Star Wars - Thread...Contains Spoilers*

General Social Discussion
User avatar
DavidDuncan
Member
Member
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:54 am
Location: Berowra

Re: Star Wars - Force Awakens...

Post by DavidDuncan » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 8:20 am

Geo. wrote:
Flippedy wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Yes you should...the order is up for debate...I would go by release date,,,New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi....then 1 2 3,,,

The original trilogy may appear dated effects wise by todays standards but the story telling and character development is far superior...Empire is by far the best of all the movies IMO...

Visually Ep 1 2 and 3 are superior to the Original but George lost the plot ...literally with the story with so many inaccuracies...Effects wise the are spectacular..

I like CB hope that Abrams and Disney don't stuff Force awakens Trek style...

How so?
Well the one that sticks in my craw the most is when Luke is questioning Leia in Return of the Jedi about her Mother ... LUKE Leia... do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
LEIA Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
LUKE What do you remember?
LEIA Just...images, really. Feelings.
LUKE Tell me.
LEIA (a little surprised at his insistence) She was very beautiful. Kind, but...sad.
(looks up)
Why are you asking me all this? He looks away.
LUKE I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

In Sith Padme died in Child birth..

There are others such as the Jedi the most powerful force in the Universe unable to detect a Sith under there noses...until it was well to late...

Anikins turning to the dark side also strayed from the way Obi Won describes it to Luke in a New Hope originally and how he took him as a padawan was not by choice but rather as a promise to Qui-Gon Jinn,,,
Leia has the force too, so maybe she saw the force projection of her mother, like Luke sees Obi-Wan after he dies, but she didn't understand it.
Remember the past. Live in the now. Plan for the future.


User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29904
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 8:48 am

DavidDuncan wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Well the one that sticks in my craw the most is when Luke is questioning Leia in Return of the Jedi about her Mother ... LUKE Leia... do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
LEIA Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
LUKE What do you remember?
LEIA Just...images, really. Feelings.
LUKE Tell me.
LEIA (a little surprised at his insistence) She was very beautiful. Kind, but...sad.
(looks up)
Why are you asking me all this? He looks away.
LUKE I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

In Sith Padme died in Child birth..

There are others such as the Jedi the most powerful force in the Universe unable to detect a Sith under there noses...until it was well to late...

Anikins turning to the dark side also strayed from the way Obi Won describes it to Luke in a New Hope originally and how he took him as a padawan was not by choice but rather as a promise to Qui-Gon Jinn,,,
Leia has the force too, so maybe she saw the force projection of her mother, like Luke sees Obi-Wan after he dies, but she didn't understand it.
Nice Theory but my understanding is Only Jedi/Sith can project themselves from the dead as Yoda explained to Obi Won on him going into exile with his Old friend Qui-Gon Jinn...Padme was not one with such force powers...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 18374
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 9:36 am

Anyone who wants to watch for the first time, I suggest the "Machete" order.

IV, V, (I,) II, III and VI.

Why? You don't ruin the original story arc of the original trilogy, and after the revelations in V, II and III can be watched as a flashback of sorts, with VI rounding out the series.

Watching them in release order is good, but leaves you feeling a bit deflated by watching the visually superior but infinitely weaker storyline of the first three episodes last.

Watching them in episode order ruins the later episodes revelations and leaves no surprises. The theory behind the Machete order is that because Lucas always said that Star Wars is about Anakin rather than Luke, the Machete order changes that so that the story arc revolves around Luke rather than Anakin. The Machete order normally involves leaving the Phantom Menance out. Episode one is essentially irrelevant, but you could include that before episode two if you are obsessive compulsive and feel you must absolutely watch it.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 18374
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 9:38 am

Geo. wrote:
DavidDuncan wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Well the one that sticks in my craw the most is when Luke is questioning Leia in Return of the Jedi about her Mother ... LUKE Leia... do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
LEIA Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
LUKE What do you remember?
LEIA Just...images, really. Feelings.
LUKE Tell me.
LEIA (a little surprised at his insistence) She was very beautiful. Kind, but...sad.
(looks up)
Why are you asking me all this? He looks away.
LUKE I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

In Sith Padme died in Child birth..

There are others such as the Jedi the most powerful force in the Universe unable to detect a Sith under there noses...until it was well to late...

