ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Saturday 7 Feb, 7:30pm
Venue: Blue Tongue Stadium
Telecast: None
helmesy

Re: Score Updates?

Post by helmesy » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 9:23 am

A few observations from me -

The Tigers didn't get out of second gear, it was evident this game was taken lightly by the joking and smiling that the Tigers were getting up to when they got on the field.

A few things to be happy about...
Jacob Miller's form in both trials - He is really starting to run to the line and looked bigger and stronger than last year.
Joel Reddy - Real pro who will have a big year.
John Grant - Once again never looks out of place, will be in first grade at some stage.
Gareth Ellis - Ripped the Eels apart.
Adam Blair - All round pro, will be massive for us not just in his play but leadership skills.
Tim Moltzen/Benji Marshall - As Tim Sheens says fastest halves in the game, will be the best halves combo since Prince/Marshall.
James Tedesco - Looks the goods, just needs a but more time.
Matt Utai - The human wrecking ball, still has the odd mistake in his game but adds so much to the team.

Its going to be a big year!

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 9:43 am

We don't have the room in the backline or on the bench by the sounds of things :). I want to see a lot of these players play.

If Sheens throws in Reddy and Grant, we'll have a pretty big backline by the sounds of things.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 9:45 am

Thank you to Novicastrian Tiger and all others who have given such a great insight into the game at Gosford last night. It sounds like it was an excellent showing by the Tigers, and I can't wait for the season proper :righton:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 9:59 am

Havent heard Galloway or BMM mentioned by anyone that went.

Goose

Post by Goose » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:18 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Blackandwhite wrote:
Balmain Bug wrote:Moltzen played 5/8 and halfback tonight. Benji demanded the ball a lot at 1st receiver. I doubt either of them needed showers after the game, they cruised through it in a pretty relaxed way.

Parra did not put too much effort in tonights showing, but how they did not offer Joel REDDY a 2012 contract is beyond me.
Stephen Kearney is a bit out of his depth, I will put my money on him being the first coach to go this year.
Joel was glad to get out of the place and is now training with a professional team and a great coach and he will have a big year.
I realy thought he'd be a Bellamy clone coming from the Storm. You could make a case that he was dealt a rough hand given he was left with a handful of gereatrics that Daniel Anderson signed. This year is a make or break year for him now he has the team he wants. I'd put my money on Brian Smith to be the first coach sacked. He'd be odds-on
TBF to Anderson, he wasn't a fan of all the "experienced" signings last year, I reckon that Osborne and Spagnolo (given they were almost all Sam Ayoub maaged) had more say than either coach, many were made after Anderson got flciked

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:19 am

How was Bells game when he got on?

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:21 am

Novocastrian Tiger wrote:* Utai ... running like a possessed wombat
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH - Gold!

Thanks for the reports from everyone who went. Lovely reading :)
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:37 am

Galloway was good without being outstanding. Made some good meters as usual and his defense was OK.

I did not recall seeing Bell touch the ball in attack, but I did note his defensive contribution. He won't miss very many tackles. More than one made a scrambling tackle and looks effective and efficient in D.

BMM started well in his first stint, made one run in particular which stood out when he dragged four players a good six meters. He was quiet after that though. I feel he needs to get more involved, he could be a real strike weapon of switched on.

Also he is absolutely MASSIVE. I think he's bigger than last year. He was the biggest player on the field last night.

Posted using RoarFEED

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:06 pm

My ratings for anyone who is interested. Note I missed the last 10 minutes...but by that stage the game was a scrappy mess anyway. I was trying to take a real good look at the new boys.

Tedesco - 7/10: A few nervous moments early. He missed a grubber into the in goal and it rolled through his legs and thankfully out for a 20m tap. It was a tough bounce. At the other end early in second half he fumbled a long kick, but it went backwards and he ended up getting out of the in-goals. He took two superb bombs, the second one was brilliant, a very difficult take in lots of traffic. At the back he is a big talker, always pointing and directing. When Ellis broke the line for Ryan's try he was immediately up in support on the inside. Very clear he is a natural fullback and IMO a no-brainer for the #1.

Ryan - 6: Solid without being outstanding. Finished an easy try. Didn't make any mistakes as far as I was aware.

Ayshford - 6: Solid. Looks to have bulked up, very hard to bring down and once again made plenty of metres when he hit the line.

Reddy - 8: Outstanding defender. Saved two clear tries in the first half alone. His goalline defense will be a valuable asset. He is big strong and relatively quick. I know Ryan is the incumbent but I think Reddy will seriously press him for a wing spot. He is safe, reliable and a great defender.

