Benji's history of crucial errors

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Sunday 1 April 3:00PM
Venue: SCG
Telecast: Ch9 Delay
Snake

Re: Benji's history of crucial errors

Post by Snake » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 4:54 pm

No Benji this team gets the spoon.. history of critical errors sure thing ,probable the most frustrating player in a team that I have supported and shear magic to watch .I am just enjoying the Benji ride as I doubt I will see someone like him in my life time the good the bad the ugly all in one!

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 4:55 pm

simonthetiger wrote:I remember Bunji winning us a lot more games than the ones he has lost.
Absolutely.

But he has got a bad record of failing when it 'really' counts. I.e. a GF spot on the line / must win games.

He's won us a tonne of "shark park on a sunday" or "canberra at LO " type games.

But those "play this right and we can make the GF " or "play this right and we are through to next week's final" type games he has a bad record. That's not disputable. For a player of his talent, his record in the really big games (aside from 05 with Prince leading us) is not flash. There's no real way to sugar coat it.

As i said, the next 24 months will write his legacy. If he wins three comps or makes three grand finals, NO ONE will remember or care about this stuff.

If he retires at 32 with one premiership and no other GF appearances, history will judge him harshly IMO.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:06 pm

Pffft....how many of these big games has he failed us?
One or two.
s***....hes human.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:15 pm

Give me Lockyer any day of the week..!!!
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

saundo1982

Post by saundo1982 » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:16 pm

Black & Gold wrote:
saundo1982 wrote:Mmm do we care to remember that play in 05, u no the one were he fields a thurston kick, beats a few tacklers before taking off down field to pull out one of the most spectacular grand final passes of all times to that bloke oh yes pat Richards who pushes of tacklers to score, now there's a turning point!!

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

You're the type of person that will just vote Labor again and again and again because they did something worthwhile 37 years ago and hold onto that memory and continually justify their actions of today because of that.

That moment was 7 years ago and if you think that justifies multiple errors that cost us games for the rest of his career, you are waaaaaay to easily satisfied and don't have the required goals and high expectations that is needed to win a comp! As supporters we should demand the best from our players that includes complimenting on a job well done and being constructively critical when they let us down due to stupid things. Im not talking about mistakes like drop balls, forward passes etc. Players don't mean to do those things. They're human and it happens...Im talking about bonehead decisions....for example........ trying to run around a wingers or running to the sideline with only a metre to work with in the rain only to get bundled into touch......Chris Lawrence!
Mate look at my name no idea what labour did 37 yrs ago. There are thirteen blokes on field some more senior then benji are they not allowed to stand up say hey benj, field goal brother I'm sure the outside backs knew on Sunday benji was running the ball. So well just forget about all the great things he's done and true to this forum concentrate on all the negatives. It's time for benji to take break and let the others have crack see how we go. We won't have worry about a field goal cause if wasn't there molten and lite both done have the tries that we're scored.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:19 pm

innsaneink wrote:Pffft....how many of these big games has he failed us?
One or two.
s***....hes human.
It depends on who we want to judge him against career wise. Sterlo, Lockyer etc? I.e legit greats who got their teams to multiple premierships.

Or guys like Scot Gale, Phil Blake etc. Really good players who could do stuff no one else could, but never really could carry a team to a premiership on their back.

If Benji retires with 1 grand final appearance in a 12 year career...........it's going to be an underachievement no matter how you and others want to view it Ink.

If he retires with 3 premierships, he's an immortal IMO.

This season's roster is capable of winning the comp. So was last seasons. It's been set up for him to carry a team to win it all if he's good enough the past 12 months.

underdog

Post by underdog » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:22 pm

Lets say Benji Marshall never existed for arguments sake, and the rest of the team remained the same.

We'd be looking down the barrel of our 12th year in existence, and our 12th year without a finals birth, no Grand final win in 2005.

rossop

Post by rossop » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:24 pm

Snake wrote:No Benji this team gets the spoon.. history of critical errors sure thing ,probable the most frustrating player in a team that I have supported and shear magic to watch .I am just enjoying the Benji ride as I doubt I will see someone like him in my life time the good the bad the ugly all in one!
Right on Snake...Anyway the topic has been done to death in the Marshall Thread. No use dwelling on the subject.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:31 pm

underdog wrote:Lets say Benji Marshall never existed for arguments sake, and the rest of the team remained the same.

We'd be looking down the barrel of our 12th year in existence, and our 12th year without a finals birth, no Grand final win in 2005.
That's just crazy talk Underdog We all know that Fitzy would now be the world's greatest player if Benji wasn't here

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:34 pm

underdog wrote:Lets say Benji Marshall never existed for arguments sake, and the rest of the team remained the same.

Benji pulled off a brilliant flick pass in the 2005 GF, but be no means was he the reason we won the title!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:35 pm

Kind of redundant hypothetical because you neglect the salary cap etc.

Let's imagine Benji and Robbie never existed...............and in their places, with the EXACT same roster, we had Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith.

We'd have made the semis every year IMO and likely won 2 to 3 comps.

I am NOT criticing Benji or Robbie. What I am doing is judging them against other elite players. When you do that, they don't really compare overly well at the moment.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:43 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:
One or two.
s***....hes human.
It depends on who we want to judge him against career wise. Sterlo, Lockyer etc? I.e legit greats who got their teams to multiple premierships.

Or guys like Scot Gale, Phil Blake etc. Really good players who could do stuff no one else could, but never really could carry a team to a premiership on their back.

If Benji retires with 1 grand final appearance in a 12 year career...........it's going to be an underachievement no matter how you and others want to view it Ink.

If he retires with 3 premierships, he's an immortal IMO.

This season's roster is capable of winning the comp. So was last seasons. It's been set up for him to carry a team to win it all if he's good enough the past 12 months.
Nicely sidestepped the question.

I dont care for comparisons, Im only talking benji.
Dont compare him to other layers, compare him in the BIG games youre talking about to all of his games for us...
How many games?

Not very many....not like youre making out anyway

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:[quote="cnx_tigers"
Dont compare him to other layers, compare him in the BIG games youre talking about to all of his games for us...
How many games?

Not very many....not like youre making out anyway
Okay then, let's see. Looking at the really big games (finals)

2005 = Legendary run. Came up with big play after big play. 20 years old...future immortal?

Roosters semi = we lost. Carney outplayed him.
Raiders semi = great game.
Dragons GF qualifier = Benji kicks out on the full at 'the' crucial moment. His opposite 6, Soward wins the game.

Dragons semi 2011 = good game.
Warriors semi 2011 = overall average game, includes error (running on the 6th with 3 to go) that costs us the game (shared blame with Robbie). Outplayed by a kid in Johnson.

Other seasons = missed the finals.

Apart from 2005, that's not a great record for a "world's best / elite player / superstar" however you want to look at it mate. He needs to do it more in september / october when it really counts.

If we fail to make the finals this season, it's a disaster given how good the roster is.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 6:07 pm

You have left out a couple of internationals he pretty much won single handedly.

hellman

Post by hellman » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 6:07 pm

cktiger wrote:Imagine a driver so good he leads the Indianapolis 500 for 499 miles every year then runs out of petrol before the finish line .
EVERY YEAR.
You think he might realise that apart from being better than everyone else that he was missing something to get him over the line.
Or maybe not.....
There is something to this. I'd add Farah has been exactly the same.

Crucial errors at crucial times from both of them have killed us. They won't ever be great players unless they bring us home in big games. I actually think that this is more so for Benji because he is some player.
bigsiro wrote:Agree. That bonehead play on the first tackle off the scrum cost us. I love Benji and he largely engineered the tries we scored on Sunday, but he also cost us this time.
I love Benji but he shouldn't have made that play. He basically played an unbelievable game but he put in more than one poor kick and then that play at a crucial time.

hellman

Post by hellman » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 6:09 pm

One or two.
s***....hes human.
Yep. He hasn't failed us to many times has he. I'm pretty over that mistake on the weekend. I hope he learns from it though.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 6:10 pm

it easy for us to point out his errors.

some plays are rocks, some are diamonds.
that what comes with him.
whilst we may not like this, its Benj
personally i am glad HE IS AT WESTS-TIGERS. :sign:
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

LCA

Post by LCA » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 6:35 pm

I would rather have Benji with us than against us. But, he showed how brilliant he is for much of that game yesterday anyway. Why did he have to make that play from the scrum on the 20m line so close to the Souths line and so close to the end of the game? There is no doubt in my mind it cost us the game. And, I imagine others in the squad would know it too. The bigger fall out from it will be if he went into the sheds and DIDN'T accept his role in that crucial piece of decsion making that got the Bunnies back in the contest. I don't know him at all nor do i have any knowldge of what transpires in the sheds after game time, but he should have walked in there and apologised to his team mates for a major stuff up. And, he was the captain!!! It compounds the error in my mind.