Ian Roberts wants more gay leaders in NRL

General Social Discussion
Byron Bay Fan

Ian Roberts wants more gay leaders in NRL

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 11:55 am

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-le ... spartanntp

He has a point due to continued discrimination.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 2:04 pm

Meh, why does he constantly feel the need to make a grand issue out of his sexuality? Can't he just be happy to be classed as a man? You don't hear other players bunging on saying things like "I just want everybody to know that I'm heterosexual".
Feel very sorry for the young boy in the story who took his own life, that is a tragedy.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 3:14 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 2:04 pm
Meh, why does he constantly feel the need to make a grand issue out of his sexuality? Can't he just be happy to be classed as a man? You don't hear other players bunging on saying things like "I just want everybody to know that I'm heterosexual".
Feel very sorry for the young boy in the story who took his own life, that is a tragedy.

That's because our heterosexuality is neither questioned, feared nor criticised. It's a whole different dynamic for those who are different from the commonly accepted societal norm.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 3:50 pm

Just get the right people...doesnt matter if theyre gay bi short tall black or green

Discrimination would be choosing a gay coz theyre gay

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 3:51 pm

Leaders are leaders, it doesn't matter what their sexuality is.
A pity that Roberts didn't put his hand up when he played, he could have raised the profile of gay players if he had. Sports club need leaders, but who cares who they sleep with.
They shouldn't be appointed because they are homosexual or whatever, just on merit.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 4:21 pm

Why should we need to know about a players sexuality?
I personally dont want to know anything about any player bar their physical attributes and skill levels as they apply to RL.

Once you divulge such info you open the door for abuse in the form of onfield sledging and drunken opposition yobbos in the crowd. The game doesnt need this crap.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 4:53 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 3:50 pm
Just get the right people...doesnt matter if theyre gay bi short tall black or green

Discrimination would be choosing a gay coz theyre gay
Spot on. Some gay people make a huge song and dance about ensuring everybody knows they are gay but they get the irrits if someone says "are you gay?". Can't have it both ways.

Dingo

Post by Dingo » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 6:56 pm

meh, such a drama queen.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:27 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 3:51 pm
A pity that Roberts didn't put his hand up when he played, he could have raised the profile of gay players if he had. Sports club need leaders, but who cares who they sleep with.
They shouldn't be appointed because they are homosexual or whatever, just on merit.

According to the article he did come out whilst playing and was the first... as the quote below shows:
In 1994, Roberts became the first professional footballer in any code across the world to come out while he was still playing. And he'd been forgotten for the game's debut float at Mardi Gras.

Ian is making the point that as there is still discrimination we need leaders and idols in society to lead their followers to be more accepting so that the gays can have normal life. Unless they see widespread acceptance and role models in society they become apprehensive about their own identity. There are still plenty of religious groups quoting the Bible preaching fire and brimstone.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:45 pm

Please don't politicize the sport I love thanks Ian Roberts

I totally back your calls that we need more gay leaders in the community wholeheartedly , but rugby league players aren't role models in the true sense , they are heroes / sport stars

ALX22

Post by ALX22 » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:51 pm

Role models can also call out "offensive" slurs.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:35 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:27 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 3:51 pm

According to the article he did come out whilst playing and was the first... as the quote below shows:
In 1994, Roberts became the first professional footballer in any code across the world to come out while he was still playing. And he'd been forgotten for the game's debut float at Mardi Gras.

Sorry , I didn't remember that.
Probably shows how little I cared. A footballer is a footballer.

Ian is making the point that as there is still discrimination we need leaders and idols in society to lead their followers to be more accepting so that the gays can have normal life. Unless they see widespread acceptance and role models in society they become apprehensive about their own identity. There are still plenty of religious groups quoting the Bible preaching fire and brimstone.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:05 pm

He wasn't much of a role model when he bashed the crap out if gary jack.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 8:26 am

gallagher wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:05 pm
I wonder if Gary had used any inflammatory words to stir him up?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 10:10 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 05 Mar, 2017 8:26 am
gallagher wrote:
Silvertail scum?

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 11:47 am

gallagher wrote:
Sun 05 Mar, 2017 10:10 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 05 Mar, 2017 8:26 am
gallagher wrote:
Silvertail scum?
I was thinking of something more to do with gender identity - it happens in cricket, they hit below the belt.

But I have no idea at all, Roberts may have just been thuggish.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 11:54 am

Hard to have gay leaders in the game when none have come out of the closet. And if there are players in the closet, you can't exactly demand them to come out just so it can draw attention to your way of life.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 12:16 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 05 Mar, 2017 11:54 am
Hard to have gay leaders in the game when none have come out of the closet. And if there are players in the closet, you can't exactly demand them to come out just so it can draw attention to your way of life.
The original article did mention other players going to the march but I don't know if just as support or outing themselves. I could imagine it would be difficult being a gay and living in a society as a minority that has at times suffered even murderous discrimination that happened only late last century. I know at some schools only about 10 years ago there were nasty names and bullying.