Kickoff: Sunday 1 April 3:00PM
Venue: SCG
Telecast: Ch9 Delay
simonthetiger

Re: Marshall

Post by simonthetiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 12:48 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
simonthetiger wrote:
Lovemytigers wrote:You people are pathetic...
I'm done too....done with this bulls**t forum.

Benji was amazing and you lot are too busy boo hooing to realise how special he is.

Yeah we lost, so what.

Go "support" someone esle.

Well said.

There are some almighty pea hearts on here who have no idea how good we have it.
Oh yeah we have it real good atm don't we? having lost 4 on the trot and being on the bottom of the ladder and all :roll:
Speaking of pea heart,here's one right on cue.

And cheers knuckle.....this is a very good side that was ridiculously unlucky to lose a game we were supposed to get flogged in.

All is not lost.

Cysquatch

Post by Cysquatch » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 1:59 am

Benji is simply not that player. Why are people mentioning Lockyer? He is nothing like him and never has or will be. As simple as it is to say he should have worked it for a field goal, and I agree with that, but, what can you say, Marshall just isn't that type of player.

He has played enough games now and he hasn't changed his style so you have to accept and move on cause he ain't gonna change his ways. The frustration and the genius- that's B.Marshall. Come to terms with it

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
by Novocastrian Tiger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 pm
Is it just me, or do alot of posts on this forum end up being like a pee pee measuring contest?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 3:39 am

willow wrote:Good question Hybrid, although I'm not sure anyone has an answer. Benji has often said he plays what he sees in front him, but I'm buggered if I can work out what he was thinking with those 2 plays.

God help us against the Broncos next week.
Benji has the answer Remember last season when he tried to go wide when we lead by two and almost got intercepted

What did Benji say "Might as well win by 8 than by 2"

He should never have gone wide Play out the six and set for the one

13 point lead We Win

rossop

Post by rossop » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 6:57 am

Yes he is a great player most of the time. Apart from the really dumb things he does his short kicking game is very ordinary.

TJL0811

Post by TJL0811 » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 7:39 am

Let's not forget Benji had a part in all 3 tries today

rossop

Post by rossop » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 8:13 am

TJL0811 wrote:Let's not forget Benji had a part in all 3 tries today

True he is a great player as I stated earlier. The thing is: he goes for the throat all the time. Dumb to not play for the field goal and not run his winger into touch on the first tackle. This attitude goes back years. Its like a little kid who just wont learn.

His short kicking game is just woeful and has been for many years. A few times in the first half his kicks to the ingoal were way too strong. Is there no one in the side who can do better?

tigertales

Post by tigertales » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 8:20 am

Going for the throat sometimes means playing a controlled set and getting a repeat set or going for a field goal when you are in front of the sticks and 12 up. I figure if 10 000+ Tiger supporters at the ground and another couple of hundred thousand at home are all thinking drop goal Benji drop goal then surely the supposed 'best player in the world' should be thinking the same thing.

Its ok to say he had a hand in three tries today, but so what, he also had a major hand in losing us the game as well. Running Ryan into the crowd on tackle 1. Chip and chase from inside our 10 on the buzzer, major dumb play, we had 3 blokes in front of the kicker and with the refs going the way they were they could have pinged any one of them and given Souths a penalty right in front after the buzzer - major dumb play. First set of 6 in golden point - 3 passes to ground, he should have taken control without Farah on the park - major dumb play.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 8:28 am

There is a very simple solution to this problem.
If we are that far in front with only 5 or 10 minutes to go- TAKE HIM OFF.
He is all about trying to score and nothing else - if Sheens has any sense he wouldn replace him.
If he thought it would hurt his ego he could tell him he didn't want him getting hurt :roll:

rossop

Post by rossop » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 8:41 am

cktiger wrote:There is a very simple solution to this problem.
He is all about trying to score and nothing else - if Sheens has any sense he wouldn replace him.
If he thought it would hurt his ego he could tell him he didn't want him getting hurt :roll:
Not a bad idea

Merlot Tiger

Post by Merlot Tiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 8:58 am

His best game this year, and will get better now with Farrah back on board and Humble showing he can be a genuine No.7 for the rest of the year. Some ordinary kicks from Marshall however but that's what happens when his involvement rate is extremely high. There were many calls on this forum during the week for Marshall to handle the ball more often in each set and he did just that so of course there are going to be some errors. The only thing that lost us this game were 2, yes 2 dummy half tries. That's it, nothing else not dumb kicks, or passes that put a winger out, just 2 very soft, lazy tries from the dummy half. The tigers looked sharpe, Marshall was on fire, every player stepped it up a notch, scambling, running angles, 40/20 kicks, regaining from a line drop out, tackling with controlled aggression only to lose a game with 2 dumb inept moments. I think with Farrah back next week, an aggressive confident halfback in Humble who can also throw a long pass and Blair taking on more of a workman role rather than a flashy ball player, we will beat the Broncos.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 9:07 am

Tigerdave wrote:
glebe_tiger wrote:as much as i'm against anasta coming to us next year, him in the 7 today would of wrapped that up for us.

