Discipline our biggest issue

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Sunday 1 April 3:00PM
Venue: SCG
Telecast: Ch9 Delay
Goose

Discipline our biggest issue

Post by Goose » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 7:06 pm

I reckon our biggest problem right now is our discipline, we are giving away so many penalties! I think at times we have been a fraction unlucky, but there is no doubt that are giving away too many penalties and it is punishing.

I reckon if you give away alot of penalties you also lose the benefit of the doubt on the 50/50's.

Lawrence is one of our worst offenders, given that he has been so discplined in the past it is a concern.

Woods, is another one with a problem in this area, he needs to work on this alot.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 7:08 pm

Completely agree. Terrible discipline and poor focus at key times.

Look at Luke's second try as well.

The issue is Woods aside these are all coming from senior players. Not good enough.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

hellman

Post by hellman » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 7:09 pm

It is a big issue. Lawrence also seems to drop a ball a game in our own half for no reason.

Still I though we were dudded with regards to some of those penalties out there today. We had 3 go against us in a row at one stage and I am unsure if any of them were deserved.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 7:13 pm

I think our biggest problem is a mental one. We're the mentally weakest team in the comp. We cant close a match out. Same thing in 2010 (Semi vs Roosters), 2011 (semi vs Warriors) and 2012. The problem now is we're not a good enough team to be able to throw these matches away.

Huge improvement in defence and effort though. Shame it counts for nothing this week.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 7:49 pm

You guys are deranged.

We had at least three penalties go against us today for no reason whatsoever. Every week it is the same thing; a ball comes loose and the clowns blow a penalty. Those guys must be gutted to lose a game like that. The biggest joke of all is that Souths have done that to us in exactly the same way before.

tigertales

Post by tigertales » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 7:53 pm

we got penalised on 4 occasions for Souths having poor handling which led directly to two tries. Still we were dumb out there today.

izotope

Post by izotope » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 7:55 pm

discipline more then this game. the worse thing is so many of our penalties come on the 4th. Sheens really needs to kick Lawrence and other repeat offenders in the ass.

No need to wrestle and try to get every second when there trapped in their own half on the 4th.. drives me mad.
tigers!

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 8:00 pm

PYMBLEPETE wrote:You guys are deranged.

We had at least three penalties go against us today for no reason whatsoever. Every week it is the same thing; a ball comes loose and the clowns blow a penalty. Those guys must be gutted to lose a game like that. The biggest joke of all is that Souths have done that to us in exactly the same way before.
And we are deranged, gee thats funny.
But imo our discipline is shot because we cannot control the ruck ,so we will then try anything to slow it down . you cant get penalised for a strip if you havent got your hands all over the ball.
Wests under Sheens have always found it hard to slow the play the ball down and thats where our problem lies .
Deranged , well you said it yourself,Souths have done that to us exactly the same way before .

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 8:02 pm

izotope wrote:discipline more then this game. the worse thing is so many of our penalties come on the 4th. Sheens really needs to kick Lawrence and other repeat offenders in the ass.

No need to wrestle and try to get every second when there trapped in their own half on the 4th.. drives me mad.
Well said izzy.
4th tackle on their 40 and a stupid dumb player lies all over them .

Triumphant

Post by Triumphant » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 8:04 pm

It was only our poor discipline that cost us. How many penalties did we give away for stripping the ball. Im sure all their tries were on the back of stupid piggy back penalties.

Other than that I really liked the way we played, Players playing in their actual positions. Moltzen was much better at fullback and Humble looked good at halfback. Disappointing loss. Hopefully we improve our discipline for next week

Goose

Post by Goose » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 8:09 pm

1/4 chicken,chips wrote:
PYMBLEPETE wrote:You guys are deranged.

And we are deranged, gee thats funny.
But imo our discipline is shot because we cannot control the ruck ,so we will then try anything to slow it down . you cant get penalised for a strip if you havent got your hands all over the ball.
Wests under Sheens have always found it hard to slow the play the ball down and thats where our problem lies .
Deranged , well you said it yourself,Souths have done that to us exactly the same way before .
At times we give penalties away cause we are shot to bits and hanging on for grim life, but today we gave most penalties away when we were on the front foot, and often late in the tackle count.

as i said we were unlucky at times with some calls, but there were still far too many dumb easy ones.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 11:15 am

1/4 chicken,chips wrote:
izotope wrote:discipline more then this game. the worse thing is so many of our penalties come on the 4th. Sheens really needs to kick Lawrence and other repeat offenders in the ass.

Well said izzy.
4th tackle on their 40 and a stupid dumb player lies all over them .
I'd love to see the stats for when we concede penalties. You are both right, they seem to always be near the end of the set.

Souths kept getting penalties 30-40m from their own line, essentially 10 straight tackles.

It all began against Manly, Woods and Grobot giving away dumb penalties. Grobot especially with a 5th tackle special.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 11:26 am

I think it is a combination of discipline combined with reff perceptions.

We have always had an issue of being perceived as small and as such even when Ellis smashes someone the calls for movement from the tacklers are always premature, same with all of our side.

The amount of time they were allowed to lay on Bell, make second efforts to the ball to slow down the PTB was outrageous.

Secondly I always saw the one downside of Blair being the penalty situation. Every time a forward leaves the Storm they and the team they go to get caned with penalties in the first few months.

Finally the discipline issue repeating the same errors with penalties and the choice of when to do it. I would rather backpedal in their half to not march them downfield but close to our line when it is a choice of them scoring a try or giving a penalty smash them and cop the penalty

boonboon

Post by boonboon » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 12:08 pm

I think it's clearly an issue this year as we have been up their with the broncos as the least penalized sides the last 2 years so to be the most penalized and receive the second least in the first 5 weeks is very strange

I have put together some individual stats for our players based on the first 5 games and looked at involvements -which I have classed as tackles or runs divided by penalties conceded -obviously this isn't perfect as you can be offside etc without being involved but I think it. Represents a fair indication

I also looked at total penalties conceded
Blair-6
Woods -4
Highno-4
Ayshford -3
Humble -3
Lots of others on 2and 1 with impressively bunji reddy being the only too play more then 1game and not register a penalty against

Involvements per penalty - lowest is worst min 2 games
Humble -24
Meaney -25
Blair-30
Utai-31
Ayshford-39
Ryan-48
Highno-53
Woods-56
Bell-60
Lawrence-69
Ellis-70