General Social Discussion
westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: One Foot in Grave Forum

Unread post by westTAHger » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 7:42 am

I used to go to North Ryde drive in and the one at Dundas alot.
I was there one night at Dundas, in winter, parked about 6 cars away from a Cortina that had a sun roof.
Looked like a scene from Cheech & Chong movie, " Up in smoke ", :roll with a different smelling odour pouring out of the sun roof.
Once the movie finished, the vehicle engine started, vehicle drove off, I heard a loud cracking sound.

They forgot to wind down the window and remove the speaker. It was lying on the ground as well as the bit of glass it broke off from the window. Everyone around the car clapped and cheered. :lol:
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Russell
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 8:17 am

Everyone is remembering the big ones - that's good.

Just a thought - anyone remember Australian band "The Nomads" with Gus McNeill up front, used to do a lot of gigs around - had a hit called "Good Times."

Also Jeff St. John and the Id - one hit was "Big Time Operator"

Both these bands used to play at a venue called "Martin's Place" in of course Martin Place in Sydney. Used to have telephone on each table and you could dial the number of other tables to asked a girl of your fancy for a dance. Ahead of its time and was a good night out. Those were the days.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 9:21 am

Flippedy wrote:
Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
westTAHger wrote:Here is one from a while ago: " Marshall's portable music machine"
Did anyone elses old man think he was cool getting a beta video player :lol:

What's worse , he still has it , just in case anyone wants to watch the free "Making of Michael Jackson Thriller " video

Our parent's are just Cool Jerks :D

I wonder if my kids think the same about me :o :lol:
Nah..they look at you and think.... thank God back in the day there were still Milkmen...

I had a Sony Beta video player - far superior quality to VHS, but of course everyone went for the crap model and made it popular.

Ha ha - me too - I even had a portable one - had a strap so you could haul it with you on holidays. I remember a mate of mine showing up at golf once with this new idea - a mobile phone - it was in a shoulder bag and ran off a battery - it was as big as a brick - peed myself laughing that anyone would come up with such a stupid idea!!!! Music - was in to most 70's stuff especially heavy metal and prog rock. Being a westy would spend most weekends at War and Peace in Parramatta - great venue. Saw Led Zeppelin at the Showground. Saw Black Sabbath at Hordern Pavilion with Ac/Dc as support band. Saw most overseas bands at either Hordern Pav or Randwick.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:26 am

My favourite venue was the Sydney Stadium as got free tickets to all overseas artists - Ray Charles, wrestling, roller game - Ralphie Valedarious, etc
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

happy tiger
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 5:03 pm

cunno wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
westTAHger wrote:Here is one from a while ago: " Marshall's portable music machine"

What's worse , he still has it , just in case anyone wants to watch the free "Making of Michael Jackson Thriller " video

Do they still go out with you and the misses Happy or only when it's your shout for a feed?
Only 12 and 9 and when dad plays the fool they just laugh

Probably only a matter of time until one of their friends says "Your Dads a clown " and that will be it

I'll officially become uncool then :lol: :cry:

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 7:59 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Flippedy wrote:
Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Nah..they look at you and think.... thank God back in the day there were still Milkmen...

I had a Sony Beta video player - far superior quality to VHS, but of course everyone went for the crap model and made it popular.

Ha ha - me too - I even had a portable one - had a strap so you could haul it with you on holidays. I remember a mate of mine showing up at golf once with this new idea - a mobile phone - it was in a shoulder bag and ran off a battery - it was as big as a brick - peed myself laughing that anyone would come up with such a stupid idea!!!! Music - was in to most 70's stuff especially heavy metal and prog rock. Being a westy would spend most weekends at War and Peace in Parramatta - great venue. Saw Led Zeppelin at the Showground. Saw Black Sabbath at Hordern Pavilion with Ac/Dc as support band. Saw most overseas bands at either Hordern Pav or Randwick.

I am soooo jealous! I was really hanging to go to that one, but my parents said I was too young. Yes Happy, TOO YOUNG!!!
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

cunno

Unread post by cunno » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 8:22 pm

Flippedy wrote:
diedpretty wrote:
Flippedy wrote:
Geo. wrote:

I am soooo jealous! I was really hanging to go to that one, but my parents said I was too young. Yes Happy, TOO YOUNG!!!
Yes the Hordern Pavillion was the place to go and see the big acts of the day BUT did anyone else go to the Sydney Stadium which was the predecessor of the Hordern? Remember going to the old stadium as a young kid to watch world championship wrestling with Brute Bernard, Killer Kawolski, Tex McKenzie and heaps of others. The roller game also used to be held there as well.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 8:47 pm

I saw Professor Tanaka split Mario Milano's head open while being helicoptered - performed with back of his elbow. Blood everywhere and Milano did not wrestle again for 6 weeks. At least that was one true fight.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 9:56 pm

I can even remember when people used to go to church, the drunks would come in at 6.30pm and sing their drunken hearts out completely out of tune and make the whole place burst out laughing - Irish Catholics they were, not that there is anything wrong with.....