I certainly think he would have been calling for a field goal when we were at the Bunnies line at 16-4
Agree. That bonehead play on the first tackle off the scrum cost us. I love Benji and he largely engineered the tries we scored on Sunday, but he also cost us this time.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 10:14 am

Merlot Tiger wrote:His best game this year, and will get better now with Farrah back on board and Humble showing he can be a genuine No.7 for the rest of the year. Some ordinary kicks from Marshall however but that's what happens when his involvement rate is extremely high. There were many calls on this forum during the week for Marshall to handle the ball more often in each set and he did just that so of course there are going to be some errors. The only thing that lost us this game were 2, yes 2 dummy half tries. That's it, nothing else not dumb kicks, or passes that put a winger out, just 2 very soft, lazy tries from the dummy half. The tigers looked sharpe, Marshall was on fire, every player stepped it up a notch, scambling, running angles, 40/20 kicks, regaining from a line drop out, tackling with controlled aggression only to lose a game with 2 dumb inept moments. I think with Farrah back next week, an aggressive confident halfback in Humble who can also throw a long pass and Blair taking on more of a workman role rather than a flashy ball player, we will beat the Broncos.
x^2

tigertales

Post by tigertales » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 10:20 am

If you are talking about NYC footy where defence doesnt matter and its all about scoring points then fine, those two dummy half tries lost us the game. However when you are talking about First Grade NRL footy and closing out a game is integral well Marshall's error putting Beau over the sideline lost us that game - no question. We set up for a field goal or get a repeat set we win, simple.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 10:58 am

I think Benji deserves the criticism, but it isn't just him, it is a whole team type thing. As a team we don't really know how to close out a match.

The real disappointment with that last set is that Benji had an opportunity to halt the play once it broke down. He clearly stops his stride and his runners slow down. But instead of taking the tackle he jinks right again and flicks to Beau, who had no option but to go for it.

I know it is what we do etc. but you don't make those plays with 7 to go. Sure go nuts and do it earlier in the game, but when you are up at the end, you lock the game up.

But like I said it isn't just him, it is a weakness of the team. Farah puts a deep kick in vs Warriors 2011 and we probably win. Benji doesn't kick out on the full 2010 and Saints don't get to set for a FG.

Small unprofessional things that no amount of flair or fancy footwook can undo.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 11:08 am

cktiger wrote:There is a very simple solution to this problem.
I like it... Although, with no Farah yesterday, You leave him out there.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 11:25 am

jirskyr wrote:I think Benji deserves the criticism, but it isn't just him, it is a whole team type thing. As a team we don't really know how to close out a match.

The real disappointment with that last set is that Benji had an opportunity to halt the play once it broke down. He clearly stops his stride and his runners slow down. But instead of taking the tackle he jinks right again and flicks to Beau, who had no option but to go for it.

I know it is what we do etc. but you don't make those plays with 7 to go. Sure go nuts and do it earlier in the game, but when you are up at the end, you lock the game up.

But like I said it isn't just him, it is a weakness of the team. Farah puts a deep kick in vs Warriors 2011 and we probably win. Benji doesn't kick out on the full 2010 and Saints don't get to set for a FG.

Small unprofessional things that no amount of flair or fancy footwook can undo.
Either it's not Coached into them or they don't listen, either way time and again it's ridiculous.

Chunky love machine

Post by Chunky love machine » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 11:50 am

cnx_tigers wrote:Benji just will never, ever, ever, ever learn mate.

He's been great............but his mistakes have ended our past two seasons.

He just never, ever, ever closes out a game using ANY football brain at all.

We desperately need a strong half to tell him to get the hell away from the ball when the game is near an end and let the 7 take over. Benji is brilliant, but his 'common sense' footy IQ is borderline moronic.
No chance! I seem to remember Tim Moltzen putting a premature end to our finals drive last year.

rossop

Post by rossop » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 12:06 pm

Chunky love machine wrote:
cnx_tigers wrote:Benji just will never, ever, ever, ever learn mate.

He's been great............but his mistakes have ended our past two seasons.

He just never, ever, ever closes out a game using ANY football brain at all.

We desperately need a strong half to tell him to get the hell away from the ball when the game is near an end and let the 7 take over. Benji is brilliant, but his 'common sense' footy IQ is borderline moronic.
No chance! I seem to remember Tim Moltzen putting a premature end to our finals drive last year.
You must have been watching another game than I was last year. The Warriors should have NEVER got anywhere near our line. Who got caught on the last tackle instead of kicking to the corner and closing out the game? :crazy