One Foot in Grave Forum

General Social Discussion
NT Tiger
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: One Foot in Grave Forum

Unread post by NT Tiger » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 6:14 pm

Spartan117 wrote:Im a bit more Skeptical of the modern Pollution Situation especially the Global warming cult.

I do my best not to waste and over consume which isnt easy with a family of 7. Our footprint is miniscule. The Kids are taught the principle of Stewardship.

I think We forget that we love the Online Shopping world and the fact we do almost everything in real time these days an that there is a cultural cost.

For me
"The Kids are taught the principle of Stewardship." Well done, and my full admiration. Cheers to you and yours Spartan.
"Quality Stupidity"

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 8:44 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tiger Come Lately wrote:Music from the 70's was great,

The Ramones
Blondie
Fleetwood Mac
Eagles
Sex Pistols
The Stooges
Roxy Music
Kiss

And so many more, the best thing was buying and album or making a mixtape of your favourite songs. Some you would get off the radio, sit and wait and make sure you hit record and pause in time.
Sorry but I don't think they measure up against the Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors, The Kinks, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Flloyd, Neil Diamond, Tom Jones, Ray Charles, Johnny O'Keefe, Johnny Cash, Shangri Las, Tina Turner, Shirley Bassey, Dusty Springfield, Bob Dillon, Peter Paul & Mary, Sam Cooke, The Big Bopper, Elvis, Mamas & Papas, The Animals, Johnny Farnham, Normie Rowe, Monkees (haha) Diana Ross Supremes, Aretha Franklin, Joe Cocker, Manfred Man, The Hollies, Chad Morgan, Donovan, Canned Heat, Cream, roy Orbison, Procol Harlum,
etc etc
There are bands on both lists that I like (Roxy Music, The Ramones, Rolling Stones) but none of them measure up against Frank Zappa, The Mothers of Invention or Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band.
Zappa ( & mothers of invention) for sure, Cap Beefheart and the magic band were at times a bit out there but the guitar chops was massive! i dont know if that zappas influence or just the same school?

Certainly a great time for rock guitar music.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 11:33 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tiger Come Lately wrote:Music from the 70's was great,

The Ramones
Blondie
Fleetwood Mac
Eagles
Sex Pistols
The Stooges
Roxy Music
Kiss

And so many more, the best thing was buying and album or making a mixtape of your favourite songs. Some you would get off the radio, sit and wait and make sure you hit record and pause in time.
Sorry but I don't think they measure up against the Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors, The Kinks, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Flloyd, Neil Diamond, Tom Jones, Ray Charles, Johnny O'Keefe, Johnny Cash, Shangri Las, Tina Turner, Shirley Bassey, Dusty Springfield, Bob Dillon, Peter Paul & Mary, Sam Cooke, The Big Bopper, Elvis, Mamas & Papas, The Animals, Johnny Farnham, Normie Rowe, Monkees (haha) Diana Ross Supremes, Aretha Franklin, Joe Cocker, Manfred Man, The Hollies, Chad Morgan, Donovan, Canned Heat, Cream, roy Orbison, Procol Harlum,
etc etc
There are bands on both lists that I like (Roxy Music, The Ramones, Rolling Stones) but none of them measure up against Frank Zappa, The Mothers of Invention or Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band.
My list was comparing sixties against the seventies though many overlapped. I missed Crosby Stills Nash & Young for the sixties. After the sixties if nothing else was invented it would not have really mattered. (spelt Dylan terribly there).
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

InBenjiWeTrust
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 1:46 pm

Ronnie Earl one of my fav blues guitarists

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 4:29 pm

Just listening to a Retro radio show and the announcer is doing some late 60's hippy type music and informs the listeners that the 50th Anniversary of the start of 'The Summer Of Love' is only 6 months away!.

Spook
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by Spook » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 5:08 pm

Wow. that long? Makes me feel more like I have 2 legs and the torso in the pit.
People have mentioned some great groups and singers in this thread, but lets not forget the one hit wonders. After Thunderclap Newman released "Something in the Air" they didn't need another one.
As a rule I hated 50's music, but if I had to name my favourite song of all time it would it would have to be Sarah "Sassy" Vaughan's "Broken hearted melody", a voice like liquid gold.

