Tedesco in strongman challenge

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2012
The Tooth

Tedesco in strongman challenge

Post by The Tooth » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 11:51 am

Hi all, Just a little tit bit of info in this long off season.

I heard Cusso on the radio yesterday promoting the sthrn highlands blitz.
He mentioned the boys did another strongman challenge down there.
When asked who stood out in the challenge he said Ellis did well, but it was some of the younger guys that came as a suprise in Tedesco and Humble.

I still haven't seen a single game of Tedesco's but I'm very excited considering some of the reports posted here. I thought he was still a year off first grade, but maybe he really is a chance to start the season in 1st grade as some have suggested. He must be really impressing Sheens with his pre season.

No doubt he'll get some trial games but as a fan I'd love to have that extra excitment of a young superstar in the making running out for us in 2012.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 11:53 am

Could well be a bolter for round 1.

As they say... If you're good enough, you're old enough.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Cos_Borg

Post by Cos_Borg » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 12:13 pm

If you had to compare him to other fullbacks who do you think he reminds you off, for those who has seen him play.

alex

Post by alex » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 12:22 pm

Cos_Borg wrote:If you had to compare him to other fullbacks who do you think he reminds you off, for those who has seen him play.
I remember seeing him play a game at Campbelltown towards the back end of 2011, pretty sure it was the Titans match, and his support play in that game was amongst the likes of Billy Slater. He would hover around the play the ball and always stand directly behind the ball, wherever it was, just waiting for that offload. He scored 3 tries off 3 consecutive sets, all from great support play through the middle. Given his size/frame though I'd say he's similar to Josh Dugan.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 12:44 pm

That sounds good to me Alex. The main thing we need is a player who converts half chances created by Farah, Marshall and Blair and turns them into points.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Tommy Magpie

Post by Tommy Magpie » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 12:53 pm

Sounds like a real talent. He may well have the attacking options in the bag, but being so young, may need to work on his defence and positioning.

willow

Post by willow » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 1:05 pm

For an 18 year old Tedesco is very strong and one of the Tigers strongest backs, I think he'll surprise a few people this year if given the chance in FG.

Post by 851 » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 1:23 pm

Lets hope this kid is signed long term,before the Roosters or Dogs come knocking.
Go hard or go home

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 1:30 pm

Has anyone been to any of the training sessions and seen who's running where during ball work?

For sheens to move Moltzen out of fullback after he persisted with him there for ever and a day you'd think he'd have to have an ace up is sleeve for the fullback position. To me that points to Tedesco donning the 1 jumper this season as I doubt he'd shift Moltzen for Brown, Humble or Reddy.

Posted using RoarFEED

batboy

Post by batboy » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 1:50 pm

I saw the Match against the Titans.... He was gold!!
I also saw the match against the Dragons at the end of the season.....
He got caught out of position and was made look foolish a number of times, I think at this stage he is Rocks and Diamonds... But with enormous potential!!
Bringing him on too early may bring out the beast.... Could work the other way as well??
Only time will tell.
Would I put him up against Locke, Slater or Boyd???....... Not just yet!!!

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 2:04 pm

Alex there is no way tedesco is at all similar to Dugan with his frame or body composition

Posted using RoarFEED

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 2:12 pm

tigerlogic wrote:Alex there is no way tedesco is at all similar to Dugan with his frame or body composition

Posted using RoarFEED

Maybe more like Brett Stewart
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Blackandwhite

Post by Blackandwhite » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 2:41 pm

batboy wrote:I also saw the match against the Dragons at the end of the season.....
He got caught out of position and was made look foolish a number of times,

The score was 28 - 0 to St.George their were a few infront of Tedesco in the defencive line who looked a lot more foolish and could have done a better job.

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 2:45 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:Could well be a bolter for round 1.

As they say... If you're good enough, you're old enough.
I dont always agree with that, sometimes your talent can get you to a level your body is not ready for, seen so many times.
If he is physically ready than all well and good, but it is always a risk with young kids.

As for who he plays like, he is a Brett Stewart/Billy Slater type player supports well around the middle, they even had him running that around the back second man loop play that Billy and Stewart run, and curiously enough just like Billy, on the left to right running of that play, Tedessco missed (or too slow his pass a bit to often.

They were calling him a Slater clone earlier last year.

Dont think he plays at all like Dugan.

I hope he goes on to be as good as Stewart and Slater.

alex

Post by alex » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 4:13 pm

tigerlogic wrote:Alex there is no way tedesco is at all similar to Dugan with his frame or body composition

Posted using RoarFEED

I just recall him being more of a taller/slimmer/wide shoulder frame as opposed to Slater who is more compact if you get what I mean. Brett Stewart could be a better comparison.

Rambo2714

Post by Rambo2714 » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 4:43 pm

This thread should be called " the tedesco appreciation society " ....... I'm waiting for some one to say something like :

" He is a bit like Brett Mullins in an Tim Brasher kind of way but also influenced by Darren lockyer , Andrew Merhetens and Dally Messenger ..... I have also bumped into him in the toilets at liechardt oval and I can confirm sun light shines out of his ......... "

Posted using RoarFEED
Wests for life !

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 5:04 pm

Rambo2714 wrote:This thread should be called " the tedesco appreciation society " ....... I'm waiting for some one to say something like :

" He is a bit like Brett Mullins in an Tim Brasher kind of way but also influenced by Darren lockyer , Andrew Merhetens and Dally Messenger ..... I have also bumped into him in the toilets at liechardt oval and I can confirm sun light shines out of his ......... "

Posted using RoarFEED

I think one of the best things in rugby league is the excitement of seeing a talented youngster with the world at his feet. It generates a lot of talk and anticipation. Sometimes fans may get too excited...but for me its the best thing about the start of every season. Obviously u have a more pessimistic view
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 5:24 pm

I reackon that nothing is cut and dried as to the 1, 6 & 7 jumpers for round 1.

If the Fonz knows, its a mystery to me. The training sessions I have seen have not shed much light at all.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.