Are we sick of Schapelle yet

General Social Discussion
tigsta

Are we sick of Schapelle yet

Post by tigsta » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 10:12 pm

happy tiger wrote:Wondering why my comment about the Corby's being known small time dealers for at least 15-20 years was deleted ??
I said something the other day and the whole thread was removed.

Very soft on here. Everyone needs to harden up.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

stryker

Post by stryker » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 10:17 pm

innsaneink wrote:Apparently if you havent been following every move of a junkie drug smuggler for the last nine years...you havent been doing your research and only swallow what the media tell us...Some of us really couldnt give a s***..but because one does...they have all the facts

Ho hum
:lol: So now it is a crime to you for someone to show passion in a topic that you have no interest in? Your a very sad, empty person...Id almost feel sorry for you if I wasnt so disgusted in your attitude.

tigsta

Post by tigsta » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 10:25 pm

No much required here but common sense. She is guilty as sin.

Her bro and dad had to make run and used her. That's all.

It must be extremely bad luck for your family to involved in drug deals and 'coincidentally' you end up with 4kgs of mull in your bag. That's terrible luck.

I want to know how good her bodyboarding skills are. When you go to Bali to surf you aren't an amature. She must be good and now that she's out she at some stage will go for a surf yeah. I seriously doubt it because I don't think she has EVER ridden a boogie board in her life.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 10:52 pm

Well the AFP seem pretty convinced someone in her party was aware of what she was carrying. I also find it hard to believe you wouldn't notice an extra 4kg in something like a boogie board bag.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 10:53 pm

tigsta wrote:No much required here but common sense. She is guilty as sin.

Her bro and dad had to make run and used her. That's all.

It must be extremely bad luck for your family to involved in drug deals and 'coincidentally' you end up with 4kgs of mull in your bag. That's terrible luck.

I want to know how good her bodyboarding skills are. When you go to Bali to surf you aren't an amature. She must be good and now that she's out she at some stage will go for a surf yeah. I seriously doubt it because I don't think she has EVER ridden a boogie board in her life.

To be fair her sister was in Bali and Corby herself lived on the Gold Coast. I don't think its unreasonable to assume she has used a boogie board before.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 11:09 pm

stryker wrote:Cheers Flip, I also had a bad feeling about this when it first happened. I am not trying to convince people of her innocence, even though I personally believe in it – she could well be guilty. What I am saying is that there is just not enough evidence for a conviction. Even if she was guilty, she should have gotten off because in any criminal proceeding the burden of proof is upon the prosecution who have to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt. What ended happening in this trial was a media circus erupted complete with defamatory statements and lies (which I’ll detail in a moment) from authority heads in Australia, he said, she said testimonies from prisoners, suspected drug couriers and corrupted customs staff…all taking place in front of a panel of judges who were hand selected due to their 100% combined conviction record in over 600 similar cases. In the end she had to prove the drugs were not hers and that was made almost impossible when certain fundamental protocols were not followed and her defence team was barred from introducing favourable evidence. Below are some very important points that were excluded from her defence and subsequent appeals:
• Commissioner Mick Keelty stated that he had no knowledge of corruption within Australia’s airports with relation to the transportation of illicit substances. This statement came despite the fact that the NSW Crime Commission was orchestrating Operation Mocha – an intensive surveillance on customs officers and baggage handlers at Sydney Domestic on the very day Schapelle travelled through there.
• Senior drugs investigator and former Associate Director of the NSW Crimes Commission, Mark Standen was himself caught in the operation and is now serving a 20 year stretch – in Australia. Disgraced police officer Christopher Laycock was also arrested and convicted and served 4 years.
• The United Nations 2007 World Drugs Report concluded that not only was smuggling and transportation of drugs through Australian airports happening – but it was rife.
• Whistle blower Allan Kessing, a former Sydney Airport Customs Officer wrote reviews in 2002 and 2003 condemning the “epidemic” of drug transportation through the airport.
• Wikileaks released an email from Stratfor’s Global Intelligence Tactical Analysts, Marko Primorac describing the endemic and pernicious drugs trafficking through our airports – where corrupted airport baggage handlers plant quantities of illicit substances in the luggage of unsuspecting passengers, turning them into unwitting drug mules. Mr Primorac described what Australian customs officer, Allan Kessing had described, that airport services corruption is rife, and that it was only going to get worse.
• Over a four year period, an international team of investigators and researchers compiled a dossier of evidence arguing Schapelle Corby’s innocence. They submitted the evidence to the ACC, the AFP and the Australian Government. They never received acknowledgement of having done so. Alexander Downer even said he had no recollection of ever receiving these reports.
This evidence does not involve Indonesia at all Winnipeg. This was totally an Australian crime that accidently made its way to Indonesia. There was no subversion of the Indonesian justice system, but there was certainly a cover up over here to minimalize the impact of further fractured relations with that country. The powers that be in this country were fully aware at the time this stuff was going on and were actively trying to dismantle the network. Next thing they know, a girl has shown up in Bali with a bag full of pot claiming she has fallen victim of these practices. It would have been a major embarrassment for the truth to have gotten out so she was left to her own devices, without any cooperation from our authorities to strengthen her defence of these charges.
The puzzling part about the whole thing is that her guilt or innocence could have been proven almost immediately if certain protocols were followed.
1. Her team were allowed to have the bags the pot was in to be fingerprinted and forensically tested for country of origin. Instead, everyone from the Balinese customs officers, police and even the judges handled the evidence with bare hands before disallowing the testing and destroying the evidence by fire.
2. The AFP made available to her team the check in weight of her bag at Sydney Airport. This would have hung or absolved her immediately. This evidence was never released as it became lost during Operation Mocha.
3. The CCTV footages of Schapelle in both Brisbane and Sydney airports were released. The bag of pot was huge and would have easily stood out in the boogie board bag on camera. The Judges ruled this evidence irrelevant and denied her team access to it.
The point is that there was just not enough evidence other than she had it in her bag to convict her. As I pointed out earlier, to gain conviction secondary evidence had to be produced and proven. The primary evidence was the pot, but there was zero secondary evidence.
It should also be pointed out that the AFP conducted no investigations whatsoever as to who supplied her with the drugs in Australia. Likewise the Balinese conducted no investigation on their end as to whom the drugs were intended.
Well just a few things...

