ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Saturday 14 Feb, 7:30pm
Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: None
Discussion Bot

Sheens happy with Marshall-Moltzen combination

Post by Discussion Bot » Wed 15 Feb, 2012 10:59 am

From WestsTigers.com.au

With his halves partnership settled, Wests Tigers Head Coach Tim Sheens is working hard to make sure the combination of Benji Marshall and Tim Moltzen is once again a deadly one.

Sheens has declared Moltzen will start the season at half-back after playing him at full-back for the majority of last season. The departure of Robert Lui has led to Sheens shifting Moltzen back to his preferred number 7 jersey.

The Marshall-Moltzen halves combination has proven very successful in the past. They will have one final chance to work on their partnership in the Foundation Cup trial match against Sydney Roosters at Campbelltown Sports Stadium this Saturday night before next month’s season kick-off.

“It is a combination I am happy with. I’ve given Tim that role right through the pre-season so he is not in two minds as to what I wanted,’’ Sheens said.

“I told him 7 and that’s where he needs to be focused and has done all his work. I’m pretty comfortable.

“He and Marshall are very close and Benji won’t dominate him which he has a habit of doing with other young players, like he did with Robert Lui.

“They will complement one another but Tim is a slightly different player to Lui so we have got to adjust our game a touch. Tim has got plenty of pace and he showed that with the running down of Chris Sandow over 80 metres (last Saturday night).

“I believe I have the quickest pair of halves in the game. Tim has a certain set of skills that we need to adjust our game a little bit around that.”

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Wed 15 Feb, 2012 11:01 am

Benji won’t dominate him which he has a habit of doing with other young players, like he did with Robert Lui.
Interesting comment.

BIG AL

Post by BIG AL » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 7:43 am

I am more worried about Farah being to dominating. IMO in the past he has tried too hard to take the pressure off the halves we have had.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 10:15 am

I think the most interesting comment Sheens had made is he has to quickest pair of halves in the competition

Its is true , but I think it is our passing game that will do the most damage to sides not the speed of our halves

The speed of our halves will be daunting no doubt to many sides but Benji's passing game would be more fearful to the coaches of the NRL imo

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:26 am

happy tiger wrote:I think the most interesting comment Sheens had made is he has to quickest pair of halves in the competition

Its is true , but I think it is our passing game that will do the most damage to sides not the speed of our halves

The speed of our halves will be daunting no doubt to many sides but Benji's passing game would be more fearful to the coaches of the NRL imo
Going on the few glimpses we got of Moltzens passing last week I think opposition coaches will be fearful of both their passing games.
They both possess enough speed off the mark to take advantage of any team who looks to the pass and forgets the man with the ball in hand.
Will be an interesting season. :D

tiger rat

Post by tiger rat » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:49 am

Both can do some unbelievable things at times but also some unbelievable dumb things as well.Too messy, see each other geting in the way of one another.

coolcat

Post by coolcat » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 1:35 pm

Tiger rat,
That would only be true if we play the ball on or near the side line. The tigers halls normally stand either side of the ruck so do see that happening. I watched the final vs the dragons last night. The way benji Tim and lui combined was great when the romped up the middle with their short passes. Plus tim and benji live together for years. I'm sure they have worked out how to stay out of each others way.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

willow

Post by willow » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 1:58 pm

tiger rat wrote:Both can do some unbelievable things at times but also some unbelievable dumb things as well.Too messy, see each other geting in the way of one another.
Won't happen. They understand each other too well.

tiger rat

Post by tiger rat » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 2:39 pm

coolcat wrote:Tiger rat,
That would only be true if we play the ball on or near the side line. The tigers halls normally stand either side of the ruck so do see that happening. I watched the final vs the dragons last night. The way benji Tim and lui combined was great when the romped up the middle with their short passes. Plus tim and benji live together for years. I'm sure they have worked out how to stay out of each others way.

Probably comes more down to Farrah H's going to have a lot of pressure on his shoulders .Marshall one side Timmy the other .Timmy calls right Benji calls left. i'd be inclined to give the captaincy to Marshall to stop any confusion.Do Benji and Robbie really get on ? Do Sheens and Robbie really get on ?

coolcat

Post by coolcat » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 2:54 pm

T Rat
Over and over again they both say they get along. Worst you could see it as both had played with each other for years and respect each other as team mates. But I feel the whole team are very close.

Post by 2041 » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 3:07 pm

It's a well-oiled machine. If Benji's at the fridge getting some meat paste and Wonderloaf you can bet your bottom dollar Moltz won't be closer than the spare bedroom's en suite. They've actually not been within 8.5 metres of each other off the park for over two years. ;)

barra

Post by barra » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 3:54 pm

cktiger wrote: Going on the few glimpses we got of Moltzens passing last week I think opposition coaches will be fearful of both their passing games.
They both possess enough speed off the mark to take advantage of any team who looks to the pass and forgets the man with the ball in hand.
Yep, looking forward to seeing some 'show-and-go' from Moltzen... with Ayshford in waiting.

willow

Post by willow » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 6:38 pm

tiger rat wrote:

Probably comes more down to Farrah H's going to have a lot of pressure on his shoulders .Marshall one side Timmy the other .Timmy calls right Benji calls left. i'd be inclined to give the captaincy to Marshall to stop any confusion.Do Benji and Robbie really get on ? Do Sheens and Robbie really get on ?
There's no issue between Marshall and Farah.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 7:19 pm

If Marshall and Farah realy didn't get along, do you think they would have spent almost 10 yrs playing together? they both have had plenty of chances to go elsewhere. And if Sheens and Farah have issues, why has Farah been captain for the last 4 yrs?

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 2:17 pm

tiger rat wrote:

Theyre both playmakers....just cause one had the (C) wouldnt give him any seniority over the other in a split second attcking call. That said the sets are usually very well structured from tackle 1 - 6 so everyone knows what page each is on.

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 1:18 am

cktiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:I think the most interesting comment Sheens had made is he has to quickest pair of halves in the competition

Going on the few glimpses we got of Moltzens passing last week I think opposition coaches will be fearful of both their passing games.
interesting season indeed and i hope they find their old 6 and 7 rhythm from the get go.

pace is the biggest asset in the game, to have our halves both with decent pace is a huge advantage.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 4:07 am

First post for 2012. and I'm pumped for the season to start. I think we're in a great position and the best we have ever been in as a club coming into round 1.

We have the key positions covered, blend of youth and experience, depth and loads of talent. What I like most about the team is that almost all the players are either at the height of their powers or still getting better. Of course Lote is the notable exception but we've made provisions to cover him. If he plays well it will be a bonus but at the same time I dont know if anyone would be shocked if he misses lots of games this year.

I feel the team is hungrier this year too. I suppose the last 2 years will do that. The pain makes the good times even better :D I must have watched, attended or listed to every Balmain game for 14 years when they were fielding highschool quality teams and getting flogged by 40 most weeks so I'm loving the depth of talent we have in the roster at the moment.

I'm based in Dubai these days but I still watch every game on OSN sports and take a half day off every time the game falls on a Sunday or Monday (we start work on Sundays here). I confess to sometimes not going to the office when they play a bad game and being grumpy for the whole week. :oops:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 9:40 am

helmesy wrote:
Benji won’t dominate him which he has a habit of doing with other young players, like he did with Robert Lui.
Interesting comment.

Ironic, and prophetic.