General Social Discussion
Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: One Foot in Grave Forum

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:52 pm

eyewonder wrote:
Mon 30 Oct, 2017 1:40 pm
change for change sake is also an issue.
what i dont get is the remodelling of parra stadium.i was just getting used to the trauma of cumberland oval being demolished and now parra stadium is being pancaked.
i dont live in the area anymore but grew up with parra pool to the south and the leagues club to the north.why theyre replacing old parra stadium with a stadium which only has a capacity of 30000 seems unneccessary to me.
maybe there are better informed forumers who will correct my misinformation.
i also loved the war memorial pool which had the highest diving boards ever- now there will be no public swimming facility apart from lake parramatta.
in these instances, i believe change isnt for the better nor is neccessary.
if it aint broke,dont fix it.
do you mean the swimming pools in Granville. They were unusual in that one was heated but not indoor so you had to choose your day.

I was against the original stadium in the late seventies as they were alienating public park land. When Parra won the premiership or one of the finals there they burnt down the old wooden stools that belonged to Council. It may have been the Wran govt. Parra eventually went to Liberal Party anyway so did not do Labor any good giving up their principles.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by eyewonder » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 5:10 pm

i dont understand why they are replacing / replaced the present stadium with a stadium that has a capacity of only 30 000 people.didnt the present stadium hold that many as it was.?
why not have a stadium which has a capacity of 100 000.?
to me its change for change sake and illogical.
besides which they ripped up the war memorial pool next door.i loved the diving board- not that i jumped off it- i just liked watching daerdevils jump.
as you get older,you have to accept change,but not when you think its unneccessary.

MG1962
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by MG1962 » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 7:28 am

eyewonder wrote:
Tue 07 Nov, 2017 5:10 pm
i dont understand why they are replacing / replaced the present stadium with a stadium that has a capacity of only 30 000 people.didnt the present stadium hold that many as it was.?
why not have a stadium which has a capacity of 100 000.?
to me its change for change sake and illogical.
Operating costs Vs the ability to fill it.

Regardless if a facility is being used or not, it still incurs a cost. The bigger the facility the bigger the cost. The only chance the facility gets to recoup that cost is when you fill it.

That being said, the current design really goes against world trends. This new stadium looks to improve the fan experience. The reality is facilities should be built in a way that attracts people for the majority of time the facility is not being used for its primary purpose.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 9:34 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:52 pm
eyewonder wrote:
Mon 30 Oct, 2017 1:40 pm
change for change sake is also an issue.
what i dont get is the remodelling of parra stadium.i was just getting used to the trauma of cumberland oval being demolished and now parra stadium is being pancaked.
i dont live in the area anymore but grew up with parra pool to the south and the leagues club to the north.why theyre replacing old parra stadium with a stadium which only has a capacity of 30000 seems unneccessary to me.
maybe there are better informed forumers who will correct my misinformation.
i also loved the war memorial pool which had the highest diving boards ever- now there will be no public swimming facility apart from lake parramatta.
in these instances, i believe change isnt for the better nor is neccessary.
if it aint broke,dont fix it.
do you mean the swimming pools in Granville. They were unusual in that one was heated but not indoor so you had to choose your day.

I was against the original stadium in the late seventies as they were alienating public park land. When Parra won the premiership or one of the finals there they burnt down the old wooden stools that belonged to Council. It may have been the Wran govt. Parra eventually went to Liberal Party anyway so did not do Labor any good giving up their principles.
eyewonder is right - there has been a swimming pool adjacent to Cumberland oval and pirtek stadium since 1959 - it was closed this year as part of the new stadium development taking place.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 9:42 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 4:48 pm
eyewonder wrote:
Sun 23 Jul, 2017 3:18 pm
recently an older couple passed away in sad circumstances in the palm beach area.The carer died and her partner later died of malnutrition.
this prompted the police investigating officer to make a public plea for people to be aware of older people in the community who struggle with outside communication.
The couple were pre war babies and not baby boomers as some forumers,like myself, who log on to this forum are .
The police officer believed that adults who struggled through the war became resililient,resourceful
and community minded.As a baby boomer we all got to enjoy the golf clubs,rsls,memorial halls and parks that were created by the pre war generation.
Their generation didnt become social forumers .They relied on face to face communication- getting their groceries from the corner shops and having their social contacts in this manner.
The police officer went on to issue a plea for people to be aware of older people and check in on them every now and then.Seems like a simple thing to do.
Technology has really eroded a lot of social intereaction, ATM machines replacing bank tellers, Self seve checkouts at the supermarket, news online replacing newsagents..& on & on it goes.
I work with a young bloke who cannot hold an eye to eye conversation, he has his phone in his hand constantly and his companion at lunchtime is the powerpoint to charge it...I ignore him whenever possible because he ignores the rest of us

I like the encouragement you are giving this young man to become a full blown hermit. :D

InBenjiWeTrust
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 11:39 am

Bill Frisell :master: :master:

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 12:27 pm

This Friswell guy reminds me of the Bluegrass guy outside of woollies busking -not worth recording, too slow and boring - couldn't catch a wave on that. Might be okay with a joint.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Return to “General Discussion”