Music Thread

General Social Discussion
stryker

Re: Music Thread

Post by stryker » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 10:11 am

happy tiger wrote:Has anyone noticed the new One Direction song Midnight Memories and Late 80's band Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me

Soon as I heard it , bang

I reckon One Direction's management may have some questions to answer in regards to copying

It Down Under and Kookaburra sits under the old Gum Tree can be thought to sound the same , this song is screwed
Yeah there is a distinct resemblaance there. It doesnt appear litigation is happening though as they may have been credited and therefore recieve royalties.
This is not a new sensation so to speak. Groups have ripped each other off for time immemorial. One of the more famous cases is when the Beach Boys blatantly ripped off the real king of rock and roll....The great Chuck Berry. Surfin USA was such an obvious rippoff that Chuck was granted songwriter credit and has recieved royalties ever since.
- How about vanilla Ice completely ripping Queen and David Bowie's under pressure?
- The Offspring were blatant in ripping off 2 artists with their hit "why dont you get a job". The first was ObLiDi, ObLaDa by the Beatles and the second was Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkle.
- The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony" ripped off the Stones track "The Last Time".
- Even an artictic band like Pearl Jam are not innocent. Their tune "Given to fly" ripped off Led Zep's Going to California.

As long as credit is given, I dont have a problem...however it is very lazy as despite the popularist view, there are many different chords that can be played in all differing scales. I did music theory at school and if I remember correctly there are over 2000 possibilities. There really is no need to completely ripoff another artists tune.

Anthism

Post by Anthism » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 10:37 am

stryker wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Has anyone noticed the new One Direction song Midnight Memories and Late 80's band Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me

Soon as I heard it , bang

I reckon One Direction's management may have some questions to answer in regards to copying

It Down Under and Kookaburra sits under the old Gum Tree can be thought to sound the same , this song is screwed
Yeah there is a distinct resemblaance there. It doesnt appear litigation is happening though as they may have been credited and therefore recieve royalties.
This is not a new sensation so to speak. Groups have ripped each other off for time immemorial. One of the more famous cases is when the Beach Boys blatantly ripped off the real king of rock and roll....The great Chuck Berry. Surfin USA was such an obvious rippoff that Chuck was granted songwriter credit and has recieved royalties ever since.
- How about vanilla Ice completely ripping Queen and David Bowie's under pressure?
- The Offspring were blatant in ripping off 2 artists with their hit "why dont you get a job". The first was ObLiDi, ObLaDa by the Beatles and the second was Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkle.
- The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony" ripped off the Stones track "The Last Time".
- Even an artictic band like Pearl Jam are not innocent. Their tune "Given to fly" ripped off Led Zep's Going to California.

As long as credit is given, I dont have a problem...however it is very lazy as despite the popularist view, there are many different chords that can be played in all differing scales. I did music theory at school and if I remember correctly there are over 2000 possibilities. There really is no need to completely ripoff another artists tune.
Enter Will.I.Am and Flo Rida.
Will.I.Am has already had a number of suits against him for copying and every other song has the most basic chord progression and lyrics modulated to sound different to the previous.
I can't remember the last Flo Rida song on the radio that wasn't sampled from another song entirely.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 1:09 pm

Noel Gallagher has made a living out of plagiarism

Now compare

Having said all that, Oasis are still one of my all time fave bands

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 2:06 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Noel Gallagher has made a living out of plagiarism

Now compare

Having said all that, Oasis are still one of my all time fave bands
I've listened to that song many times and just couldn't link the song

And I'm a hard core Doors fan :brick:

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 2:32 pm

There are certainly a few chords that go together nicely and they have been put together literally 1000's of times - especially in hit songs. It is very, very lazy songwriting if you can even call it that. Pop music in particular is the main culprit, with absolutely no artistic value nor originality to their progressions. I watched a youtube vid a few years ago and this girl played 3 chords in a continuous session and belted out 25 recognisable chart topping hits. The only difference was her strumming patterns and breaks. For nearly all of them, the order of the chords she played remained the same.
Happy when I checked out that one direction song you mentioned I found there was another of theirs which ripped off Baba O'Riely by The Who. I went through the comments section and was amazed to find all these teenage girls defending the boy band and claiming that The Who had ripped off their intro and rhythm section.
The levels of musical illiteracy amongst the groups who spend the most cash on music is astounding.....