Golden Point

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Sunday 4 March 2:00PM
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Telecast:
shane2801

Golden Point

Post by shane2801 » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 7:10 pm

Is it only me or do others believe that GP sould be overhauled? I was all for it when it first got introduced but now it's too predictable. For some strange reason I wasn't jumping for joy when Marshall kicked the FG today. I actually felt for Cronulla a little as they had a really great second half. I would have preferred Marshall to have kicked the goal to make it 18-16

Whats wrong with just a plain 10 mins extra time. Forget golden anything. If it's still a draw then so be it.
Now if there was a golden anything I would prefer to see try than point.

Thoughts??
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 7:13 pm

I dont like golden point, when it becomes a field goal a thon it becomes boring. Golden try or 10 mins extra play will do me as I like a result other than a draw if possible.

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 7:15 pm

Just thinking Stryker if it was only 10 mins extra time it would still turn into a field goal-athon. Golden try I say.

Rambo2714

Post by Rambo2714 » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 7:23 pm

I like it the way it is , very exciting and intense .

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
Wests for life !

Hit or Miss

Post by Hit or Miss » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 7:38 pm

Golden point is terrible. A draw is a draw. It becomes a boring Field Goal fest. If 2 teams are good or bad enough to finish equal after 80min then they should share the comp points.

Fitztigers

Post by Fitztigers » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 8:33 pm

I agree Hit or Miss, golden point should only come into play when teams are in finals.

Adman

Post by Adman » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 8:43 pm

I hate golden point too. But how the hell you lot were bored or not excited when extra time kicked in, with the kick off hitting the cross bar, the mayhem that followed and marshall sending that ball over is beyond me...

Golden try or let it be a draw I say.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 8:48 pm

I hate golden point, both games should have been draws .but ill take the two this week .

westy81

Post by westy81 » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 9:05 pm

I like GP adds more excitment to the game everyone use to say before GP came in that it was needed nor that it's in everyone wants it back to 80 mins then a draw, maybe they should spice it up by making 1st half golden try then if no one gets a try make the 2nd half golden point

GO THE TIGERS !!!!

kill'em'all tigers

Post by kill'em'all tigers » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 9:43 pm

How people think it is boring is beyond me? What, do you just turn off the tele & ask your missus to tell you about her day to give you some excitement?
Every thing that happens is potential game deciding. The most uninteresting, typical hit-up that would occur during the 1st 80 mins all of a sudden becomes the most important thing of the week.
Sure it could be considered unfair but thursday's game became a "boring" field gaol fest from the 70th min. Does that mean it's unfair if a team kicks it with 10secs on the clock?

I'd prefer golden try, but as long as it's not a draw then i'm all for it.

NZTiger

Post by NZTiger » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 9:55 pm

It was a bit rough to expect those players to battle it out for an extra 10 mins in that heat and I must admit too, I felt sorry for the Sharks who have come away with nothing from that mighty effort.

If I was to overhaul golden point, I'd like to see half a point (0.5) for to both sides for the drawn 80 mins result, and then both teams have the chance to play the remaining point on offer in a 10 min Golden TRY period.
If a team scores a try, that team is rewarded 1.5 points for the game, and the losing side come away with half a point for their efforts.
If no try scored, both teams take a point each (upgraded from their half a point) for the drawn result.

Half points would be a good way to seperate spots on the competition ladder, so For and Against wouldnt always be the answer to decide 8th spot, for example.
In a season, there can be sides that get games to golden point on numerous occasions but will get nothing for it at the end of the season. Under this system, a team that may take a game to golden try 4 times in a season say, would still pick up a guaranteed 2 competition points :)
UNDISCOVERED ROCK RADIO!
http://www.undiscoveredrockradio.com

wtfl1981

Post by wtfl1981 » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 10:01 pm

Golden try would be an alternative..

WESTS TIGERS FOR LIFE!

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 10:14 pm

I've always hated golden pt. A win doesn't change my mind.
Everything is too dependant on the refs not stuffing up.
A draw would have been the fairest result today and just about every time scores are level at the end of the game.

bird2380

Post by bird2380 » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 10:21 pm

I hate golden point, these days u got blokes that can drop kick 40-50 mtrs its good when u win but S$&T when u lose. I think it should be golden try make them throw the ball around a bit.

Ice-Tiger

Post by Ice-Tiger » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 11:11 pm

I don't think it should be golden anything. It should be 10 minutes extra time and that's all.

How can you say that it is fair that the team that gets the ball first in extra time and scores the field goal is the winner when the other team doesn't get to touch the ball.

It should be ten minutes extra time and the leader after that time is the winner. If its still a draw, then its a draw.

In a finals situation, I think we need to keep playing 10 minute games until there is an eventual winner.

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 11:14 pm

NZTiger wrote:It was a bit rough to expect those players to battle it out for an extra 10 mins in that heat and I must admit too, I felt sorry for the Sharks who have come away with nothing from that mighty effort.

If I was to overhaul golden point, I'd like to see half a point (0.5) for to both sides for the drawn 80 mins result, and then both teams have the chance to play the remaining point on offer in a 10 min Golden TRY period.
If a team scores a try, that team is rewarded 1.5 points for the game, and the losing side come away with half a point for their efforts.
If no try scored, both teams take a point each (upgraded from their half a point) for the drawn result.

Half points would be a good way to seperate spots on the competition ladder, so For and Against wouldnt always be the answer to decide 8th spot, for example.
In a season, there can be sides that get games to golden point on numerous occasions but will get nothing for it at the end of the season. Under this system, a team that may take a game to golden try 4 times in a season say, would still pick up a guaranteed 2 competition points :)

What a top suggestion. This is even better than Golden Try. I never even thought of this. What do others think?

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 6:47 am

I hate golden point, go back to draws thanks. It's not necessary to have a winner in a regular game.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 8:56 am

If the NRL wishes to keep golden point, then the premiership points for each match should be 3 points.

Win in normal time - 3 points
Loss in normal time - 0 points
Win in golden point - 2 points
Loss in golden point - 1 point

Draw - 1 point each