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by eyewonder » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 5:47 pm

something in the air was a great song- the mob who played it were south african i think.
without being too morbid,next week marks the 40 th anniversary of the granville train disaster.
although i had no personal involvement or loss,i still feel great pity for those souls who lost their lives that day.im sure the loss still continues for some families.

the western line is a completely different train ride these days.air conditioned,electric doors,comfortable seating,digital signage- completely advanced from the red rattler days.

ill certainly be pausing and paying my respects on thursday the 19th.

Russell
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Russell » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 8:42 pm

eyewonder wrote:something in the air was a great song- the mob who played it were south african i think.
without being too morbid,next week marks the 40 th anniversary of the granville train disaster.
although i had no personal involvement or loss,i still feel great pity for those souls who lost their lives that day.im sure the loss still continues for some families.

the western line is a completely different train ride these days.air conditioned,electric doors,comfortable seating,digital signage- completely advanced from the red rattler days.

ill certainly be pausing and paying my respects on thursday the 19th.
Actually "eyewonder", Thunderclap Newman were a British band that Pete Townsend of the Who formed in 1969 for members John Keen, Andy "Thunderclap" Newman and Jimmy McCullock. Townsend played bass on the singles and album under the name "Bijou Drains". The song (only hit they had) is one of the great songs of the rock era.

As a sidelight with regards to the Granville train disaster - it was the day that I started work at 2SM in Sydney - one of the staff members, can't remember her name was killed that morning, I sat on her seat for a couple of years ( I will remember that day as well).

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 10:13 pm

Granville, forever known as the day of the Roses, being from a regional area it didn't affect me but I had a cousin who was involved in the recovery and it did affect him and quite a few other rescuers.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 10:39 pm

The Granville Train Disaster was the day that I stopped donating blood. Had being a regular donor for years but there was a special call out that day for bods in Magpie territory where it occurred, in the big mob I worked for of a few thousand people only one other plus myself volunteered - well that was the line in the sand for me. What a weak mob of Aussies wanting to help Aussies.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 225 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 7:11 am

So because others were weak & cbf'ed.... you decided to join them?

Lived not far away in Ashfield at the time, just started high school I guess.... Remember thinking when I first heard I was glad mum travelled the other direction by train every day

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 7:24 am

innsaneink wrote:So because others were weak & cbf'ed.... you decided to join them?

Lived not far away in Ashfield at the time, just started high school I guess.... Remember thinking when I first heard I was glad mum travelled the other direction by train every day
Your Honour, I object. The Dishonourable innsaneink does not qualify to enter this Forum - he was still in shorts at time of said incident. Do not pass Go and do not collect $200!

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 7:26 am

Kyle Lovett had to clean out his locker - in my day it would have been plastered with Jane Mansfield pics

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 7:51 am

innsaneink wrote:So because others were weak & cbf'ed.... you decided to join them?

Yeah, odd reasoning, but BBF can be just that, odd.

It is one of those few days from way back then that I remember well and we were on holidays at Avoca before my going into sixth class. Saw my first shark on a morning swim and adventure, before returning to our accommodation to find my parents glued to the radio (no television). Would be watching it unfold live on this device had it occurred today, which shows just how much has changed.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 2:40 pm

formerguest wrote:

Yeah, odd reasoning, but BBF can be just that, odd.

It is called not being a sucker. If it was good enough for the other 1998 not to donate then good enough for me as well. Don't worry I was also booed and abused when I spoke against accepting the company's super offer as inadequate and the co. having majority of directors. About a decade later the apologies came out when under new management the funds went missing. But they did not get my money.

InBenjiWeTrust
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 1:37 pm

one of my fav bands

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 8:57 am

To this day, regardless of the years, I still maintain a burning rage/ hold a grudge against Manly and a certain ref of the 70's era. ( A hint first name starts with G, surname starts with H)
Won't, speak my mind about these two, as I'll probably get banned from this forum.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 9:56 am

Magpie legend Noel Kelly has said that he believes referee Darcy Lawler had accepted money to help St George win the 1963 Grand Final.

Return to “General Discussion”