining & exciting.

Long Distance Tiger

Post by Long Distance Tiger » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 5:20 pm

Certainly puts everything into perspective. Bring on 2012

Posted using RoarFEED

tiger91

Post by tiger91 » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 5:57 pm

Well said. Let's go Tigers 2012!!!

Posted using RoarFEED

Mothermagpie

Post by Mothermagpie » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 7:45 pm

ThankYOU Benji :sign:

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 8:04 pm

Great attitude. Footy is just that. I love the Tigerts more than anything and whilst I was down on Friday night I have spent the weekend with my wife and kids and like Benji I will look forward to 2012.Special Shout out to Todd Payten one of my all time fav Tigers.Finaly I will stoill visit the WTF daily.
UTT - Up The Tigers

Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 8:18 pm

well said, onya benji .. like sparty i was sure down on friday night but i am so looking forward to next season already.
will miss the ' big hombre ' but i hope that toddy is around the tigers staff next season in some capacity.
:sign:
I dislike sowfs immensely

nadzy77

Post by nadzy77 » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 8:21 pm

Wow! That definitely put things into perspective... I guess if the players can move on and see past the unfortunate loss of Friday night then maybe i gotta stop being so miserable about it.
Poor Simon Dwyer I really he's okay and moltz :( seeing him in the red V is gonna hurt!!!
Gibbs and fifita are a big loss but I guess it's all part of the NRL.
Thanks Benji and can't wait for 2012

Posted using RoarFEED

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 8:22 pm

Benji, in many ways the life blood of the team, thinking of his loss but more importantly, thinking of his mates- well done Benji.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 2:30 pm

I can understand how the team & all at the club must be feeling, as we members, fans & supporters are devastated about the loss. But it is great to see Benji being so positive, & also disappointed that some of his team mates were not afforded the proper farewell, due to an early exit. We all appreciate the hard work that Todd Payten put in over the many years he played at the WT. Also Tim Moltzen, am really sorry that he had to leave us, and Bryce, he has had a great year too. I trust that all these guys will have successful careers at their new clubs/retirement.

Tigerdazz

Post by Tigerdazz » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 5:01 pm

All I want to say is this, earlier this year things were not looking good for the tigers, there was a chance of not making the top 8...who would have ever believed without Dweyer, fiffita, Payton, gibbsy injured and of the field after 10 minutes in the semi final and making the semi's without these guys..along with both lotte and lawrence out for most the season and back without much match practise and other injuries and problems with in the team that after all that our boys would rally and win 9 games in a row to make the semi's and just fall short on the bell..Benji, it was an amazing effort and all of us supporters were proud of your efforts this year...hold your heads up boys this season will only make us stronger for next year...I'm proud to call myself a tiger.
" ...I speak French to my troops , Italian to my women,Spanish to God and German to my horse ! " Loius XVI Image

Russta

Post by Russta » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks Benji. Your so right. I was devastated on Friday night more than last years semi's overtime loss to the chooks and nearly as much as the 89' grand final (i was 12 and cried like a baby). Im too old for tears now but would have gladly belted any warrior's fan on Friday night.But reading this article does put everything into prespective especially little Lleyton. Hang in there champ. 2012 the Tigers will be premiers.Go the Tigers

Tigerjoe

Post by Tigerjoe » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 1:02 am

Well chosen words Benji, just a pity you guys just threw that game away, it still hurts as the thing that was lacking this season is putting the opposition to the sword like you did in '05, gee - it would be great if the team can focus for the full 80 minutes - we'll be unbeatable ! Good luck in 2012.Go the Tiges!