One Foot in Grave Forum

General Social Discussion
Basil Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Re: One Foot in Grave Forum

Unread post by Basil Tiger » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 1:30 pm

I didn't realise there were so many 'relics' on this Forum.
Yeah the Flight Bar was trendy for a while in the late 1960's,another around that time was 'The Abbey' Restaurant.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by eyewonder » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 4:03 pm

its nice to know that relics can use social forums.
ralphie valederus -i can say it but how do you spell it.

snowleopard

Unread post by snowleopard » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:14 pm

Anyone remember Millers at Manly Vale and Richard Clapton .. Those were the days ! Gurls on the Avenue ..

snowleopard

Unread post by snowleopard » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:15 pm

Tropicana out Windsor way .. The Angels Live

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 1:38 am

eyewonder wrote:its nice to know that relics can use social forums.
ralphie valederus -i can say it but how do you spell it.
the women's team were just as rough as the guys getting smashed
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

NT Tiger
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 5:35 am

Hey, Anybody remember the new years concert at the Opera house in the late 70s early 80s ? Angels playing and some louts were throwing beer cans onto the stage. One of the band members complained 'they're bloody empty'. Next thing, Doc Neeson gets knocked out by a full can. Until then, an excellent night.
"Quality Stupidity"

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 6:23 am

Basil Tiger wrote:
Russell wrote:
Both these bands used to play at a venue called "Martin's Place" in of course Martin Place in Sydney. Used to have telephone on each table and you could dial the number of other tables to asked a girl of your fancy for a dance. Ahead of its time and was a good night out. Those were the days.
I remember "Martins Place",my first job was with the ANZ Bank nearby on the corner with George St.,myself and work mates would head up there on a Friday night after first 'filling' up at the Australian Hotel or Forbes Tavern up in King Street.It wasn't opened for long IIRC,less than a year, so then we started going to the "Mariners Bar" underneath the Carlton Rex Hotel and then onto the Stage Coach Restaurant or the Mandarin Club that were both open to 3am.
Mariners Bar in the late 1960's or early 1970's was a great place for meeting girls,also lots of League types like Ken Irvine,Johnny Raper,Jim Mills(Norths Welsch prop) were there every Friday night for 2 or 3 years.
Best memory from that era was meeting 2 Lufthansa Hostesses one Friday night,they were English and had rooms upstairs in the Hotel,my mate and i spent the W/end with them in the Hotel,first Girls that we had met that were on the Pill,wasn't widespread amongst Aussie girls at that time.I never forgot that experience,still think about nearly 50 years later.
We all stayed away from the Cross,very seedy even in those days,also lots of fights with louts from the outer Suburbs coming into Sydney looking to pick fights with the young Americans here on R&R from Vietnam.

Hey Basil,do you remember the Marble Bar at the Hilton Hotel in Pitt St....gee that place used to rage most nights with people finishing work and mixing with overseas guests..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 7:20 am

Bit before my time but was still raging on 2NZ - who could not like this simple song, Would almost have to be lucky to get airplay after Beatles, Stones etc. came out. Russell was probably spinning around studios in 2UW or SM or UE and fully sick of it.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 7:27 am

Do we have anyone on this forum that heard this at premiere - I doubt but hope so. Unfortunately I think my grandfather laughing at this rubbish influenced my personality excessively and I got to imitate the stuff.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 7:42 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:My favourite venue was the Sydney Stadium as got free tickets to all overseas artists - Ray Charles, wrestling, roller game - Ralphie Valedarious, etc
I saw The Beatles there, I'd just started my apprenticeship, and thought I was crash hot because I paid for it myself.
Could hardly hear anything because of the girls screaming, but it was a great night,the support band( I think it was Sounds Unlimited ( I think that was their name) were even better than the Beatles

happy tiger
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 8:12 am

NT Tiger wrote:Hey, Anybody remember the new years concert at the Opera house in the late 70s early 80s ? Angels playing and some louts were throwing beer cans onto the stage. One of the band members complained 'they're bloody empty'. Next thing, Doc Neeson gets knocked out by a full can. Until then, an excellent night.
Saw the Angels ,Rose Tattoo and ZZ Top at Raceway Rock at the Surfers Paradise International Raceway in around 85

