Telecast: Ch 9
willow

I can be Wests Tigers' No.1: Humble

Post by willow » Thu 15 Mar, 2012 9:03 pm

I can be Wests Tigers' No.1: Humble
Ian McCullough
March 15, 2012 - 2:39PM

AAP

Tom Humble maintains he's the answer to Wests Tigers' fullback issues as the joint-venture side looks to bounce back from last week's disappointing NRL display against Manly.

Tim Sheens' side take on St George Illawarra on Friday at Kogarah still bristling from their 22-18 defeat to the injury-hit premiers.

The well-fancied Tigers have looked anything but premiership favourites in their opening two matches.

They benefited from some poor refereeing and needed a field goal in golden point to seal the points against Cronulla in round one.

And the defeat by Manly followed a poor second-half performance where they conceded 20 unanswered points in just 18 minutes.

Despite having just six NRL appearances to his name at the start of the year, Sheens has been forced to name Humble as his starting fullback following the season-ending injury for James Tedesco and his decision to play Tim Moltzen at halfback after offloading Robert Lui to North Queensland.

Humble left Parramatta in the off-season after making just six appearances in two years in a variety of positions.

The 23-year-old Queenslander admits the injury to Tedesco, who ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament on debut against the Sharks, is not the ideal way to win a place in the team, but one he must take advantage of.

"You've go to take opportunities when they come," Humble said.

"The circumstances in how I got the spot are terrible. But I can't feel sorry for anyone otherwise that will lead to my demise."

Humble has been solid rather than spectacular in his first two games and knocked on in front of his own posts when under no pressure to gift-wrap Manly their first try at Gosford last Friday.

However, he insists he's still getting to grips with the Tigers' style and will improve with the more time he spends on the field.

"I'm still getting used to the way the Tigers play and at fullback it's the best spot to learn," he said.

"At Parra, I played at fullback, five-eighth, hooker, centre and a few off the bench.

"But at this stage of my career I need to lock myself into one spot and that is fullback."

A poor start to the second half may have cost the Tigers against Manly, but the Dragons were woeful for the full 80 minutes against Canterbury on Saturday.

The Bulldogs ran out comfortable 30-4 winners at ANZ Stadium and veteran utility Dean Young revealed the performance was so bad, coach Steve Price has binned the video tape of the match.

"Pricey has chucked it out and told us to move on," Young said.

"We're more worried about ourselves and our start than thinking about the Tigers.

"We were awful from the start against the Bulldogs and let everyone down."

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:20 pm

I can see him making that spot his....

He has been better than average in both games so far this year.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:26 pm

Not totally convinced about Humble Stryker What is everyone's thought on Kurtis Rowe ?? Only young but if you are good enough you are old enough

Stripes96
Location: Where the folks who know about frostiness stay frostiest the most

Post by Stripes96 » Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:59 pm

stryker wrote:I can see him making that spot his....

He has been better than average in both games so far this year.
Yes, I can see that too, but only for 2012. I'm hoping that the tigers long-term number 1 is Tedesco from 2013 onwards

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

necka69er

Post by necka69er » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 12:06 am

There is no doubt he is a talented player. Just needs a few more games under his belt and you watch him fire.

Tough shoes to fill with the promise of teddy being our best fullback since captain courageous.

He will go friggen awesome. Mark my words!

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

willow

Post by willow » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 10:57 am

happy tiger wrote:Not totally convinced about Humble Stryker What is everyone's thought on Kurtis Rowe ?? Only young but if you are good enough you are old enough
Reminds me of Tedesco in the way he plays, and I think these two will be pushing one another hard for the FG fullback spot next year. Unfortunately for Tedesco, Rowe gets his opportunity to shine all year in the NYC, and so far he looks the goods. Depending on injuries...it is not beyond the realms of possibility in seeing Rowe make his debut this year. I wouldn't expect it, but given the Tigers luck - or lack of, you never know.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 7:37 pm

less talking more walking
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

jas83

Post by jas83 » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 8:31 pm

Always out of position. Not giving up but don't think his a first grade fullback

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 9:50 am

I find it amazing that after all of the defence of Moltzen as a fullback last season that Humble plays solidly and is not good enough in somes eyes

willow

Post by willow » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 9:52 am

smeghead wrote:I find it amazing that after all of the defence of Moltzen as a fullback last season that Humble plays solidly and is not good enough in somes eyes
I didn't think he did much last night. His positioning at the back is poor from what I have seen so far. At least he doesn't flop the ball off to his winger each time he brings the ball back though.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:01 am

He was good. The thing that bugs me is that nobody is pushing up in support! How are we supposed to score tries! It seems like the Tigers have resorted to having one play to score. Spread it to Beau Ryan. If Tedesco was playing we'd have scored more tries mark my words.

Triumphant

Post by Triumphant » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:06 am

Is it just me or are they delibrately not passing to Humble? He seems to always be there in support ready for an offload but often gets cut out or blatently ignored by benji,moltz and farah. if you don't believe it, watch our play in the 25th minute. Tigers on attack, Benji runs the ball straight, Humble calls for the ball in a massive gap on Benjis right hand side only for Benji to look at him and decide to go to ground with it in an almost voluntary tackle. If you get a chance, watch the game and you'll see exactly what I mean. He only gets the ball on kick returns or when he takes over at dummy half.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:09 am

Well it certainly wouldn't be the first time it has happened

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:22 am

Why would they pass it to him What is he going to do ?
Reddy Humble Bell all reserve graders. Where has our cap gone.? Admin needs an overhaul.

Triumphant

Post by Triumphant » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:52 am

Irvine wrote:Why would they pass it to him What is he going to do ?
Reddy Humble Bell all reserve graders. Where has our cap gone.? Admin needs an overhaul.
what does that say for the rest of the team if Reddy topped the running metres and Humbles were up there despite the limited ball they gave him. Maybe you need to be in the starting side. You are a great judge of players but unfortunately stats don't lie. Our forwards let us down by not making metres and any ball that went to the backs was once again wasted by our so calked play makers. Always next week