The racket transporting drugs interstate involved cocaine I believe. Likewise Standen was trying to import MDMA or something similar. The corrupt Customs staff were mostly bigger fish than pot too.

The marijuana was vacuum sealed. It was designed to be as flat and small as possible. A package that stand out on a CCTV camera at an airport would be flat out stupid.

As I understand those comments re the AFP aren't true. Corby and others were interviewed but given Corby herself denied any involvement their efforts to identify the trail didn't go far. Besides it's marijuana - hardly a massive priority of the AFP given this is also around the time the Bali 9 are starting their activities. I believe the AFP offered to undertake some tests on the drugs but when it was made clear this evidence would be shared with the Indonesian authorities, the Corby defence team lost interest.

Airlines check total weights. Unless an individual item exceeds safety or size limits they're less interested in the individual weights than the total weight with regards to baggage limits. The AFP didn't and still doesn't have access to the weights of individual bags. LEAs get PAX cards and bugger all else most of the time...

If her "international team" of lawyers sent the information to the ACC they have zero idea of how the Australian law enforcement environment works. Downer has a whole department of people to handle this kind of thing.

Now personally I think the Indonesian investigation was hardly ideal and certainly fell short of what would be expected from an Australian prosecution. Still they had a reasonable case and they had the drugs - it was hardly a stitch up IMO anyway, But 15 years (or the 9+ she's served) is a long stretch for marijuana. I think she's served more than her fair share particularly compared to someone like Renae Lawrence.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 11:35 pm

Her sister owns a surf shop in Bali ffs

Why the hell would you take the boogie board over for

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 11:56 pm

happy tiger wrote:Her sister owns a surf shop in Bali ffs

I don't think that really proves anything. If it was something she did regularly its not unreasonable she may want to use her own. Besides judging from the size of the shop (based on the news footage I saw) it's hardly Rebel Sports. It looked about the size of a small boutique. Again it's not unreasonable they don't want to give up a new boogie board (assuming they even stocked them) rather than letting her sister use one that they then can't sell.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 6:06 am

stryker wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Apparently if you havent been following every move of a junkie drug smuggler for the last nine years...you havent been doing your research and only swallow what the media tell us...Some of us really couldnt give a s***..but because one does...they have all the facts

Ho hum
:lol: So now it is a crime to you for someone to show passion in a topic that you have no interest in? Your a very sad, empty person...Id almost feel sorry for you if I wasnt so disgusted in your attitude.
Getting personal now hmmmm???
We know what that usually means.

