Music Thread

General Social Discussion
diedpretty

Music Thread

Post by diedpretty » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 11:35 pm

My wife bought me a book by Toby Creswell and Craig Mathieson for Xmas entitled "100 Best Albums Of All Times" - it was take from their perspective ( Australian ) and a good read. Their choice was not based on sales or popularity but on lasting impression. It wasn't your usual top 100. Yea it had the Beatles and Stones, The Who etc but not necessarily the albums everyone would expect. But it made me think that although we have a movie thread there is no music thread. While reading the book I was listening to a lot of the albums they had chosen - probably the most recent they chose was Arcade Fire - Funeral. Being 61 years of age and left field I like a lot of their choices but thought they had missed a lot of newer stuff. I have just been listening to Jake Buggs new album " Shangri La " and think it will stand the test of time.
I'd like to know what people think are the greatest albums of all time and what new stuff might still be considered relevant in 10/20 years time.

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:04 am

Ten.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:18 am

tigerbalm wrote:Ten.

I agree Ten is a classic album - interestingly Creswell didn't include it in his top 100 - he did include VS at number 54.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:23 am

That's harder to answer than who should start in the back row this year!

If I was stuck on a deserted island, these 5 albums would keep me going for a while (in no particular order)...

Drunken lullabies - Flogging Molly
Sigh no more - Mumford & Sons
Welcome to wherever you are - INXS
Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not - Arctic Monkeys
Hourly, Daily - You Am I

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:36 am

greatodensraven wrote:That's harder to answer than who should start in the back row this year!

If I was stuck on a deserted island, these 5 albums would keep me going for a while (in no particular order)...

Drunken lullabies - Flogging Molly
Sigh no more - Mumford & Sons
Welcome to wherever you are - INXS
Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not - Arctic Monkeys
Hourly, Daily - You Am I

Yea that's true - I could list a 1000 albums and still not be finished - maybe it should be albums that have had an impact on you personally. If I use that criteria I rate

The Who - Whos Next
U2 - Joshua Tree
Ramones - Ramones
The Strawbs - Grave New World
CSNY - Deja Vu

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:46 am

Been listening to a lot of The Cure lately. Disintegration is a great album.

stryker

Post by stryker » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:51 am

Revolver is an on obvious choice to be right up there. It's a total classic. I like different sorts including innervisions, machine head, London calling, thriller, master of puppets, appetite for destruction, led zep 4, never mind.....the usual classics. I really dug the grunge scene with PJ, Alice in chains, soundgarden, mother love bone etc. I find that these days bands write great singles but struggle to produce great albums. The WA scene is quite strong though

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 1:24 am

stryker wrote:Revolver is an on obvious choice to be right up there. It's a total classic. I like different sorts including innervisions, machine head, London calling, thriller, master of puppets, appetite for destruction, led zep 4, never mind.....the usual classics. I really dug the grunge scene with PJ, Alice in chains, soundgarden, mother love bone etc. I find that these days bands write great singles but struggle to produce great albums. The WA scene is quite strong though

Hi Stryker - their No 1 was " Highway 61 Revisited" - " Revolver" came in at No 2.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 7:07 pm

wow, hugely difficult to choose, but i would say my personal top 10 albums would be:

1. Nine Types of Light - TV on the Radio
2. Elephant - White Stripes
3. Electric - The Cult
4. The Real Thing - Faith No More
5. Appetite for Destruction - Guns n Roses
6. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
7. Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens
8. Metallica - Metallica
9. Kick - INXS
10. Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins

honourable mentions to: Play/18/Hotel - moby; Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic - RHCP; Youve Come a Long Way, Baby - Fatboy Slim; Dookie/21st Century Breakdown - Green Day; Channel Orange - Frank Ocean.

edit: just looked at Sgt. Peppers to refresh my memory, and its not that great (imo). i love A Day in the Life, but the rest is only so so, so off it goes. i do love the Beatles (67 onwards), though i only really listen to single songs, rather than albums, although i have been getting around to listening to Revolver (Tomorrow Never Knows is awesome).
Last edited by turnstyle on Sun 12 Jan, 2014 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 7:55 pm

I listen to a fair bit of music but out of the mainstream stuff I listen to, the following albums made an impression on me over the years:

Pearl Jam - Ten
Faith No More - The Real Thing and their follow up Angel Dust
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the alien
VAST - VAST
Celldweller- Celldweller

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 8:04 pm

Maybe not 'The Greatest' but just a few I like

AC/DC - Back in black
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pearl Jam - Ten
Green Day - Dookie

cochise

Post by cochise » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 8:11 pm

Wow, I'm impressed by some of the musical tastes in this thread, being a teenager in the 90's I'm also into a lot of the Grunge bands. Never in my life did I expect to see Mother Love Bone spoken about on this forum, I actually listened to their wonderful album on vinyl yesterday. My top 10 albums at this point in time.

1. No Code Pearl Jam
2. Ten Pearl Jam
3. Badmotorfinger Soundgarden
4. Dirt Alice in Chains
5. Rage Against the Machine Rage Against the Machine
6. Metallica Metallica
7. Blackout The Dropkick Murphys
8. Vs Pearl Jam
9. Nevermind Nirvana
10. Brothers in Arms Dire Straights

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 11:12 pm

Has anyone noticed the new One Direction song Midnight Memories and Late 80's band Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me

Soon as I heard it , bang

I reckon One Direction's management may have some questions to answer in regards to copying

It Down Under and Kookaburra sits under the old Gum Tree can be thought to sound the same , this song is screwed

tigertye

Post by tigertye » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 11:30 pm

happy tiger wrote:Has anyone noticed the new One Direction song Midnight Memories and Late 80's band Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me

I reckon One Direction's management may have some questions to answer in regards to copying

It Down Under and Kookaburra sits under the old Gum Tree can be thought to sound the same , this song is screwed
The only problem here Happy is why are you listening to One Direction in the first place?Haha

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 12:24 am

tigertye wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Has anyone noticed the new One Direction song Midnight Memories and Late 80's band Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me

The only problem here Happy is why are you listening to One Direction in the first place?Haha

6 year old daughter explains it pretty well Tigertye

Same reason I have 10 different coloured toe nails as well

And looked like the ugliest drag queen in the history od drag queens when I let her do some practice make up Friday night :roll

Listen to the two songs , you'll soon see what I mean

tigertye

Post by tigertye » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 1:41 am

happy tiger wrote:
tigertye wrote:

6 year old daughter explains it pretty well Tigertye

Same reason I have 10 different coloured toe nails as well

And looked like the ugliest drag queen in the history od drag queens when I let her do some practice make up Friday night :roll

Listen to the two songs , you'll soon see what I mean
I think that explains it well enough lol.

That's cool mate, I'm sure the nails look great haha.

Do yourself a favour and check out this vid of 1D without autotune. Voices of angels.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 11:01 am

Just under 2 months till the Stones.

everett

Post by everett » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 12:28 pm

I am a child of the 80's.

Top albums in no order

Scarecrow - John Mellencamp

Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen

Kick, Listen like Thieves - INXS

Songs from the Big Chair - Tears for Fears