Anikins turning to the dark side also strayed from the way Obi Won describes it to Luke in a New Hope originally and how he took him as a padawan was not by choice but rather as a promise to Qui-Gon Jinn,,,
Leia has the force too, so maybe she saw the force projection of her mother, like Luke sees Obi-Wan after he dies, but she didn't understand it.
Nice Theory but my understanding is Only Jedi/Sith can project themselves from the dead as Yoda explained to Obi Won on him going into exile with his Old friend Qui-Gon Jinn...Padme was not one with such force powers...
Do not underestimate the power of the Force. :P
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
Tigerdave
Member
Member
Posts: 11071
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore

Post by Tigerdave » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 10:12 am

For those that have seen the prequels, I highly recommend the following reviews.

The Phantom Menace


Attack of the Clones


Revenge of the Sith


User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29904
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 10:35 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:Anyone who wants to watch for the first time, I suggest the "Machete" order.

IV, V, (I,) II, III and VI.

Why? You don't ruin the original story arc of the original trilogy, and after the revelations in V, II and III can be watched as a flashback of sorts, with VI rounding out the series.

Watching them in release order is good, but leaves you feeling a bit deflated by watching the visually superior but infinitely weaker storyline of the first three episodes last.

Watching them in episode order ruins the later episodes revelations and leaves no surprises. The theory behind the Machete order is that because Lucas always said that Star Wars is about Anakin rather than Luke, the Machete order changes that so that the story arc revolves around Luke rather than Anakin. The Machete order normally involves leaving the Phantom Menance out. Episode one is essentially irrelevant, but you could include that before episode two if you are obsessive compulsive and feel you must absolutely watch it.
Not if you love Pod Racing it isn't... ;)

Oh and the fact that Anakin had no Father....and the Prophecy lies around the boy..and is eventually fulfilled in Jedi....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 18374
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 11:20 am

Read what I said again Geo, the Machete order rearranges the story arc around Luke, not Anakin which is what Lucas intended.

The prophecy, podracing, immaculate conception BS is irrelevant. ;)
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29904
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 11:41 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:Read what I said again Geo, the Machete order rearranges the story arc around Luke, not Anakin which is what Lucas intended.

The prophecy, podracing, immaculate conception BS is irrelevant. ;)
Blasphemer !!!!!! The prophecy that Anakin will bring balance to the force is very relevant..By destroying the Emperor and saving his son eventually the circle was complete....Father Pleeeease....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41528
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 8:11 pm

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
I suggest you rent a movie from the David Gold or David Sullivan selections :lol:

You Staries are all freaks seriously
I suggest if you don't care for the movies you stay out of this thread or I will execute Order 66 and hunt you down....
I suggest you start getting some picks right in the Predict 6 or we will laugh you down :lol:

User avatar
Flippedy
Member
Member
Posts: 7913
Joined: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 10:58 pm
Location: Central Coast NSW

Post by Flippedy » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 9:51 pm

Tigerdave wrote:
Swordy wrote:I just wanted to read a thread that didnt have negative Jason Taylor comments.

Can you believe I have never watched a star wars movie and im 46. So my question is, should i start from the start and watch them in order they wete released, or in the order of the story. I understand they are a bit jumbled. ...

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.4
yep you'll be better off watching in order of release, starting off with Ep 4 A New Hope, Ep 5 Empire and Ep 6 Return. If you can find them, get the original movies and not the Special Editions too.

Not sure there's much point in watching the first 3 to be honest, you'll understand why when you watch them in release date order, the original trilogy is superior in every way bar special effects and quite frankly, I don't think the prequels really add anything significant except for some history on the Clone Wars.
You're kidding right? The whole story is about Anaken's transition into Darth Vader and his eventual redemption through his son - from the light side to the dark side and back again. He really was the chosen one that Qui Gon Jinn thought he was after all. And much to the chagrin of all the pedantic sci fi nerds, it was actually a romance story as well :mrgreen: You wouldn't know any of that just watching the old trilogy - the prequels give the story so much more substance, depth and clarity.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41528
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 10:02 pm

Geo. wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:Read what I said again Geo, the Machete order rearranges the story arc around Luke, not Anakin which is what Lucas intended.

The prophecy, podracing, immaculate conception BS is irrelevant. ;)
Blasphemer !!!!!! The prophecy that Anakin will bring balance to the force is very relevant..By destroying the Emperor and saving his son eventually the circle was complete....Father Pleeeease....
You know if you added a T 1000 to try and kill Anakin to erase Luke this might become half interesting

Hasta la Vista ,baby ;)

I'll be back

I need a vacation

Give me your clothes

Wrong

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10198
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 10:56 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:Read what I said again Geo, the Machete order rearranges the story arc around Luke, not Anakin which is what Lucas intended.

