I Will Finally Call It!

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2012
Yossarian

Re: I Will Finally Call It!

Post by Yossarian » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 9:16 pm

smoking gun wrote:Tedesco would want to absolutely carve up the trials to get the 1 jersey, talented no doubt but is it his time yet?? 12 months I think
That's a fair comment. I think the trials and pre-season form will be more important than previous years in sorting out the pecking order. Plenty to play for

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:25 pm

smoking gun wrote:Tedesco would want to absolutely carve up the trials to get the 1 jersey, talented no doubt but is it his time yet?? 12 months I think
So does that explain why we haven't offered Moltzen a contract beyond 2012 ??

willow

Post by willow » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:59 pm

happy tiger wrote:
So does that explain why we haven't offered Moltzen a contract beyond 2012 ??
Well there's no rush to re-sign Moltzen from how I look at it Happy. Moltzen certainly finished 2011 in good form, but young Tedesco is certainly training well, he's very strong and still growing, and he has all the right skills to make a top quality fullback. Granted, his age will probably hold him back somewhat, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, I won't be surprised if he gets a run in FG this season. Probably not straight away, but if injuries or form slumps strike, he could get a run in the second half of the season if he's playing to potential.

As for Moltzen, I think a lot depends on where Sheens plays him. I just hope he is used in the one position and get left there. Shuffling him around last season didn't help, and it wasn't until he was left at fullback and told to piull his finger out that we saw him gain some confidence and have a go. I see no reason to move him from fullback given how he finished last season, but with Lui departing, it does raise questions as to who will play half, with any one of four players in the running for the 7 jersey.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 11:14 pm

See your point Willow but shouldn't clubs be trying to sign players before the TV deals come through and save themselves some dough

Thats my thinking anyway

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 11:40 pm

Given the way Moltzen treated the Dragons, i don't think many clubs will be lining up for his signature. The Tigers have all the time they want to sort out a deal with him

Blackandwhite

Post by Blackandwhite » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 11:53 pm

happy tiger wrote:See your point Willow but shouldn't clubs be trying to sign players before the TV deals come through and save themselves some dough

Thats my thinking anyway
The top notch player managers would have the foresight to implement clauses to cover all possibilities including a cap rise as a result of a new TV deal.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:39 am

Blackandwhite wrote:
happy tiger wrote:See your point Willow but shouldn't clubs be trying to sign players before the TV deals come through and save themselves some dough

Thats my thinking anyway
The top notch player managers would have the foresight to implement clauses to cover all possibilities including a cap rise as a result of a new TV deal.
Yeah but even if you can someone on the cheap for one season or upgrade the following season it can be the difference in being able to keep the squad together and keep it strong for the future or losing key players

Honestly balancing the cap and keeping a strong squad at the same time would be a bloody nightmare .

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 1:44 am

I disagree Sheens has to make the GF. The last 2 seasons the experienced players lost us finals games in the last 5 minutes, simple as that. Nothing to do with Sheens coaching. Small details knocked us out. We have dominated almost all 5 of the finals we have played in the last 2 years. Benji kicked out on the full against the Dragons in 2010 PF which led to the field goal. Last year Farah failed to kick which led to the Warriors try. Those blokes do there job there and we have made the last 2 GF's.

I had big problems with Sheens from 2007 to 2009 when we seemed to have lost direction and ambition. Since then our recruitment and our excellent retention has suggested we have raised our ambition.

We have won 40 out of our last 63 games. Thats up near 65% win ratio over a 2 and a half year period. This is the sort of consistency we have been crying out for for years. If we jag another comp, fantastic, alot of luck is involved in the finals where one slip can prove your downfall. Sheens coaching will never lose us a finals game. Our experienced players let it slip the last 2 years.

Bottom line is Sheens just needs to keep guiding us to Top 4 finishes. Thats a finish that the roster needs to deliver year in year out with the talent currently on the books. We are the only club in the competition to have achieved that the last 2 years. It's no mean feat. Id argue we are the most relevant and dominant club in Sydney along with St George. We are finally becoming that consistent powerhouse.

Anyway, ive been a critic in the past, but i think he is as safe in the job as any coach in the league at the moment and rightly so. Keep finishing in the Top 4 and he can stay for another 10 years as far as i'm concerned.

Frazer4Wests

Post by Frazer4Wests » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 5:33 am

i totally agree eddie.

Sheens is the sole reason we compete very week,winning most weeks.
West Tigers 2017 Premiers

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 7:39 am

Go timmy sheens i cant see him leaveing just yet he still has a primership to win with the tigers.

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 5:27 pm

Perfectly said Eddie god on ya! I fully agree

Posted using RoarFEED