They had a Chinook helicopter lower the ZZ Top car onto the stage , that was pretty cool

Probably seen the Angels a dozen times

Russell
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 9:32 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:

Bit before my time but was still raging on 2NZ - who could not like this simple song, Would almost have to be lucky to get airplay after Beatles, Stones etc. came out. Russell was probably spinning around studios in 2UW or SM or UE and fully sick of it.
BBF - it was a bit before my radio days - "Personality" with Lloyd Price was a hit in 1959. I didn't get into radio until 1968 at 4WK Warwick in Queensland. Didn't make it to 2SM until 1977. You are well out Mate.

Basil Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Basil Tiger » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 11:18 am

TrueTiger wrote: Hey Basil,do you remember the Marble Bar at the Hilton Hotel in Pitt St....gee that place used to rage most nights with people finishing work and mixing with overseas guests..
I do,i worked in Sydney for nearly 5 years.1968-73,Bank Johnnies love a beer and we were on the prowl nearly every Friday night.

Sounds Unlimited(Incorporated) did tour with the Beatles and they broke up out here,several met Aussie girls and stayed in Oz.,one married Kerrie Biddell and played in her backing group when they were regulars at a Jazz Club called Red Neds at Chatswood.

Edit..for anyone interested she married David Glyde from Sounds Inc. and the backing Band was called Steamboat Willie.
Shame she did not reach the Dizzy heights of World fame,great,great singer.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/obituarie ... 0eaff.html
Last edited by Basil Tiger on Sat 18 Jun, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 3:13 pm

Hey, who remembers having any good times down at the Rocks?

Most of my youth was mis-spent there practically every weekend! I loved walking (or staggering) from pub to pub in that place with it's old world atmosphere. Starting at the Navigators where the crowd always overflowed and joined with the crowd overflowing from the Orient in Argyle St, dinner and Steins at the Lowenbrau Keller, onto the Observer, Lord Nelson, Hero of Waterloo and finally finishing off at the Governor's Pleasure because it was the only pub down there that was open until 3am back then - of course there was also Pancakes On The Rocks if you were still up for an early morning feed :mrgreen:

I wonder what it all looks like now. Like most of Sydney, it's probably lost a lot of it's old world charm and gone all trendy & modern looking I imagine :(
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 6:09 pm

Flippedy wrote:Hey, who remembers having any good times down at the Rocks?

Most of my youth was mis-spent there practically every weekend! I loved walking (or staggering) from pub to pub in that place with it's old world atmosphere. Starting at the Navigators where the crowd always overflowed and joined with the crowd overflowing from the Orient in Argyle St, dinner and Steins at the Lowenbrau Keller, onto the Observer, Lord Nelson, Hero of Waterloo and finally finishing off at the Governor's Pleasure because it was the only pub down there that was open until 3am back then - of course there was also Pancakes On The Rocks if you were still up for an early morning feed :mrgreen:

I wonder what it all looks like now. Like most of Sydney, it's probably lost a lot of it's old world charm and gone all trendy & modern looking I imagine :(
Hey Flip,good to see you posting mate,I was at the Lowenbrau last year for a birthday celebration,fantastic feed and beers.The Orient was one of my favourite pubs,things have changed somewhat but some of the old charm still exists,fabulous part of Sydney as well as Darling Harbour,gee I got blind down there one night,it was at Olivios Italian restaurant,if you can Flip try and get down to the rocks again and revisit some of the memories,I'm sure you would love it...cheers mate..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 6:35 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the era of Frank Hyde calling the footy on 2 SM.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 7:35 pm

westTAHger wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the era of Frank Hyde calling the footy on 2 SM.
Except the poor guy with those heavy glasses was about 20 metres out when calling the game at LIdcombe OVal in the late sixties.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 7:37 pm

I used to enjoy a walk up Kings Cross, Domain on Sunday arvo with John Webster and Chinatown - they were the only places open in Sydney in mid sixties

Return to “General Discussion”