Extreme lack of aggression

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Friday 9 March 7:30PM
Venue:Bluetongue Stadium
Telecast: Ch9
genoshan

Re: Extreme lack of aggression

Post by genoshan » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 4:09 pm

I'm not sure aggression and passion can be ' coached ' If you don't have these thing intrisincly then you never will.

I agree with what Bug says, except for pointing the finger at Sheens. I think he does a good job.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 4:09 pm

[quote="AmericanHistoryX"]bug, the magpies days are over. masters mastered the art of aggression because of his intellectual ingenuity however society saw it as violent and banned the art. ultimately it cost wests a premiership when we had the best team in that era. hartley saw to that and ironically i believe Humphreys. however this is 2012. we are in a new epoch. when i think of aggression these days i think of john hopate and terry lamb - how far did that get us?[/quote]

That wasn't aggression - that was stupidity.
There have been a few mentions about us getting in the 4 the last 2 years without being too aggro - but thats as far as we get!
The last 2 years we have had the strikepower to get in front in the big games and then get overpowered.
Bug's right this time - we need the passion and aggressiveness in our pack to grind teams into the ground when we get within a sniff of winning.
When was the last time you heard "feared tigers pack" used to describe us in a sentence.
(80's for Tigers fans / 70's for Maggies)
Open the papers this week and see what they use to describe Manly's pack.

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 4:12 pm

genoshan wrote:I'm not sure aggression and passion can be ' coached ' If you don't have these thing intrisincly then you never will.

I agree with what Bug says, except for pointing the finger at Sheens. I think he does a good job.
these topics only ever come up after a loss or a Close win which we didnt play to our best

coolcat

Post by coolcat » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 4:15 pm

The crowd was dead on Sunday. But speaking for my self, I got there at 10am. I was burnt, drinking water like a fish, and then the ground ran out of water, and that was before the game started.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 4:21 pm

Its noticeable watching other teams how much aggro we lack at times.

I wrote a while ago - Keith is Keith - he wont change - he disappoints me most I think in this regard

Last Sunday as mentioned conditions dictated that pacing yourself was a must....but more aggro wouldnt go astray and we'll need it

genoshan

Post by genoshan » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 4:33 pm

innsaneink wrote:Its noticeable watching other teams how much aggro we lack at times.

I wrote a while ago - Keith is Keith - he wont change - he disappoints me most I think in this regard

Last Sunday as mentioned conditions dictated that pacing yourself was a must....but more aggro wouldnt go astray and we'll need it
I love watching good forwards play. Every time I see Keith run the ball he seems to lope. He is one player I would love to see with more aggression particularly in his running of the ball.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 4:42 pm

genoshan wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Its noticeable watching other teams how much aggro we lack at times.

I love watching good forwards play. Every time I see Keith run the ball he seems to lope. He is one player I would love to see with more aggression particularly in his running of the ball.
maybe he should be kicked in the nuts/ smacked across the head etc. just before running onto the field.
once getting over the initial pain I am sure all on here, would agree that it would make anyone angry.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Deano1

Post by Deano1 » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 4:46 pm

coolcat wrote:The crowd was dead on Sunday. But speaking for my self, I got there at 10am. I was burnt, drinking water like a fish, and then the ground ran out of water, and that was before the game started.

LOL...I still look like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer.

It's only been one game so I ain't going to judge them on their lack of mongrel yet. Having said that, it's always nice to see a few opposition players being sat on their backsides. I think one of the problems with our guys being aggressive is it regularly seems to backfire. Chris Lawrance on Sunday was a classic example...he rushed up out of the line to put a big hit on a Cronulla player. The hit looked good but he was left on the ground, after a quick play the ball Carney ran straight into the defensive hole Lawrance left....and scored.