Oh no the internet the tough guy who would regularly aim to impress strangers online by sharing his violent encounters at sporting events thinks im sad & empty and is disgusted in my attitude. Im shattered.
stryker wrote: Willow when you have proven you have an extremly basic knowledge of criminal law and especially that of Indonesian. I called you on this twice last night and invited you to discuss some other facts. Your reply was to log off and run away only to return this morning when I wasnt online and join your mate in making snide remarks about conspiracy theories. That is gutless behaviour.
Sad eh...a touch paranoid?
Get over yourself bud

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 6:51 am

Yossarian wrote:

I don't think that really proves anything. If it was something she did regularly its not unreasonable she may want to use her own. Besides judging from the size of the shop (based on the news footage I saw) it's hardly Rebel Sports. It looked about the size of a small boutique. Again it's not unreasonable they don't want to give up a new boogie board (assuming they even stocked them) rather than letting her sister use one that they then can't sell.
I was told by a cousin they hire boards out as well Yoss

Its not as if it was a surfboard ,which you take because of weight feel ,length etc

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 7:05 am

Stryker , what are the chances that a baggage handler would have a vacuum sealed bag ready to go that was the exact size of the boogie board bag that Corby used

Its not as if boogie boards being taken to Bali would be common , wouldn't you be more likely to target a surfboard than a boogie board

Where would a baggage handler store a vacuum sealed bag waiting for the exact sized boogie board bag

Then he/she has to be in the situation where there is no one watching that he/she doing it

And then comes the time frame available , not being detected by sniffer dogs (which according to my Uncle who was airport manager for Ansett ) happens quite regularly even on domestic flights

The odds just continue to grow

I'm not saying its not possible , buts it not probable and would involve massive risk when there would be easier means available to a baggage handler

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:06 am

Their is always a element of doubt in every case and if we cast our minds back to Lindy Chamberlain, most Australians gave her the guilty vote only to jump ship a few years down the track when the verdict was over ruled.

From the countless articles I have read it would be hard to imagine she was not involved but their is always the chance she was set up and if so probably by a family member.

I think the real villains in this case is the media. They have given her celebrity status and showered her with gold.This is a insult to the Indonesians and must be doing the Bali nine and their appeals so much damage. You cant blame her from accepting all the media has to offer but I would have loved her to quietly slip back into mainstream society rather than on the media bandwagon.

Anyway is she guilty, we will never know for sure

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:11 am

Guilty or not...the poor woman did ten years in gaol...she didnt murder/rape or bash anyone.

She has done overs and thats if she even did it.....i feel for the woman and if she makes fifty million out of it then good on her,ten years in hell.....

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:32 am

simonthetiger wrote:Guilty or not...the poor woman did ten years in gaol...she didnt murder/rape or bash anyone.

She has done overs and thats if she even did it.....i feel for the woman and if she makes fifty million out of it then good on her,ten years in hell.....
I sort of agree, 10 years in that jail is no picnic.

However I think any TV station is wasting their money paying for an interview as I believe under her parole conditions she can't say she is innocent, can't say she didn't get a fair trail, can't complain about the jail etc..,

It will be a pretty boring interview if she sticks to her parole conditions and if she doesn't she goes back I'm for another 3 years. Whoever pays it is wasting their money big time.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:33 am

happy tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Its not as if it was a surfboard ,which you take because of weight feel ,length etc
Which may or may not be true. No offense to your cousin but I'd like something more solid than that. And even assuming that is true it doesn't mean it was the case in 2005. I believe Mercedes had only just arrived in Bali at the time

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:42 am

Yossarian wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Which may or may not be true. No offense to your cousin but I'd like something more solid than that. And even assuming that is true it doesn't mean it was the case in 2005. I believe Mercedes had only just arrived in Bali at the time
Well they had just recently been to Bali when we were talking about this (several years ago )

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:46 am

Yoss ,honestly , what chance that did a baggage handler have a putting a vacuum sealed bag that was an identical size to the boogie board bag inside

How could you possibly know that someone would bring the perfectly shaped bag to fit this on that particular day

I know Stryker is an ex second rower so probably isn't the sharpest kangaroo in the top paddock , but you I know you have some common sense despite your political allegiances

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:55 am

sunshine coast tiger wrote:
simonthetiger wrote:Guilty or not...the poor woman did ten years in gaol...she didnt murder/rape or bash anyone.

I sort of agree, 10 years in that jail is no picnic.

However I think any TV station is wasting their money paying for an interview as I believe under her parole conditions she can't say she is innocent, can't say she didn't get a fair trail, can't complain about the jail etc..,

It will be a pretty boring interview if she sticks to her parole conditions and if she doesn't she goes back I'm for another 3 years. Whoever pays it is wasting their money big time.

I don't believe that admission of guilt is part of her parole arrangements. As I understand it her crime predates the current Indonesian law that requires parolees to admit guilt.