One Foot in Grave Forum

General Social Discussion
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36285
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 72 times

Re: not first time

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:16 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 25 Feb, 2017 9:56 am
Magpie legend Noel Kelly has said that he believes referee Darcy Lawler had accepted money to help St George win the 1963 Grand Final.
I think it is widely accepted that Lawler took bribes

After Harrigan's comments in his autobiography about this subject if there was any denial the family would of taken him to the cleaners


Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 12:33 pm

http://makingthenut.com/punting-profile ... and-final/

good coverage of it here

no gambling on footie those days - joke, those footie cards were everywhere
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1775
Joined: Tue 31 May, 2011 3:36 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 8:56 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 25 Feb, 2017 9:56 am
Magpie legend Noel Kelly has said that he believes referee Darcy Lawler had accepted money to help St George win the 1963 Grand Final.
Jack Gibson played for the Magpies in that Grand Final and according to his auto biography when he entered the change rooms he informed his team mates that they were off as Darcy had backed the Stains, Andrew Webster from the SMH wrote the definitive book on the Super Coach so if you listen to 2KY give him a call and he'll elaborate for you, Sky Sports Racing/Big Sports Breakfast.

User avatar
Basil Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue 18 Sep, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Northern NSW(ex-Sydney).
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Basil Tiger » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:08 pm

[quote=
no gambling on footie those days - joke, those footie cards were everywhere
[/quote]

Yep,we had a kid selling them at School in the 1960's.Also almost every Pub. had a SP Bookie that took bets on the Footy during the 1960's & 70's.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:54 pm

Basil Tiger wrote:
Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:08 pm
[quote=
no gambling on footie those days - joke, those footie cards were everywhere
Yep,we had a kid selling them at School in the 1960's.Also almost every Pub. had a SP Bookie that took bets on the Footy during the 1960's & 70's.
[/quote]

what were the odds on them I forget? there were only about 6 games IIRC

Were they 20:1?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)


User avatar
Basil Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue 18 Sep, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Northern NSW(ex-Sydney).
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Basil Tiger » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 3:31 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:54 pm
Basil Tiger wrote:
Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:08 pm
[quote=
no gambling on footie those days - joke, those footie cards were everywhere
Yep,we had a kid selling them at School in the 1960's.Also almost every Pub. had a SP Bookie that took bets on the Footy during the 1960's & 70's.
what were the odds on them I forget? there were only about 6 games IIRC

Were they 20:1?
[/quote]

I forget,it was hard to pick with the start even thou. there were only 5 Games,i think it was 10:1 then 20:1 when Penrith/Sharks started but i may be wrong.
The major ones were run by Crims. that had Police protection and Players and probably Refs. in their pocket so they could influence almost any game.
My Uncle(in law) lived in Balmain and he said it was common knowledge that Lennie McPherson was involved but he wasn't top dog(possibly George Freeman),he was more the standover/problem solver type guy at that time,1960's.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

eyewonder
Member
Member
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 5:02 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by eyewonder » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 4:55 pm

yep,the jack gibson book is a good read if you footie stuff.

john elias's story is actually the superior read .do yourself a favour,as they say.

the wests souths game in the mid 1990s at cambo was a stitch up.

i was there,it was watching two different games.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 11:49 am

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/more-spo ... spartanntp

A girl all pumped with testosterone drugs converting to a man has won a girls wrestling contest - big protests ain't fair. It was the east Germans doing that years ago.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36285
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 6:50 pm

eyewonder wrote:
Sun 26 Feb, 2017 4:55 pm
yep,the jack gibson book is a good read if you footie stuff.

john elias's story is actually the superior read .do yourself a favour,as they say.

the wests souths game in the mid 1990s at cambo was a stitch up.

i was there,it was watching two different games.
I often wondered about the Rd 26 game v Penrith in 2005

The minute Parra beat the Knights in the early game we went to garbage after leading 18-0 nil

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1775
Joined: Tue 31 May, 2011 3:36 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 12:45 pm

Just to make us all feel a little sadder today, word has come through that Chuck Berry has Died aged 90.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 12:58 pm

GoldXR50Leroy wrote:
Sun 19 Mar, 2017 12:45 pm
Just to make us all feel a little sadder today, word has come through that Chuck Berry has Died aged 90.
R & R was Devil's music back in those days. And whom was that declared by - the ones doing
paedofilia behind the pulpit. At least we had an alternative to Perry Como putting us to sleep.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

User avatar
westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: with Daffy Duck, having fun
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 5:54 pm

Still haven't got both my sons to the easter show in sydney yet.
I have fun memories of it, when i was a fair bit younger, when it was at the Sydney showground, where foxtel studios now are.
I really liked watching the wood chopping events, and sitting on the tractors.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold



" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 6:22 pm

westTAHger wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 5:54 pm
Still haven't got both my sons to the easter show in sydney yet.
I have fun memories of it, when i was a fair bit younger, when it was at the Sydney showground, where foxtel studios now are.
I really liked watching the wood chopping events, and sitting on the tractors.
I had ruddy wood chopping every arvo in my backyard in my youth, dragging logs up for firewood on old pram from the mud flats after a flood, they would get caught on the Common (animal) fences. Have mucked around with draught horse ploughs but too young to give a go. I was great shot swinging an axe to take off chooks head.

Best fun was cracker night, had a bon fire out of corn stalks stacked about 15 feet high, the flames would go about 25 high, though well back in the paddock the fire brigade would put out as could have melted the power lines.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:17 pm

for Black Sabbath nostalgics :D







voice of reason
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat 09 Aug, 2014 10:35 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by voice of reason » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:28 pm

This is a great Black Sabbath cover by the Foo Fighters

Suffering supporter since 1967

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 7:47 am

Speaking overall I think that the one-footers will leave the world a much worse place then when they were teenagers and had the world at their feet. There have been great improvements in people's mental attitude, awareness etc. but they have been greatly out weighed by the dangerous spread of nuke weapons everywhere almost and the dire state of the environment and biosphere including over population. Life as we know it will only go downhill from now and we are virtually nothing to effectively prevent it. Politicians are making heroes out themselves doing the opposite. There is no hope.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 7:52 pm

voice of reason wrote:
Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:28 pm
This is a great Black Sabbath cover by the Foo Fighters

thanks, great cover - rock on :D







User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25335
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 9:38 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 15 Apr, 2017 7:47 am
Speaking overall I think that the one-footers will leave the world a much worse place then when they were teenagers and had the world at their feet. There have been great improvements in people's mental attitude, awareness etc. but they have been greatly out weighed by the dangerous spread of nuke weapons everywhere almost and the dire state of the environment and biosphere including over population. Life as we know it will only go downhill from now and we are virtually nothing to effectively prevent it. Politicians are making heroes out themselves doing the opposite. There is no hope.
Near, the end?

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”