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 5:30 pm

I usually get a laugh out of the Bug, but it was hot on Sunday & they had a run of penalties go there way. Bug give it a break mate Sheens didnt drop the ball or miss the tackle mate.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 5:33 pm

While there are flashes of brilliance we are still littered with mistakes and low percentage plays. The team needs a solid leader. Our style of play won't win us a premiership ..
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 5:43 pm

I usually get a laugh out of the Bug, but it was hot on Sunday & they had a run of penalties go there way. Bug give it a break mate Sheens didnt drop the ball or miss the tackle mate.

And all this after a win, just wait until we lose a couple on the trot the sack Sheens and co posts will come thick and fast.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 5:49 pm

What a load of crap blaming the weather, these guys are athletes, it's only 40 min halfs and they get ROTATED every so often, toughen up you sooks . The forward pack is soft .Bug is spot on the money ,IT all comes back on the coach !!!
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

cunno

Post by cunno » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 5:55 pm

tomcat wrote:While there are flashes of brilliance we are still littered with mistakes and low percentage plays. The team needs a solid leader. Our style of play won't win us a premiership ..
You have a point there tomcat in relation to leadership I was surprised at the way the team lost its way a number of times in attack last weekend.

As for aggression, I'm not sure how much emphasis Sheens places on this. I'm not saying that he coaches the team to play soft but rather I think his emphasis is more on tactics and plays to win games rather than placing too much emphasis on aggression. If you think about the teams he has coached over the years at all levels I don't recall his teams being renowned for being overly aggressive. Recalling his own playing days, Sheens was a tough front rower but not overly aggressive I think he is more interested in the skills and styles of play rather than trying to place too much emphasis on what some would see as unnecessary aggression. I am not saying he is soft nor the teams he coaches are soft but the emphasis is in other areas.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 7:04 pm

you don't have to play harder, play smarter.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 7:16 pm

westTAHger wrote:you don't have to play harder, play smarter.
This, pushing passes, kicking on the 3rd, panicking as if we need to score off every play. They started to do a bit of that on Sunday.

tigertales

Post by tigertales » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 7:48 pm

What a load of rubbish, Rnd 1 a win, albeit a scrappy one and its The Fonz blah blah blah seriously you dont get bored of that??? Bit easier to watch in the air conditioning at home isnt it BB cos if you were at the ground you would have realised that Gallen had no aggression, Gibbs showed no aggression playing against his old Club that punted him, Fifita had no aggression, tell me a forward that did, maybe Ellis but he only knows one way. Suppose we should sack Timmy and get Tommy?

As for Galloway, he shouldnt have even played on the weekend so yea he was below his best.

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 8:34 pm

tigertales wrote:What a load of rubbish, Rnd 1 a win, albeit a scrappy one and its The Fonz blah blah blah seriously you dont get bored of that??? Bit easier to watch in the air conditioning at home isnt it BB cos if you were at the ground you would have realised that Gallen had no aggression, Gibbs showed no aggression playing against his old Club that punted him, Fifita had no aggression, tell me a forward that did, maybe Ellis but he only knows one way. Suppose we should sack Timmy and get Tommy?

As for Galloway, he shouldnt have even played on the weekend so yea he was below his best.
What about the lack of aggression this team has showed in the last 6 years ??

I was on the hill, it was hot, these blokes are pro's.

If Manly take the field 1-17 they will easily out-muscle us out of the game.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 8:56 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:
tigertales wrote:What a load of rubbish, Rnd 1 a win, albeit a scrappy one and its The Fonz blah blah blah seriously you dont get bored of that??? Bit easier to watch in the air conditioning at home isnt it BB cos if you were at the ground you would have realised that Gallen had no aggression, Gibbs showed no aggression playing against his old Club that punted him, Fifita had no aggression, tell me a forward that did, maybe Ellis but he only knows one way. Suppose we should sack Timmy and get Tommy?

What about the lack of aggression this team has showed in the last 6 years ??

I was on the hill, it was hot, these blokes are pro's.

If Manly take the field 1-17 they will easily out-muscle us out of the game.
We wore ourselves out last game, but so did Cronulla. The weather affected both sides.

That said, I agree with you Bug, If Manly line up 1-17 and we offer the same performance, we will be humiliated. Now is the time to stamp authority.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...