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:02 pm

And can recall the Behind the Green Door song without ever knowing what/which/when green door it was supposed to - now I find out it may have been a lesbian club where they smoked pot and laughed a lot. whatever turns them on aye

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 7:40 am

As a kid, (o.k. I'm still a kid trapped inside a grown up's body)
Saturday, morning, cartoons from 7am to 9am
Ch 7 9am Sound Unlimited with Donny Sutherland.
Ch 9 saturdays, Joe the Gadget man had a show on from 11.30am.
Then that bloke B.P.Santmaria, with his "point of View" from 11.55am, then the wrestling.
Then on ABC at 3pm the footy was televised.
ABC 5pm repeat of the previous week countdown.

I remember this very well, when I was 10, as I was sick for 3 mths in 1975, for all of winter months.
Dad put a black and white tele in the room I was in at home, to make it a bit more bearable.
He would sit with me, during the footy matches, and if i did not understand, a ref decision he would explain.

To this day, this is one of the reasons, I always enjoy/cherish the time watching the footy with my dad, and thoroughly enjoy spending time with him and mum. Dad is 91, mum is 86. :master: :righton:
When wests-tigers win we ring each other straight away.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

MightyMaggy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by MightyMaggy » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 9:41 am

Prior to the Australian release of the movie “Blackboard Jungle” in 1956, I was a big fan of the American Swing and Suite big bands from listening to the music broadcast to the American troops in Korea, during the war. After seeing “Blackboard Jungle”, I switched to Rock and Roll.
In March 1957, the promoter Lee Gordon mounted his first major rock'n'roll tour, an all-star bill with Bill Haley and The Comets, LaVern Baker, Big Joe Turner, The Platters and Freddie Bell and The Bell Boys.
Gordon's second rock'n'roll tour was headed by Little Richard, Gene Vincent and The Blue Caps, and Eddie Cochran. When Gene Vincent and his band were delayed in Hawaii en route to Australia, Johnny O'Keefe and The Dee Jays to filled in for Vincent. The audience went wild over Johnny O'Keefe's performance more than the American visitors.
I went to both of these concerts held in the old Rushcutter Stadium, which was built for boxing and wrestling. I was hooked by the music!
More recently, I became a big fan of The Beatles, The Bee Gees, Neil Diamond, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Billy Joel.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:16 am

Flippedy wrote:
diedpretty wrote:
Flippedy wrote:
Geo. wrote:

The only reason they classed you as too young is the fact you were born February 29 Flip :lol:

What were you , 18 or 19 :roll

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 255 times
Been liked: 387 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:28 am

happy tiger wrote:
Flippedy wrote:
Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

I forgive you Flip , you and Cunno were in your 70's back then

Was it exciting watching the Federation of Australia lads ?? :D
No denials re: Milkmen....very interesting in deed...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:33 am

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Flippedy wrote:
Geo. wrote:

I forgive you Flip , you and Cunno were in your 70's back then

Was it exciting watching the Federation of Australia lads ?? :D
No denials re: Milkmen....very interesting in deed...
Mate I got in trouble last night for that :D

Mrs and I were watching our daughter last night with the Win Cam Smith picture thing , and the Mrs piped up and asked who I thought she looked like

I said the Milkman , and I copped it :lol:

Juro
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Juro » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:00 am

As a kid growing up watching countdown, I have memories of hating the song "Day trip to Bangor", which seemed to be played every week for months. Anyone else remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8WiPy1xSkw
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Basil Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Basil Tiger » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:37 am

Russell wrote:
Both these bands used to play at a venue called "Martin's Place" in of course Martin Place in Sydney. Used to have telephone on each table and you could dial the number of other tables to asked a girl of your fancy for a dance. Ahead of its time and was a good night out. Those were the days.
I remember "Martins Place",my first job was with the ANZ Bank nearby on the corner with George St.,myself and work mates would head up there on a Friday night after first 'filling' up at the Australian Hotel or Forbes Tavern up in King Street.It wasn't opened for long IIRC,less than a year, so then we started going to the "Mariners Bar" underneath the Carlton Rex Hotel and then onto the Stage Coach Restaurant or the Mandarin Club that were both open to 3am.
Mariners Bar in the late 1960's or early 1970's was a great place for meeting girls,also lots of League types like Ken Irvine,Johnny Raper,Jim Mills(Norths Welsch prop) were there every Friday night for 2 or 3 years.
Best memory from that era was meeting 2 Lufthansa Hostesses one Friday night,they were English and had rooms upstairs in the Hotel,my mate and i spent the W/end with them in the Hotel,first Girls that we had met that were on the Pill,wasn't widespread amongst Aussie girls at that time.I never forgot that experience,still think about nearly 50 years later.
We all stayed away from the Cross,very seedy even in those days,also lots of fights with louts from the outer Suburbs coming into Sydney looking to pick fights with the young Americans here on R&R from Vietnam.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 12:22 pm

As far as we knew I was the first person kicked out of the Flight Bar at Wentworth Hotel for under age drinking when the Duke of Edinburgh was staying there in 1966 - though I may already held the drinking record.

Return to “General Discussion”