I Will Finally Call It!

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2012
magpiecol

Re: I Will Finally Call It!

Post by magpiecol » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 10:27 am

I do not think that we need Moltzen anywhere in the side.

Very "iffy" under the high ball, ditto in defence, no passing game and no kicking game. That does not leave much to justify his inclusion.

Oh, yes, he does not know the rules re a completed tackle.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 10:46 am

Thats a little harsh Col considering others don't know how to kick into the corners on the last tackle.....

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 11:00 am

"I think we will obviously know more after the trials, I know Sheens would like to squeeze Tedesco into the team so that would mean Moltzen half back. I don't like that, I wouldn't be rushing Tedesco but I trust Sheens knows what he is doing."

You are confident that Sheens will select Tedesco sooner rather than later Black & White. Tedesco played well last year and has the makings of a top prospect but wouldn't it be useful to work on his defence first? I agree with you in that if Sheens picks him early then he must be confident that Ted can aim up. The other thing to consider about a coach who has the experience of Sheens is that one of the things that would provide him with a lot of job satisfaction would be to ID a talent, bring them through when believed ready and develop them into a top player this could also be a reason if the young bloke comes through early. Fullback is a very important position as we know and to develop a top one would be a major achievement imo for a coach like Sheens. Obviously Tedesco is a winner as well if it comes off.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 11:15 am

magpiecol wrote:I do not think that we need Moltzen anywhere in the side.

Very "iffy" under the high ball, ditto in defence, no passing game and no kicking game. That does not leave much to justify his inclusion.

Open your eye col

3:13.....he can tackle

He has a brilliant passing, ball playing game, he has not been allowed to use it though I recall late last year he put Lui in with some brilliant ball plying close to the line

He's fine under the bomb.

His confidence has ballooned, he seems to be having a go now which is where I found fault with him in the past, my opinion of him has changed dramatically...Im glad we retained him

Blackandwhite

Post by Blackandwhite » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 11:35 am

cunno wrote:"
You are confident that Sheens will select Tedesco sooner rather than later Black & White. Tedesco played well last year and has the makings of a top prospect but wouldn't it be useful to work on his defence first? I agree with you in that if Sheens picks him early then he must be confident that Ted can aim up. The other thing to consider about a coach who has the experience of Sheens is that one of the things that would provide him with a lot of job satisfaction would be to ID a talent, bring them through when believed ready and develop them into a top player this could also be a reason if the young bloke comes through early. Fullback is a very important position as we know and to develop a top one would be a major achievement imo for a coach like Sheens. Obviously Tedesco is a winner as well if it comes off.
Tedesco has come through the pack and is now only a few seconds away from being the fittest at the club. But that doesn't make him ready for first grade.
Sheens likes to reward the ones that put the work in at training that's why Beau Ryan will be 1st choice winger. I think Sheens will give Tedesco a run in the first trial game but anything more than that would be a big gamble.

I think your right as a coach who has done everything Sheens gets most satisfaction from finding a talent and developing them. He dreams back to his Canberra days and hopes of being labelled the guy who found the next superstar.

Moltzen finished the season well and he should be the number 1 especially against St. George in round 3.

Goose

Post by Goose » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 11:53 am

Tedessco is still a boy in terms of physical development, unlike others say, I dont always think that being good enough means your old enough. We dont want to ruin him. IMO (like just about anyone that has seen much of him) he is a class act who looks like an excellent NRL playing in the making, but I dont think his body is ready for NRL just yet, give him a fully year in NYC

We have adequate options at full back we dont need to rush him.

I actually think Benji Marshalls early injuries were related to being asked to do more than his body was ready for, cause he was so talented

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 12:34 pm

Goose wrote:Tedessco is still a boy in terms of physical development, unlike others say, I dont always think that being good enough means your old enough. We dont want to ruin him. IMO (like just about anyone that has seen much of him) he is a class act who looks like an excellent NRL playing in the making, but I dont think his body is ready for NRL just yet, give him a fully year in NYC

I actually think Benji Marshalls early injuries were related to being asked to do more than his body was ready for, cause he was so talented
Agree 100% Goose, good post!

Blackandwhite

Post by Blackandwhite » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 12:56 pm

helmesy wrote:
Goose wrote:Tedessco is still a boy in terms of physical development, unlike others say, I dont always think that being good enough means your old enough. We dont want to ruin him. IMO (like just about anyone that has seen much of him) he is a class act who looks like an excellent NRL playing in the making, but I dont think his body is ready for NRL just yet, give him a fully year in NYC

Agree 100% Goose, good post!

And another 100% from me..well said.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 1:21 pm

innsaneink wrote:
magpiecol wrote:I do not think that we need Moltzen anywhere in the side.

Open your eye col

3:13.....he can tackle

He has a brilliant passing, ball playing game, he has not been allowed to use it though I recall late last year he put Lui in with some brilliant ball plying close to the line

He's fine under the bomb.

His confidence has ballooned, he seems to be having a go now which is where I found fault with him in the past, my opinion of him has changed dramatically...Im glad we retained him
I'm not. St. George have dodged a bullet.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 3:18 pm

Lets use a process of elimination.

Lets start with Fullback

Mitch Brown: I know there are a lot of Mitch Brown fans (including me) but Sheens showed last yr that he doesn't see him in the strongest 17. So IMO you can rule him out

John Grant: No way will he start the yr at fullback

Tedseco: As others have said, still too young and Sheens would be unlikely to rush him

Humble: Bit of an unknown

Reddy: Possibly, however i've heard theres a chance Sheens will play him in the back-row. Bench utility is where id like to see him. Would save us from having to use a winger

Moltzen: The most likely IMO. The way he finished the yr last yr, im not sure why there is even talk of him playing anywhere else

which takes to halfbacks

Humble: Like i said an unknown. I know he had big wraps at Parra

Chisholm: Don't know too much about him, but a few people on here seem to think he has ability so we'll have to wait and see i guess

Miller: The man for the job IMO. Good kicking game and organzier. Having Marshall and Farah alongside him would allow him not to have to be the main man from the get go.

So Moltzen at 1 and Miller at 7 for me

one-eyed-tiger

Post by one-eyed-tiger » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 4:38 pm

Agree GNR. That is the most likely lineup for Round 1. Then it's a case of those blokes defending their selections ahead of very stiff competition from others.

Looking forward to seeing Chisholm, Grant and Humble develop over the year. They could be genuine gamebreakers down the stretch (if not 2012, then in years to come). The future is bright. Well done Sheens, Humpty and team for smart recruitment.

Posted using RoarFEED

willow

Post by willow » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 5:45 pm

He's also developing very well physically. For a kid his age and weight he's very strong and pound for pound would be one of the strongest at the Tigers. He may not get a run in FG for the first half of the season, but if he continues to develop well, I won't be surprised if he's playing FG in the second half of the season like Groat did.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 5:50 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Lets use a process of elimination.

Lets start with Fullback

Mitch Brown: I know there are a lot of Mitch Brown fans (including me) but Sheens showed last yr that he doesn't see him in the strongest 17. So IMO you can rule him out

Tedseco: As others have said, still too young and Sheens would be unlikely to rush him

Reddy: Possibly, however i've heard theres a chance Sheens will play him in the back-row. Bench utility is where id like to see him. Would save us from having to use a winger

Moltzen: The most likely IMO. The way he finished the yr last yr, im not sure why there is even talk of him playing anywhere else

which takes to halfbacks

Chisholm: Don't know too much about him, but a few people on here seem to think he has ability so we'll have to wait and see i guess

Miller: The man for the job IMO. Good kicking game and organzier. Having Marshall and Farah alongside him would allow him not to have to be the main man from the get go.

That's probably how it will turn out but I won't be surprised if Chisholm gets a run and I believe Tedesco and Grant will also play FG this season, given the liklihood of injuries and depth being tested at the club.

black and white tiger

Post by black and white tiger » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 6:00 pm

Will be very interesting to see who is in the side is come the second half of the season.

Tedesco could step up and start getting some game time,
Grant could make a successful transition to league and forces his way into the side,
Reddy could also force his way into the starting side.
The back line could have a totally different look to what were expecting.

The second half of the season is shaping up to be just as interesting as the start if these guys do live up to expectations.

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 9:16 pm

Blackandwhite wrote:
cunno wrote:"
Tedesco has come through the pack and is now only a few seconds away from being the fittest at the club. But that doesn't make him ready for first grade.
Sheens likes to reward the ones that put the work in at training that's why Beau Ryan will be 1st choice winger. I think Sheens will give Tedesco a run in the first trial game but anything more than that would be a big gamble.

I think your right as a coach who has done everything Sheens gets most satisfaction from finding a talent and developing them. He dreams back to his Canberra days and hopes of being labelled the guy who found the next superstar.

Moltzen finished the season well and he should be the number 1 especially against St. George in round 3.
I'll be keen to see how he goes when he gets his chance at NRL, and hope he does well then builds from there as a player regardless of the grade.

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 9:29 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Lets use a process of elimination.

Lets start with Fullback

which takes to halfbacks

Well put GNR although if Miller is picked at half first up I hope he steps up and plays better than he finished last season otherwise he will cruel an opportunity and more. If Miller doesn't get half first up then that will make it very interesting as to who Sheens moves there, it wouldn't surprise me if it is Moltzen in that scenario and perhaps Reddy at fullback.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 2:26 pm

Who-ever is picked at half back, give them a chance, before calling for them to be punted from the starting 17.
nothing would please us all more than to see Miller have an good solid season, and take pressure off benji & Robbie in guiding team around the park.

only time will tell on this.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

smoking gun

Post by smoking gun » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 9:12 pm

Tedesco would want to absolutely carve up the trials to get the 1 jersey, talented no doubt but is it his time yet?? 12 months I think