LIVE game thread

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Saturday 14 Feb, 7:30pm
Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: None
Eddie

Re: LIVE game thread

Post by Eddie » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 11:03 pm

Tedesco was excellent. Has all the right fullback instincts, puts his body on the line, looks lightening quick and has a great leap. He should be there in 2 weeks. His style of game reminded me of Billy Slater. Thought Benji looked in great nick, short kicking game was excellent. Ryan finished really clinically on all the tries and did everything right all right.

We gave up 3 soft goal line tries, really should have won the game. Really should have done better with simple one on one misses. Had a glut of opportunities in the second half however it looked a bit like Benji magic or bust at times there. Farah looked pretty rusty as did Lawrence. Reddy and Utai were poor.

Overall we look in pretty good nick heading into Round 1 fitness wise. Our right side attack looked quite dangerous tonight and Blair looked strong a couple of times in the opponents 20. Decent hit out and no injuries.

18thman

Post by 18thman » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 11:15 pm

Surprised no-one has mentioned the 'try' by Robbie Farah. The ref blew a penalty too soon but Robbie def. got the ball down....I was right in line with it.....could have cost us the game......oh that's right...it did!

I'm not concerned about the result...plenty of positives a) Tedesco did enough to wrap up the full-back pozzi b) the Marshall - Moltzen show will be the best ticket in the NRL c) the forwards went forward and the backline was sharp d) Bunjis' goalkicking looks to be promising better results this season.

On the flip side ....there was vey little intensity in defence, but that was to be expected. Basically, the Rooters scored at will, but again, it was the fringe players that were a bit lost positionally, so no biggy...

Looking forward to a HUGE year culminating in a premiership, so the guy who said it was going to be a long year is spot on....all the way to October!!!

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 11:16 pm

over the last season or so marshall has become a very good goalkicker. even in the times he missed so often he struck it well but was always off - which seem to have always been from the sideline too?!

anyway, all i take are positives from this. trials are only just that. cant wait for next week!!! finally the wait is (almost!) over...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 12:35 am

851 wrote:Trial or not,it is our last hit out before the season starts,we need to learn how to close out games or we are not going to win the end of season games.Lets hope this makes them hungry for the Sharks game,but beating a dissappointing Eels side and losing to Easts,is not premiership favourite form.
The game was like a doner kebab....started out beautiful, ended up a mess.
Seriously.....both teams had players off & on in the second half, no one could work out whjat the hell was happening, Reddy at one stage was in the forwards, then later on the wing, back in the forwards. cant close out a game with players on & off....
Tip....the bookies are wrong.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 12:38 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
Balmain Bug wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:I'm pretty sure Fulton was on the field late in first half, pretty sure it was him who missed a tackle that lead to a try.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

No thats not right. I think it was Waters. He missed some pearlers.
Was Waters wearing #14 too? Positive it was #14 who missed a tackle on Roosters second try.
Dunno the number but it was definitey Waters Pearce left sprawling

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 12:56 am

Golden wrote:Sounds like the usual tigers game lead most of the game and lose lmao!!
Gee what a surprise that you pop up for the first time in 6 months in a live game thread after we lose only to put the foot in. Realy looking forward to another year of reading live game threads where you only ever seem to comment, when we are losing so you can have a whinge. Your a one trick pony, change the channel. Oh and just incase you didn't know, tonight was a trial, who cares about the result. Pretty stupid you sit here and laugh and moan about how they performed in a trial
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Sun 19 Feb, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 1:16 am

A couple things i took out of the game

1. Tedesco is something special. It was my first look at him tonight, and i didn't have to wait too long. About 45 seconds to be exact. It was Lachlan Coote-esque the way he chased the bomb, leaped and put it down over the line. After that i was waiting to see how he'd go on the kick-returns, and he beat 3 or 4 defenders the first time a he retrieved a kick. He got man-handled a lot though, but that will happen given his size

2. Haven't seen it mentioned but it seemed like 75 per cent of the attack went down the right side, Hence the Beauster's hat-trick. Could put it down to experimentation i guess

3. Blair was playing on the left edge. I thought it was assumed that he would be on the right, but again seeing how its a trial, could be experimenting

4. Benji kicked a few from wide out which is encouriging

5. Didn't notice Brown at all. Did he even play?

6. Matt Groat looks like a monster

7. It was funny how after 20 mins, the Roosters got a penalty, and the whole side turned and ran off and an entire new side ran out. Never seen that before

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 7:38 am

So the question remains..who was the bald guy from Bret??

