One Foot in Grave Forum

General Social Discussion
Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: One Foot in Grave Forum

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 11:34 am

The biggest talent in OZ in the Seventies was this guy at the Muso's Club in the seventies for years
and
which he always ended up with.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 11:39 am

This masterpiece of a woman has still not being matched, just listen to someone doing cover versions of her songs - they are pathetic
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

NT Tiger
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 11:46 am

Masterton wrote:
NT Tiger wrote:
Captain Beefheart anyone? If you don't know it, treat yourself to the Safe as Milk album.
Ha. I thought that this would be the last place where I'd see someone talking up Beefheart. I like his stuff but it can be off-putting for some............
Most of his stuff takes some getting used to, but I love it. I reckon Safe as Milk, although a bit weird, (largely due to the use of a theremin) is really accessible and the poetry is great. It is one of my all time favourite albums and gets regular playing at my place. If you like Beefheart and haven't heard it..... .....do yourself a favour....
"Quality Stupidity"

NT Tiger
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 11:55 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:

This masterpiece of a woman has still not being matched, just listen to someone doing cover versions of her songs - they are pathetic
Yeah, Joplin's great, one of my all time favourite female vocalists. Another in a similar vein is Etta James. Do you ever listen to Etta James? Her versions of "God's Song" and "Lets burn down the cornfield" send chills.
"Quality Stupidity"

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 12:42 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:The biggest talent in OZ in the Seventies was this guy at the Muso's Club in the seventies for years
and
Won't say he was the biggest talent in the country in the 70's but he was very talented.
I was in radio for many years and remember interviewing him a few times BBF, he was a really genuine nice guy as well.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:02 pm

Russell, that is amazing. I would go t Musos maybe every week a few times for years. At live appearances this is a taste of his variety and talents, I found him completely unique to other artists at the time. Considering they are his lyrics as well I rate him above Elton John. Many of his songs are even intellectually satisfying- they encompass psychology and philosophy.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:08 pm

I will get it all out of my system at once - has anyone else written an amazingly beautiful song like this one:
- taking on a tour of thousands of years of human survival.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 391 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:13 pm

Merv tells it like it is

Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:32 pm

This recent cover version brings back memories when decent song and voice was appreciated not like all the sissy boys' bands and rap music we have now

InBenjiWeTrust
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:54 pm

this stuff still rocks :P

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 12:12 am

The sixties was a time of still widespread poverty due to large families and small salaries maybe more so in the countryside that suffered years-long droughts. And in many places you could go out and leave your house unlocked and nothing touched - or at least leave the windows opened with door weakly secured.

happy tiger
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 10:24 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:The biggest talent in OZ in the Seventies was this guy at the Muso's Club in the seventies for years
and
I think I have worked out BBF's real identity

Mr Countdown himself

Molly "Do yourself a favour "Meldrum :D

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 10:29 am

jadtiger wrote:My favourite era for music is the 60s and 70s i am surprised nobody mentioned Pink Floyd,The Who,Led Zeppelin,The Animals,Jethro Tull,Santana,Uriah Heep going further back Bessie Smith and Edith Piaf.Look at the rubbish that gets airplay these days.
They were all good Jad. Especially the great ladies. :)

Muffstar
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Muffstar » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 11:05 am

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:this stuff still rocks :P

Some good ones here mate, my first LP was Deep Purple in Rock and I was hooked on DP ever since. Ian Gillan had one of the best voices and as for Ritchie Blackmore the guy is a deadset legend. Alvin Lee from Ten Years After too was also a brilliant guitarist and the clip you have here is the best he really lets it rip.

geezus some good memories - you have made my day !

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 11:16 am

Sometimes your memory plays tricks on you and things you think were good arent as good as you think but everytime i listen to music like this i know my memory is not letting me down.Awesome stuff

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 11:22 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:This recent cover version brings back memories when decent song and voice was appreciated not like all the sissy boys' bands and rap music we have now
Hadnt seen or heard the cover version of that before.Thanks for putting it on that was outstanding she has a wonderful voice

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 8:42 am

What disappoints me is that where are the voices to replace Tom Jones, Janis Joplin, Rod Stewart, Neil Diamond, Cat Stevens and even Jimmy Barnes and Johnny O"Keefe.

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by eyewonder » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 4:37 pm

lovin spoonful,bee gees,mamas and the papas glenn campbell van the man james taylor- the original j.t.

songs from this era normally had 3-4 verses plus chorus 4 -5 time.they also had big band backing which really added colour to the song.

i listen to shows like the voice and a lot of songs are freeform and i wonder how people like this style of music- the song comes to a crescendo and i think - so what.

i suppose its what you grow up with.

but really the beatles had no peer.their lyrics tunes and their interesting changes are timeless for me.

thats what i reckon anyway.

Return to “General Discussion”