Wests Tigers Season Preview: Halves

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2012
willow

Post by willow » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 11:59 am

Jake Hauritz
14/02/2012 11:27:18 AM

Benji Marshall is already a member of the NRL’s elite, but will the electric Kiwi be able to deliver the Wests Tigers a second premiership in 2012?

How do the Wests Tigers’ halves stack up entering 2012?

HALVES
Marshall's ability to create something out of nothing sets him apart from many in the NRL and last year the dynamic five-eighth stood up and took control of the Wests Tigers on field performances. At his best he is a frightening proposition for opposition defences.

With Marshall locked in at five-eighth, there is an intriguing race for the halfback position between Tim Moltzen, Jacob Miller, Tom Humble and Dane Chisholm.

Moltzen has an 82% winning record at halfback and looks set to be given first shot given he has combined well with Marshall in the past. In his four appearances last year, Miller made a case for future consideration and should get another chance. New signings Humble and Chisholm are skillfuil players who could well do the job at 7 if selected.

Top General Player Kicker: Benji Marshall averaged 7.5 Kicks and 246.3 Kick Metres in 2011 and 50.7 Dream Team Points Per Game.

Key Playmaker: Benji Marshall had 27 Line Break Assists and 24 Try Assists in 25 Games in 2011.

Bottom Line for 2012:
With a powerful forward pack in front of him, the performance of Benji Marshall will go a long way to deciding the Wests Tigers’ fate in 2012.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:11 pm

Was ultra impressed with moltzen against parra. Hard to imagine he hadn't played 7 for about 2 years. Combined with benji beautifully. The think I like about him is that he doesn't complicate things. He either gives it early or runs it. Never indecisive. Defended very strongly aswell.

Kul

Post by Kul » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:16 pm

He's still a 6 though. Always has been.
Not that that means anything these days...
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:21 pm

From all reports, I'd say Benji will be more of a Half this year than Moltzen... I dont have a problem, as Moltzen's strength is his running game and he has always been a 6.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:28 pm

Kul wrote:He's still a 6 though. Always has been.
Not that that means anything these days...
Yeah i agree Kul Moltz and Benji are both really sixes Still would prefer the 7 link with this side though as we saw last season once Lui got his over his injuries and confidence issues we were a far more dangerous side

I'm not sure that Moltz can play the genuine 7 role in the side as I would want it played

Kul

Post by Kul » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:33 pm

but the left/right doctrine employed by sheens suits having two sixes.
Farah substitutes for the 7 with either Moltz or Marshall outside

genius actually
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

Tiger99

Post by Tiger99 » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:42 pm

The numbers 6 and 7 are just that these days. The only thing with halves is that there is always one half more dominant than the other. We have the best halves combination in the competition.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm

Kul wrote:but the left/right doctrine employed by sheens suits having two sixes.
Farah substitutes for the 7 with either Moltz or Marshall outside

genius actually
Yeah I agree as long as Farah plays the first reciever role as the sub 7

My problem with Moltz when he plays that role is he seems predictable whether he is going to play the inside or outside man or whether he plays in behind and hits Marshall because he moves differently and at different speeds when he slides and clubs will pick up on this
I think he needs to slow down a touch and give the opposition time to commit and make the defensive read error which either he or Benji can exploit
Well lets put it this way ,if i can pick up on it any NRL coach will as well

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:48 pm

I think Tim Moltzen can be good in the halves.