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 7:58 am

wtfl1981 wrote:Crowd = 7426

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
VERY POOR CROWD

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 8:42 am

innsaneink wrote:
851 wrote:Trial or not,it is our last hit out before the season starts,we need to learn how to close out games or we are not going to win the end of season games.Lets hope this makes them hungry for the Sharks game,but beating a dissappointing Eels side and losing to Easts,is not premiership favourite form.
The game was like a doner kebab....started out beautiful, ended up a mess.
Seriously.....both teams had players off & on in the second half, no one could work out whjat the hell was happening, Reddy at one stage was in the forwards, then later on the wing, back in the forwards. cant close out a game with players on & off....
Tip....the bookies are wrong.
Best analogy ever Ink! :lol:
Just because it's soap doesn't mean it's clean.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 8:44 am

Snake wrote:So the question remains..who was the bald guy from Bret??
Nathan Waters
Best analogy ever Ink!
Was very frustrating the 2nd half
Noticed a massive difference when Robbie went off.....surprised me to see him rest robbie yet not Benji....I was thinking last night ' but Benji played 4N' ...Im guessing now it was more to do with Robs surgery

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 8:49 am

innsaneink wrote:
Nathan Waters
Yes it was and he wasn't on for long either playing hooker. Farah looked very keen last night, good to see. Your description of the kebab is a good description of the game Ink after all it was a trial.

tiger rat

Post by tiger rat » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 8:53 am

willow wrote:
tiger rat wrote:Terrible effort should have won that so easy, going to be a very long season.
Good to see you're not letting your lack of knowledge of the game get in the way of making your season prediction.

Following the herd with the sheep mentality will not bring success. i

Deano1

Post by Deano1 » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:16 am

Great analogy Ink, that's pretty much spot on. LOL!

Definitely agree with those giving Tedesco a wrap, he's got something about him and the try he scored could have been Lachlan Coote.

Was at the North end of the ground last night and right near where the rorters were scoring their points. They were soft, but you could tell it was just a lack of any competition points on offer.

Also noticed that the bulk of roosters points came on the back of consecutive penalties to the roosters which helped them march from one end of the field to the other pretty easy.

Thought Matt Bell went okay, defends well and always gets yards with the pill in hand.

We were definitely experimeting with our right side attack in the second half, looked like we had numerous opportunities to go left but ignored it to keep going right.

Overall thought we looked pretty slick when the first team was on, but lost once some of the subbies came on....to be expected.

Pretty sure Nathan Waters had no number on his back while he was on, as did Mitch Brown during the five minutes he was on.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:25 am

tiger rat wrote:
willow wrote:
tiger rat wrote:Terrible effort should have won that so easy, going to be a very long season.
Good to see you're not letting your lack of knowledge of the game get in the way of making your season prediction.

Following the herd with the sheep mentality will not bring success. i
Tiger Rat I much as I appreciate your efforts in standing up for what you think is right , I think you need to ask this one question " Why do many people disagree with my reasoning on Sheens and how the Tigers are going to go"

Or if you are fishing , these waters are a green zone and you might want to try a different area before the authorities catch up with you and give you a fine

underdog

Post by underdog » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 10:04 am

innsaneink wrote:
Nathan Waters
Best analogy ever Ink!
Was very frustrating the 2nd half
Noticed a massive difference when Robbie went off.....surprised me to see him rest robbie yet not Benji....I was thinking last night ' but Benji played 4N' ...Im guessing now it was more to do with Robs surgery
it was to do with his groin. He was right in front of where i was sitting on the exercise bike, and at one point Moltzen wandered over and gestured at the clear tape up high on his thigh, and Robbie gestured as if to say "no worries mate"

for a guy who is known to be a stress head during the game he looked pretty chilled out - as did everybody on the team.

Couple of other things -

For those wanting to know how Benji Marshalls brother went in the under 20's.... he did a Wade Mckinnon when the bench went to warm up.... poor guy.

For all those worrying about mitch brown, he looked like he knew exactly where/what he was doing in our squad. He didn't have that clueless "who me sir?" look Fifita used to have. He may not get a run this year every game, but he certainly doesn't look on the outer of the team.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 10:43 am

Tedesco played very well.

Farah, lawrence & Brown were all rusty in their various game times during the day.

Bell was the standout for mine along with Woods in the forwards.

We looked to be trying out alot of things along with going through the motions of applying pressure through repeat sets.

Brian Smith is a goober of the highest order. First with the whole team change and secondly with his quick fire rotation of front rowers, gave them short spurts when they should have had time in their legs in a game situation.

Was dissapointed Moors did not get a run even though he was sat on the bench.

The most important thing was NO INJURIES

willow

Post by willow » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 11:03 am

smeghead wrote:Tedesco played very well.

Farah, lawrence & Brown were all rusty in their various game times during the day.

Bell was the standout for mine along with Woods in the forwards.

We looked to be trying out alot of things along with going through the motions of applying pressure through repeat sets.

Brian Smith is a goober of the highest order. First with the whole team change and secondly with his quick fire rotation of front rowers, gave them short spurts when they should have had time in their legs in a game situation.

Was dissapointed Moors did not get a run even though he was sat on the bench.

The most important thing was NO INJURIES
x2 Smeg. Couldn't help but shake my head as the Roosters did a gridiron changeover after 20 minutes. Moors deserved a run, he was the best forward on the field for Balmain and looks fitter and leaner than last year.

I have to say the Tigers looked to play well within themselves and went side to side a bit too often. The passing game was pretty good but if the team focused more on go forward I think they would have come away with the points. As it stands, if Benji and Nathan Waters didn't miss one on one tackles so poorly the Tigers would have retained the Foundation Cup. At the end of the day they didn't seem too concerned about that as opposed to gaining some match fitness and work on some combos. The Roosters played to their strength which was using their size up the middle. Some seriously big units in that squad but I think they lack the skill to trouble the top sides.