One of those games

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Friday 9 March 7:30PM
Venue:Bluetongue Stadium
Telecast: Ch9
Tiger_heart

One of those games

Post by Tiger_heart » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 9:29 pm

We looked good in patches, a couple of mistakes cost us dearly, together with loss of Ellis. Not sure why we don't get the ball to Ayshford more often, we looked dangerous when he handled...We came back strongly but too late in the game. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this loss...

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 9:34 pm

Couldn't agree more. Pretty much everything that could went wrong - that was going to happen after last week - and we still were highly competitive against the new premiership favourites.

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 9:36 pm

boy do we drop off when one of our players gets injured. once ellis got that cork and went off i think half our team went off mentally.

biggest tigers fan

Post by biggest tigers fan » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 9:38 pm

yep one of those games that happens to the tigers more often than not.Gutted to lose tonight after such a good first half and last 20 minutes
Number 1 souffs hater

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 9:49 pm

I think that frustrates us supporters is the way we lose. We lose matches we shouldnt and throw away more wins than any other team. If we were never in a position to win the loss wouldnt be as disappointing, but when you're dominating its frustrating.

There shouldnt be as much difference between our best and our worst from week to week, let alone minute to minute.

On a positive note, plenty to be excited about regarding our young forwards. BMM, Groat and Woods all good and Moors was too. BMM outstanding for mine. Against a tough forward pack too.

TigersFan4Life

Post by TigersFan4Life » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 10:18 pm

I told 'em before I left work that I wouldn't be that worried if we lost, but now I'm frustrated. Maybe if it had ended 22-12 I wouldn't be. But the fact they got so close to coming back and winning it makes it a frustrating loss.

We didn't really have any chances in the first half and were under pressure quite a few times, yet led 8-2 at the break. But they threw that advantage away with a woeful opening to the 2nd half. Then they came back and almost stole it. Oh, well.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 10:21 pm

Some harsh criticisms in this thread:

desparately unlucky penalty 30 seconds before half time
Gaz gets a knee and bad cork in first couple of minutes of second half
a couple of very dubious calls go against us....

And we are competing for the game - and go very close to pulling it off - in the last minute.

Not a bad night.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 10:25 pm

TigersFan4Life wrote:I told 'em before I left work that I wouldn't be that worried if we lost, but now I'm frustrated. Maybe if it had ended 22-12 I wouldn't be. But the fact they got so close to coming back and winning it makes it a frustrating loss.

We didn't really have any chances in the first half and were under pressure quite a few times, yet led 8-2 at the break. But they threw that advantage away with a woeful opening to the 2nd half. Then they came back and almost stole it. Oh, well.
Yes we led 8=2 . but it probably could have been 10-0 at halftime .i still cant work out why you take the two at 6-0 and you dont take the gift at 8-0 in the exact same spot .

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 10:34 pm

To only lose by only 4 points to the best team in the comp, by a country mile, is pretty good in my books. We had a few bad breaks at the start of the second half and we made a few silly errors, but we were competitive, against the reigning Premiers, throughtout the whole match. It's only round 2 - good times ahead :D
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:55 am

It is frustrating as a supporter to see the desperation and effort to come back from 14 points down, but not show that same intensity when 8 points ahead.

Every game we seem to have 4 quarters of footy - two of which are really good and two of which are ordinary. Depending on how good and how ordinary tends to predict the result. Last night we had one really good 20 and one very very poor one, which gave Manly all the points they needed to hang on and win.

If we can somehow find the discipline to have a consistent 80 minutes, with perhaps one really good quarter where we skip away, we'll be hard to beat. Until then, we as fans will be subject to games of amazing ebb and flow, heart-attack stuff for us but wonderful for TV. Due to our roster we will finish amongst the better half of teams, but without the consistency, aggression or discipline we will continue to "fall agonisingly short".

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 12:09 pm

jirskyr wrote:It is frustrating as a supporter to see the desperation and effort to come back from 14 points down, but not show that same intensity when 8 points ahead.
Spot on post jirskyr, especially this one for mine. We have such a good side, when you not only look at our roster, but see what the side can do in those patches when we actually play, it's incredibly frustrating.

I think at times, we're incredibly lazy, not wanting to do the hard stuff first. It's all attack attack attack, every set we must score off, we have too many indians with ability, but no real chief to take full control.

I don't know what's going on exactly, but I'm pretty damn sure our issues are strictly a mental thing.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 1:26 pm

We need to block the scoreboard....it controls our play

Thats a mental thing, something Sheens has been poor in

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 1:33 pm

maybe some players just don't learn....anyway we didn't play anywhere near our best and come within 4 points ...it was looking like it was going to be a touch up at one stage

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 1:46 pm

tiger4ever wrote:maybe some players just don't learn....anyway we didn't play anywhere near our best and come within 4 points ...it was looking like it was going to be a touch up at one stage

That's the only redeeming feature I guess, we quite obviously didn't play at our best, but came within 4 points of the premiers. Manly were good, they were very controlled, except for a very brief period in the first half where they lost the plot.

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 4:12 pm

We won 60 minutes of that game...not bad!
Shame the 20 minutes we loost was sooooooo bad.

KingOvKingz09

Post by KingOvKingz09 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 4:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:We need to block the scoreboard....it controls our play

Thats a mental thing, something Sheens has been poor in
Ditto.
Im back!! oh its true.... Its damn true!!!

The Gunning Eagle

Post by The Gunning Eagle » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 5:37 pm

Last nights game certainly was enjoyable. thought it was tough and exciting. Manly fell asleep for a a split second and the Tigers were right back in it, thats how dangerous they can be! I still think both teams are a massive threat and have the potential to go all the way. Cherry-Evans was fantastic, amazing young player. Definitely a future QLD prospect. Heated discussion happening on the Gunning Eagle.. should have your say.

http://www.thegunningeagle.blogspot.com ... mment-form

tiger pom

Post by tiger pom » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 6:49 am

still smarting from losing a game i felt we should have won but its no good being the best team for 55 minutes of the 80 if the other 25 cost you the game.however we wont be playing manly every week and there were enough positves to be optimistic for the season.