Nick Kyrgios Bad Boy of Tennis

General Social Discussion
Byron Bay Fan

Nick Kyrgios Bad Boy of Tennis

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 8:43 am

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/tennis/i ... spartandhp

Now Nick has pulled out of another tournament, this time supposedly due to fool poisoning, a shocking thing to have to do in a semi-final to Federer.

Always a drama this guy.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

willow

Post by willow » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:05 am

All the talent in the world but has the heart of a pea and brain to match.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:37 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 18 Mar, 2017 8:43 am

Now Nick has pulled out of another tournament, this time supposedly due to fool poisoning, a shocking thing to have to do in a semi-final to Federer.

Always a drama this guy.
Freudian slip, BBF?
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 1:08 pm

Bit of a rock and a hard place here.

If he pulls out he is a pea heart.

If he plays poorly and looks unfit he gets accused of tanking.

Kyrgios is going well at the moment. He has had his failings and admits it.

He thrives on a team environment, tennis is so hard because it's a single player sport you need to really be your own motivation.

How many footballers talk about a tight nit club or a change of culture being the spark that changed their careers. I'm tennis you may have coaches, hitting partners and players but at the end of the day it's just you going out their on the court.

Hopefully Leighton Hewitt has fixed this, he was a big AFL supporter and used to train with the crows. He has taken a lot of the Aussie Davis cup players and turned it into a squad giving it a team mentality. Next year he is going to try and line up the tournaments and get funding from tennis Australia to fund the travel of lesser earning players to go to more tournaments and stay together. Which means that kyriogos will be staying at cheaper hotels to stay with the team. He is trying to bring tennis Australia into a team environment. Kyriogos is thriving under it, last year he was only doing physical training. He is now doing regular training with the team and is taking to it like a duck to water.

He has said he just loves hanging with the boys and likes going out on court again, which hasn't been the case for at least three years.

From my understanding although Bernie is part of the Davis cup team and wants to play wants to keep his preparation and coaching as they are now and will only join the team prior to Davis cup matches.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 1:35 pm

I'd take Kyrgios over Tomic any day of the week

I think Kyrgios is starting to turn it around personally

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 3:14 pm

Or alternatively he actually has food poisoning. I'm not sure why he'd pull out of a game against Federer if he was fit.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 3:24 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 18 Mar, 2017 1:35 pm

Seriously Happy? IMO he will never turn it around, he might jag a few tournaments here and there but his flogger attitude and personality seems ingrained- would be massively surprised if he does a Hewitt and ends up loved and respected.
Would run very close to being the biggest tool in the history of sport, honestly cannot think of anyone who was worse.
Absolute knob of a bloke.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 4:13 pm

willow wrote:
Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:05 am
All the talent in the world but has the heart of a pea and brain to match.

Yep that sums him up well, Willow. I've tried very hard to like Kyrgios over the years - with him being an Aussie and a very talented player, but I just can't warm to the guy at all! His whole arrogant demeanour and surliness both on and off the court just irks me. I often find myself barracking for whoever his opponent is after the first set of a match!
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 1:19 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 18 Mar, 2017 3:24 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 18 Mar, 2017 1:35 pm

Seriously Happy? IMO he will never turn it around, he might jag a few tournaments here and there but his flogger attitude and personality seems ingrained- would be massively surprised if he does a Hewitt and ends up loved and respected.
Would run very close to being the biggest tool in the history of sport, honestly cannot think of anyone who was worse.
Absolute knob of a bloke.
Some players take time and can be late bloomers

Pat Rafter was one , can still remember a particular Davis Cup match v Italy from memory and I reckon his career turned on that one match

And he was probably 26-27 at the time

I'm not saying Kyrgios isn't still a clown , but he seems to be improving , I see good signs

He reminds me a bit mentally like Goran Ivanisevic , when he was on he could be unstoppable , having a bad day and he'd break 20 racquets and get beaten within an hour and kill every person courtside with his death stare

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 11:13 am

He has shown that he has the skill to beat anyone but that sooky schoolkid demeanour of his is here to stay you'd think. The attitude of a spoilt, entitled twat, he has less fighting mongrel in him than Wests Tigers on a bad day.
There have been quite a few examples of players who have anger control problems eventually getting them under control and having great success eg Ivanisevic, Safin, McEnroe and Hewitt. But it is hard to recall anyone with such a weak-gutted, pathetic, pouty attitude as Kyrgios changing for the better and winning anything of consequence.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 11:54 pm

Should have caught the game Kyrgios matching Federer point for point at Miami - our only decent Aussie player at the moment.

He is rising above Salim Mehajer in getting his act together.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 11:59 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 02 Apr, 2017 11:54 pm
Should have caught the game Kyrgios matching Federer point for point at Miami - our only decent Aussie player at the moment.

He is rising above Salim Mehajer in getting his act together.
He had every right to lose his cool (but didn't ), got a shocking line call in the first set which was overruled and then gave Federer a first serve

I think it was 4-3 in the tie break at the time and he had the mini break