The prophecy, podracing, immaculate conception BS is irrelevant. ;)
Blasphemer !!!!!! The prophecy that Anakin will bring balance to the force is very relevant..By destroying the Emperor and saving his son eventually the circle was complete....Father Pleeeease....
You know if you added a T 1000 to try and kill Anakin to erase Luke this might become half interesting

Hasta la Vista ,baby ;)

I'll be back

I need a vacation

Give me your clothes

Wrong
Is that you Chewy ??

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41528
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 11:32 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:Read what I said again Geo, the Machete order rearranges the story arc around Luke, not Anakin which is what Lucas intended.

The prophecy, podracing, immaculate conception BS is irrelevant. ;)
Blasphemer !!!!!! The prophecy that Anakin will bring balance to the force is very relevant..By destroying the Emperor and saving his son eventually the circle was complete....Father Pleeeease....
You know if you added a T 1000 to try and kill Anakin to erase Luke this might become half interesting

Hasta la Vista ,baby ;)

I'll be back

I need a vacation

Give me your clothes

Wrong
Is that you Chewy ??

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
I'm worried about what you do if I said YES :shock:

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29904
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 11:37 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:
happy tiger wrote: You know if you added a T 1000 to try and kill Anakin to erase Luke this might become half interesting

Hasta la Vista ,baby ;)

I'll be back

I need a vacation

Give me your clothes

Wrong
Is that you Chewy ??

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
Happy be more Jar Jar than Chewy....Hobbo

What a ridiculous suggestion as well...as if a machine would stand chance against a Jedi....I mean Linda Hamilton took it out not once but twice.....Has it ever actually came out on top ....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41528
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 12:10 am

Geo. wrote:
hobbo2803 wrote:
happy tiger wrote: You know if you added a T 1000 to try and kill Anakin to erase Luke this might become half interesting

Hasta la Vista ,baby ;)

I'll be back

I need a vacation

Give me your clothes

Wrong
Is that you Chewy ??

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
Happy be more Jar Jar than Chewy....Hobbo

What a ridiculous suggestion as well...as if a machine would stand chance against a Jedi....I mean Linda Hamilton took it out not once but twice.....Has it ever actually came out on top ....
I probably need a few jars to watch the new series of movies

User avatar
Tigerdave
Member
Member
Posts: 11071
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore

Post by Tigerdave » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 12:42 am

Flippedy wrote:
Tigerdave wrote:
Swordy wrote:I just wanted to read a thread that didnt have negative Jason Taylor comments.

Can you believe I have never watched a star wars movie and im 46. So my question is, should i start from the start and watch them in order they wete released, or in the order of the story. I understand they are a bit jumbled. ...

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.4
yep you'll be better off watching in order of release, starting off with Ep 4 A New Hope, Ep 5 Empire and Ep 6 Return. If you can find them, get the original movies and not the Special Editions too.

Not sure there's much point in watching the first 3 to be honest, you'll understand why when you watch them in release date order, the original trilogy is superior in every way bar special effects and quite frankly, I don't think the prequels really add anything significant except for some history on the Clone Wars.
You're kidding right? The whole story is about Anaken's transition into Darth Vader and his eventual redemption through his son - from the light side to the dark side and back again. He really was the chosen one that Qui Gon Jinn thought he was after all. And much to the chagrin of all the pedantic sci fi nerds, it was actually a romance story as well :mrgreen: You wouldn't know any of that just watching the old trilogy - the prequels give the story so much more substance, depth and clarity.
No I'm not kidding, the whole storyline was pretty superfluous. The "romance" was unseen as there was no chemistry between Christensen and Portman.

I didn't see any substance, certainly no depth and they only added confusion and "what the hell?" moments, like completely disregarding how 'the force' was described in the OT and the immaculate conception for starters.

The fact he was a good guy before turning bad was all stated in Ep 4. His journey to the Dark Side, may have been interesting if it was handled well, unfortunately it wasn't.

The "acting" was wooden, the direction poor and besides some cool cgi sequences, not all that worth it for the overall story.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 18374
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 8:26 am

Not to mention CGI Yoda... Ugh.

I'm not big on the later released episodes at all. There were a few critical miscast roles. Christensen, Samuel L Jackson for starters. The only person I thought did a good job was Ewen McGregor. I'm a big fan of Natalie Portman but I thought she was only passable as well.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 6030
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 12:06 pm

general grevious, young idiot anakin, liam neesons character

also the final insult was killing of the only decent new character Darth Maul

can you tell his Geek disdains the prequals

Post Reply