Utai - 8: Unstoppable in first half, aside from one dropped ball. Dragged players for metres, ran across field a little bit on some runs, but often stepped inside and beat first defender. I dare say he would have had most metres of any player in first half (not sure of stats). Finished off two tries. Look, he's not the quickest player and his height is a worry under the high ball but you can see why he's in the side.

Marshall - 7: Threw some suberb passes. His kicking game was excellent, found the grass everytime, Almost kicked a 40/20. Didn't break a sweat but still looked dangerous.

Moltzen - 7: Defended well (including one try saver on our own line). Linked well with Marshall, as much as I still don't think he is a natural halfback its clear he and Benji just click. My biggest disappointment is that he did not do any general play kicking. Obviously this is a Sheens directive, but I found it concerning that he still didn't kick even with Farah not playing.

Woods - 6: Solid. Gives away one stupid penalty a match (this time for pushing a player over who was about to play the ball). Needs to cut this rubbish out. His hit ups were strong. Trampled right over the top of Allgood in the first couple of minutes and left him concussed.

Fulton (started at hooker) - 6: Was OK but we do miss alot of spark from dummy half without Robbie. Defended like a demon as usual.

Galloway - 6: Solid without being outstanding. A few very good runs, made plenty of metres. The forwards all interchanged alot so it was hard to judge.

Blair - 7: Good first hit out. Didn't look like he was out of first gear but still looked dangerous with ball in hand and menacing without. His line speed in defense is excellent, as is his ability to wrap up ball in tackles (and slow play the ball down). He is a bit of a grub in the play the ball, I like that. Was playing fairly wide on the left, will be a sight when we have everyone fully fit. Played about 65 minutes, out of all starting forwards he played the most minutes by far,

Ellis - 7: His usual self, which is excellent. Broke the line for Ryan's try. Was busy in both attack and defense.

Heighington - 7: Solid. Made a few good runs. Defense was good. I still think he often gets in the way in certain attacking plays we run.

---

Politoni - 6: Was OK, without doing too much. Didn't really notice him that much to be honest. Service from dummy half was OK, didn't throw any bad passes from what I could see.

Groat - 6: Made some good metres. Looks like he has bulked up, he's massive. Still has bad hands and needs to improve this. Dropped an easy ball when we looked like scoring.

Bell - 6: I did not notice him at all in attack. However his defense was very good which will make him a very valuable player to tighten up the ruck. I don't think he will make many metres but he will not miss many tackles. Made some great last ditch tackles last night. Very busy in defense overall and I think he'll definitely be on the bench come round one.

Humble - 6: Was OK at fullback without doing too much. Looked out of place in the halves. Kicking game in particular was poor. Good depth option if we get injuries. Won't play FG to start the year, IMO.

BMM - 6: Had a great first stint. Made some good runs, including one made one when he dragged four players a good six meters. He was quiet after that though. I feel he needs to get more involved, he could be a real strike weapon if he is switched on. He is absolutely MASSIVE. I think he's bigger than last year. He was the biggest player on the field last night.

Other players were tough to judge as they only played very limited minutes.

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks Hybrid!
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:39 pm

Thought Benji was worth an 8.........

Blackandwhite

Post by Blackandwhite » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for the updates everyone I feel like I was almost there with such in depth reporting.

Hayne was out and but Mullaney didn't get the call up is the right ...was he injured ?

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 1:24 pm

Nope. Mullaney played for Wenty

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 1:26 pm

softlaw wrote:
Novocastrian Tiger wrote:* Utai ... running like a possessed wombat
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH - Gold!

Thanks for the reports from everyone who went. Lovely reading :)
ill second that, NT! possessed wombat!! i actually did laugh out loud... classic... :lol:

tiger jim

Post by tiger jim » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 2:16 pm

Was at the game the guy that impressed me was Dane Chisholm this guy has a good footy brain and was not out of place in eighter grade

21sixers

Post by 21sixers » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 4:20 pm

tiger jim wrote:Was at the game the guy that impressed me was Dane Chisholm this guy has a good footy brain and was not out of place in eighter grade
just a shame most people will only be remembering the fumblenuts part of his efforts but he had to make the break
and run 50 odd meters to get there
blood sweat and ...beers

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 4:40 pm

With respect to Mullaney....who stole his neck?

Chisolm looks a very good player. Too good or reggies but I don't know where we fit him in.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 9:20 am

The ball Moltzen threw left to right for Ayshford was magic
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS