Anyone here surf?

General Social Discussion
chickenkebabs

Anyone here surf?

Post by chickenkebabs » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 5:21 pm

I just started learning a month or so ago. So much harder than it looks!!

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:05 pm

Yep. Just back from a surf trip. three weeks up the North Coast.
Look for small waves and get yourself a big foamy , if you are just starting out.
Also look for the south corners of most Sydney beaches. Not the open exposed sections of the beach. Surf schools are a good start.
Last edited by Tigerdon on Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in Ivan we distrust

WswWt

Post by WswWt » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:07 pm

I surf waves with my jet ski? 😏

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:10 pm

I surf the net .. Does that count .

Or do you mean crowd surfing, i aint that popular Yet
Last edited by Love the WestsTigers on Wed 26 Apr, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:16 pm

Nah ...Ugg boots and Flannys for me
100% Westie !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

chickenkebabs

Post by chickenkebabs » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:19 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:05 pm
Look for small waves and get yourself a big foamy , if you are just starting out.
Also look for the south corners of most Sydney beaches. Not the open exposed sections of the beach. Surf schools are a good start.
Had a few lessons, got to where I could paddle on to a wave and ride it in on a foamie. Have got a mini mal now and have struggled since. I usually go to the southern end of dee why unless it's really small. Where abouts you go?

strrretch

Post by strrretch » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 7:00 pm

Learning to read the surf is the first step....bodyboards are a good start. takes lots of practise before u get any good on a stand up board. