Thu 22 Nov, 2018 8:47 am
Dan Blanco wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:01 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:09 am
Dan Blanco wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 12:11 am
Serbian
I used to love the Serbian "chess" cafe at Cabramatta - one of my favourite hide outs in Sydney. Bet $300 a game and even riots sometimes. Their rugby league team lost to Filipino team a few years back - was a great game by the Pinoys.
Good times BFF. Love the chess cafes. Cabramatta was plagued with crime in the 90's unfortunately (see 5T, Paul Newman, heroin, Serbian/Vietnamese gangs). Times are changing though, and by all accounts, Cabramatta is enjoying a revival due to a clean-up of the area and hipster culinary reviews..

Love my Filos. Delightful people.
Cabra and Canley have magnificent food. Still make the drive every now and then
I have a Chinese/Cambodian friend who lives at Canley, he introduced me to food scene at Cabra and my appreciation for South East Asian food is a lot better than it used to be. Still not really fond of Chinese, but very much like Thai/Laotian/Cambodian food as a result. Good eats there for those sorts of cuisines.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

joelw2002

Post by joelw2002 » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 12:29 am

Australian born, mum's parents migrated from Croatia and Slovenia during World War 2, dad's parents migrated from Poland during World War 2 as well.
President of the Mahe Fonua Fan Club

Mahe Fonua Fan Club Members:

upthetigers. happy tiger. NT Tiger. WestsBenTigers. Masterton. westy81. Tiger Steve. Donald Trump. The Patriot. TigerTiger. TopTiger. Earl. JB58. Magpie Magic. Wildcat777. wt01. TheDaBoss.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 7:04 am

joelw2002 wrote:
Sat 24 Nov, 2018 12:29 am
Australian born, mum's parents migrated from Croatia and Slovenia during World War 2, dad's parents migrated from Poland during World War 2 as well.
Are you particularly close to any of those ethnic groups or you are Oz? Do both sides oldies get together much? any chess players amongst them?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

joelw2002

Post by joelw2002 » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 4:20 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 24 Nov, 2018 7:04 am
joelw2002 wrote:
Are you particularly close to any of those ethnic groups or you are Oz? Do both sides oldies get together much? any chess players amongst them?
My dad's the only one left on his side out of his parents and his siblings, he can't even speak Polish, my uncle could when he was younger but unfortunately forgot all of it and passed away recently. All of my aunties on my mum's side can speak Croatian and they get together with some of their Serbian and Croatian friends from child hood every now and then. But apart from that I'm not too deep into the backgrounds, I'm mostly Aussie, I've only been to that Croatian club King Toms a few times and I was there for the world cup final and everyone was singing Croatian songs and I didn't understand any of it. :lol: I would like to learn either Polish or Croatian but I can't decide because I feel like it will be too hard to learn 2 languages.
President of the Mahe Fonua Fan Club

Mahe Fonua Fan Club Members:

upthetigers. happy tiger. NT Tiger. WestsBenTigers. Masterton. westy81. Tiger Steve. Donald Trump. The Patriot. TigerTiger. TopTiger. Earl. JB58. Magpie Magic. Wildcat777. wt01. TheDaBoss.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 8:15 pm

thanks, it is good that the Croats and Serbs are still friendly.

I have Lebo background and nothing is more heartening than traditional Lebo songs passed down even if we didn't understand all the words. My relos are too religious for me to mix much.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 9:33 pm

joelw2002 wrote:
Sat 24 Nov, 2018 4:20 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 24 Nov, 2018 7:04 am
joelw2002 wrote:
My dad's the only one left on his side out of his parents and his siblings, he can't even speak Polish, my uncle could when he was younger but unfortunately forgot all of it and passed away recently. All of my aunties on my mum's side can speak Croatian and they get together with some of their Serbian and Croatian friends from child hood every now and then. But apart from that I'm not too deep into the backgrounds, I'm mostly Aussie, I've only been to that Croatian club King Toms a few times and I was there for the world cup final and everyone was singing Croatian songs and I didn't understand any of it. :lol: I would like to learn either Polish or Croatian but I can't decide because I feel like it will be too hard to learn 2 languages.
I'd learn Croat because the written language of Polish is apparently insane. The Cyrillic alphabet would have been perfect for Polish but they stayed with the Latin alphabet.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 6:37 am

Born in Bulli, Mum emigrated from Holland as a kid, dads grand father was from Italy. He went to Bega and we still have plenty of family around there.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 10:24 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 24 Nov, 2018 8:15 pm
thanks, it is good that the Croats and Serbs are still friendly.

I have Lebo background and nothing is more heartening than traditional Lebo songs passed down even if we didn't understand all the words. My relos are too religious for me to mix much.
The Croats I know are not friendly to any Serbs.

Ever heard of the Bosnian war??

Dan Blanco

Post by Dan Blanco » Thu 06 Dec, 2018 9:20 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 8:47 am
Dan Blanco wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Dan Blanco wrote:
Serbian
I used to love the Serbian "chess" cafe at Cabramatta - one of my favourite hide outs in Sydney. Bet $300 a game and even riots sometimes. Their rugby league team lost to Filipino team a few years back - was a great game by the Pinoys.
Good times BFF. Love the chess cafes. Cabramatta was plagued with crime in the 90's unfortunately (see 5T, Paul Newman, heroin, Serbian/Vietnamese gangs). Times are changing though, and by all accounts, Cabramatta is enjoying a revival due to a clean-up of the area and hipster culinary reviews..

Cabra and Canley have magnificent food. Still make the drive every now and then
Really good burek around there too.

Dan Blanco

Post by Dan Blanco » Thu 06 Dec, 2018 9:24 pm

Demps wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:10 pm
Dan Blanco wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Dan Blanco wrote:
Serbian

sing wah
Haha. Sing wa. They use to hang out @ TimeZone on George St. From what I remember 5t were the real deal.

Dan Blanco

Post by Dan Blanco » Thu 06 Dec, 2018 9:26 pm

BBF your a crack up 😆

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 06 Dec, 2018 11:05 pm

Dan Blanco wrote:
Thu 06 Dec, 2018 9:24 pm
Demps wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:10 pm
Dan Blanco wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

sing wah
Haha. Sing wa. They use to hang out @ TimeZone on George St. From what I remember 5t were the real deal.
Lol, ruthless guys brah.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 8:29 am

Dan Blanco wrote:
Thu 06 Dec, 2018 9:26 pm
BBF your a crack up 😆
that's why I stay away from Oxford Street

Demps

Post by Demps » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 3:27 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 07 Dec, 2018 8:29 am
Dan Blanco wrote:
Thu 06 Dec, 2018 9:26 pm
BBF your a crack up 😆
that's why I stay away from Oxford Street
Tsk Tsk Tsk
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.