Benji's history of crucial errors

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Sunday 1 April 3:00PM
Venue: SCG
Telecast: Ch9 Delay
InBenjiWeTrust

Re: Benji's history of crucial errors

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 2:41 pm

Black & Gold wrote: I call some of you 'yes men' because you dont have the capacity to develop an opinion of your own. You would rather agree with what decisions the club makes because you think you're a 'true supporter' or defend a player simply because he plays for the club. Let me tell you something. CEO's and players will come and go! Fans wont! We'll support the club and players in good times and ask questions in the bad times. Yes, we will support them during the bad times as well but not for stupid decisions. I wouldnt supported the decision had they signed Mason. Most of you would have because you dont know any better.
You missed my point, what I said is, I have and cannot have any issue with anyone expressing their opinion, at the end, this is the forum where fans discuss different opinions and their views on the game. There will always be positive and negative comments, and it shall be like that. I welcome booth, otherwise, this forum becomes very artificial and presents only single point of view. Imagine that everyone expresses only positive or only negative opinions – and happily we are not in ex USSR or N Korea etc.

However, some people on this forum are very sensitive, and when they do not agree with something, they perceive it as an attack on them and reply by attacking/ridiculing the fan for expressing her/his opinion.

By all means say what you want about the game, Humphreys, Sheens etc. I have no issues with that.
What I do not like is when someone plays the man and not the ball
Black & Gold wrote: Questioning things in the hope of making things better is a good thing. Thats why you have an opposition to the government. It keeps people on their toes. If we dont make an issue of Benji making a meal of a game after its practically won, then how will he get better at closing it off next time?
x2
Black & Gold wrote: We've acknowledged that Benji does a lot of good and wins us games. He's a supernatural freak of nature when he gets into his element but we dont need his element with 7 minutes to go in a game when we're up by 12 points. We have to get a microscope, find his brain and force him to use it to grind out the voctory. Whats the point of Benji brilliance of setting up 5 tries if it means his silly decisions at the end will lose us the game?
x2

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 3:10 pm

Whenever their is a thread critical of Marshall all hell breaks loose!
Sometimes I think there are more than a few people on here who are Benji Marshall supporters before they are Tiger supporters.
Great players have come and gone before him from both Balmain and Wests.
Great players will come after him at WestsTigers.
He will rightly be considered one of the best but he's far from perfect.
He's our current playmaker and star - some people want to make him even more than that.
We all know he's made some terrible choices - but I'm like a few others and believe Sheens should have coached how to close a game into him.
Just send out a word or two - slow it down Benji , close it out....think of the team

hellman

Post by hellman » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 3:26 pm

cktiger wrote:Just send out a word or two - slow it down Benji , close it out....think of the team
I love Benji and it wasn't his fault we lost against Souths. I also think he really hasn't cost us with a whole bunch of crucial errors as per this thread.

In saying that he didn't bring us home against Souths and I think he should have contributed more at the end of the game.

Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tigerdave » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 11:18 pm

cktiger wrote: Just send out a word or two - slow it down Benji , close it out....think of the team
That's pretty much what needs to happen and Robbie is similar as well, which is why I think they've gone for Anasta.

Tiger_Terrific

Post by Tiger_Terrific » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 8:39 am

cnx_tigers wrote:
innsaneink wrote:[quote="cnx_tigers"
Dont compare him to other layers, compare him in the BIG games youre talking about to all of his games for us...
How many games?

Not very many....not like youre making out anyway
Okay then, let's see. Looking at the really big games (finals)

2005 = Legendary run. Came up with big play after big play. 20 years old...future immortal?

Roosters semi = we lost. Carney outplayed him.
Raiders semi = great game.
Dragons GF qualifier = Benji kicks out on the full at 'the' crucial moment. His opposite 6, Soward wins the game.

Dragons semi 2011 = good game.
Warriors semi 2011 = overall average game, includes error (running on the 6th with 3 to go) that costs us the game (shared blame with Robbie). Outplayed by a kid in Johnson.

Other seasons = missed the finals.

Apart from 2005, that's not a great record for a "world's best / elite player / superstar" however you want to look at it mate. He needs to do it more in september / october when it really counts.

If we fail to make the finals this season, it's a disaster given how good the roster is.
Your logic seems to be - if we lose Benji was outplayed. But take the Roosters and Raiders matches for example. From my memory, they played out similarly - both times the opposition staged a late comeback after we were well ahead. Yet in the Roosters game we messed up the scrum and they kicked a FG, in the Raiders game Croker missed the penalty. Small, crucial moments - which had nothing to do with Benji - and yet had each gone the other way, would you still be saying he was outplayed by Carney (really? I don't remember it that way at all. Plus he wasn't even on the field during the Roosters' comeback) and had a great game v Canberra?

No question we needed Benji to go for a FG on Sunday and he didn't, and we do need him to put away the miracle plays at times like that. But to suggest that each time we lose in big games Benji has been outplayed by his opposition number is way too simplistic.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 9:15 am

cktiger wrote:Whenever their is a thread critical of Marshall all hell breaks loose!
Sometimes I think there are more than a few people on here who are Benji Marshall supporters before they are Tiger supporters.
Great players have come and gone before him from both Balmain and Wests.
Great players will come after him at WestsTigers.
He will rightly be considered one of the best but he's far from perfect.
He's our current playmaker and star - some people want to make him even more than that.
We all know he's made some terrible choices - but I'm like a few others and believe Sheens should have coached how to close a game into him.
Just send out a word or two - slow it down Benji , close it out....think of the team
Yeah I'm amazed at the fact when these crucial plays appear IE the scrum in 2010 v Roosters , the scrum teh other day Jumper isn't there having a quick word to either Benji or Robbie passing messages on from Tim about playing sound ,high percentage football in these situations

barra

Post by barra » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 9:26 am

Yes, the word needs to come from the coach to get these playmakers' minds where they should be. After over an hour of trying their guts out and fatigue setting in, they need to be reminded to take the smart option, the percentage play, to not be too cute or look for another feather for their cap. When in this moment sometimes it is not easy to think clearly or in Benji's case just get a bit carried away when the adrenalin is flowing.

At their age Robbie and Benji should both be capable of this on their own but apparently not, and while Anasta will be there next year but for the rest of 2012 please remind them!!!

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 9:39 am

Good to see the DT using some Forum Posts for their story today on Benji... Hopefully with Matty Johns vs Farah still in the headlines and the DT questioning Benji, both Farah & Benji have blinders tomorrow night!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 9:47 am

Tiger Watto wrote:Good to see the DT using some Forum Posts for their story today on Benji... Hopefully with Matty Johns vs Farah still in the headlines and the DT questioning Benji, both Farah & Benji have blinders tomorrow night!
:lol: I thought that too ,Watto.
Looks like he constructed the story from the comments on here.
Am surprised nobody has posted the article on the forum yet.

Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 12:57 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:Good to see the DT using some Forum Posts for their story today on Benji... Hopefully with Matty Johns vs Farah still in the headlines and the DT questioning Benji, both Farah & Benji have blinders tomorrow night!

I saw that in the paper too and I reckon they owe me some commission payments!

At least they understand what my point is............cant say the same for some of the 'yes men' in this forum.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 1:01 pm

Black & Gold wrote:

I saw that in the paper too and I reckon they owe me some commission payments!

At least they understand what my point is............cant say the same for some of the 'yes men' in this forum.
B&G Agreeing with what the DT isn't necessarily a good thing

If the DT and I had the same opinion I would be checking my water bottle to see if the wife had spiked it .......
Last edited by happy tiger on Thu 05 Apr, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 1:02 pm

Paul Crawley from the DT should have at least mentioned that he saw the debate on this forum and said this "Black & Gold" blogger wrote it. I feel dudded! lololol

Nah all good....Just strengthens my view that, I SHOULD RUN THE CLUB! Humphreys go away!

everett

Post by everett » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 1:34 pm

I always love the passion in these threads.

I am a West Tigers fan not matter who wears our jersey.

I am priliviaged to watch a very talented player like Marshall who a rare few Phil Blake, Scott Gale, Billy Slater etc have abilities and skills that few players every have and put bums on seats.

The bonus is he plays for the team I love so a get to watch him more than if he played for another team.

I think Marshall has been penalised for not having a decent half back since Prince left us in 2006. fault of management.

For all his brillance and incredible skills which were on display against Souths it does disappoint me that Marshall always looks for the 1% plays. If we had Prince or Cronk in the side they would have helped us close out the game by either a field goal or trying to get a repeat set of six.

Marshall will go down as a great player and maybe even be considered as an Imortal (if Kiwis are included). How many kids inspire to be Marshall plenty.

I wonder what Marshall would think of his career if he retires with only one premiership.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership