Moltzen and Groat

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Friday 16 March 7:30PM
Venue: Jubilee
Telecast: Ch 9
tiger91

Re: Moltzen and Groat

Post by tiger91 » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 7:46 am

LCA wrote:Given Sheens' preference for Moltzen to be in the team, maybe he shoud do a direct swap with Tom Humble....Moltzen to fullback (where he was better late last year) and Humble to halfback (where he has some experience). Could give the dash and creativity at 7 that is so sorely lacking at the moment.

As for the forwrads?? I would love to know the win/loss ratio when Gareth Ellis doesn't play or comes off injured (not on bench rotation) through a game. His absence really seems to unsettle the forwards' combination and effectiveness. If there was anu positives, I thought BMM again looked like a strong running second rower of the future.

Our bench really prooved their worth last night, or the ones used anyways. I for one would be bringing Bell into the starting side and Groat back to the bench. Not that Groat played poor, but I think he offers more on the bench and Bell has the experience were lacking with the absence of Galloway.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 7:46 am

tiga4eva wrote:Groat doesnt have the motor for NRL at this point. His goal line defence is woeful. He cost us last week with King's try and he cost us 2 more tonight. not up to it at this time. Moors is up to it but he didnt get on til the 57th min. Sheenius!!!!!
. Can't disagree with that

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 7:52 am

tiger4ever wrote:i believe moltzen was our worst tonight...and that's saying something....seriously did anyone play one of their better games...we were terrible right across the park
. No Groat was our worst

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 8:23 am

Moltzen - the next Johnny Morris (or is that Cooper Cronk. I always get those 2 mixed up). Has none of the skills a halfback needs. At least I didn;t see him whinge at his teammates in last nights debacle.

Groat - will be good but needs time and development. And fitness. And some experience around him. And probably a week or two in lower grades if we had depth atm. Him, Woods, BMM and Moops would be lucky to have played 75 games between the lot of them.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

cusschops

Post by cusschops » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 8:34 am

Groat was terrible last night. I agree he might some day be an average first grader but right now he's getting dominated badly. Soon he will be found out and targeted by other NRL teams and we can't afford that. What about starting with Bell or Mores? At least bell is hardened to the top grade. I just wanted to cry watching the game last night. C'mon Tigers, next week!

rossop

Post by rossop » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 8:57 am

They both made me cringe last night. Groat is only just a bench player on last nights form. I agree he may well improve with age. Moltzen played bad as well but its the forwards that need to be shaken up so the backs can have an impact. I would be giving him a few more weeks at 7 before changing things. Before he did his knee he was playing very well at half and, last year, when he was playing badly at fullback most people on this forum were baying for his blood but he came good and played some excellent footy.

By the way last year, Moltzen, and the team in general, only came good when Ellis returned to the side. We need our forwards at full strength and going up the guts so our backs can do their thing. Its not Rocket Surgery, its been the same as long as I can remember.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 9:09 am

Sheens said Moltzen did not contribute to last nights loss....he'll be @#7 next week!

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 9:11 am

alexaki wrote:Sheens said Moltzen did not contribute to last nights loss....he'll be @#7 next week!
Sheens is semantically correct.
Moltzen did not contribute.
At all.
To anything.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:43 am

Moltzen is a fair weather player. Nothing more.

He looks great when Farah and Marshall are firing behind a pack in the contest. Other than that he goes missing.

Two examples

1. The Reddy try he almost single handedly butchered because he refused to engage the line before passing to Lawrence or cutting out to Reddy. We had to rely on a miracle ball from Lawrence which was forward for mine anyway. But its ok he didnt have to get touched by a defender so all is weet.

2. When he was moved back to fullback he left it for Liam Fulton to contest the bomb when he could have easily contested. But tis ok it isn't on his error sheet because he didnt contest it.

He creates nothing on his own, his kicking and passing games are terrible. He only does anything when running off Benji.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:51 am

He almost bombed the Reddy try Smeg your right. It was obvious he didn't want to pass the ball. As for Groat, Woods showed a ton more potential after the same amount of games

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:55 am

Smeg, spot on as usual.

Moltzen has never stood up and fired when we have been in an arm wrestle.

A luxury player who we can't afford to carry.

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:58 am

smeghead wrote:Moltzen is a fair weather player. Nothing more.

He looks great when Farah and Marshall are firing behind a pack in the contest. Other than that he goes missing.

Two examples

1. The Reddy try he almost single handedly butchered because he refused to engage the line before passing to Lawrence or cutting out to Reddy. We had to rely on a miracle ball from Lawrence which was forward for mine anyway. But its ok he didnt have to get touched by a defender so all is weet.

2. When he was moved back to fullback he left it for Liam Fulton to contest the bomb when he could have easily contested. But tis ok it isn't on his error sheet because he didnt contest it.

He creates nothing on his own, his kicking and passing games are terrible. He only does anything when running off Benji.
Agree he does not have the spine to play and put his body on the line in first grade, Union may suit him.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:59 am

smeghead wrote:Moltzen is a fair weather player. Nothing more.

Two examples

As you mentioned before smeg, when Benji and Farah were both concussed, bashed and smashed...Moltz had the chance to put his hand up, to say ''this is my time''....this on top of all the crap he and his manager have brought on the club with his contract debacle with saints.
He couldve put it all to bed once and for all with a tough, gutsy, lead the way type performance
He didnt.
He didnt even try to... 5 runs, 1 kick.... :|
He went missing, and they continue to laugh at us.

Chunk

Post by Chunk » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:11 am

I have never been a Moltzen fan and the jury is well and truley and out.

However he did play behind a beaten pack and deserves a few more chances.

Groat is a work in progress but looks like he will improve

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:15 am

I'll be definitley watching the progress of young Tedesco when he returns from the same injury, just so we can get a real indication of just what was Moltzen's problem last year

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:38 am

supercoach wrote:do you really think sheens is going to flick tim molten from the no7 role. He stuck with johnny morris for about a year. Iam afraid get used to it and it seems his main threat is miller and he seems to be on the nose with the man that counts. He may come good he is not a bad footballer but while he struggles the team struggles, it s that simple
Sheens preference was more about having Tedesco at fullback than having Moltzen at half. He let Moltzen go don't forget.
With the injury to Tedesco Humble has gone there but he is not a fullback his an organiser halfback.
We might see Humble and Moltzen swap positions I mean I hope we see them swap otherwise 2012 is over.

LaT

Post by LaT » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:42 am

Pre season everyone was all over Groat about how he wasn't good enough, after 2 rounds it was a struggle to find a negative post about him....now we are back to how bad he is.

Stop expecting the world from rookies and life will be much easier. Groat has more then shown he is a 1st grader, he doesn't deserve to be thrown under the bus by everyone each time he struggles to perform.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:51 am

Sorry LaT but he's never shown me anything. Say what you want about Fifita, he still had that x-factor that Groat doesn't. I remember after round 1 last year watching Woods, i thought to myself 'gee this kid has talent', and that was after one game. I've never had that with Groat. The only thing that sticks out in my mind with Groat are the costly errors he made in the Warriors final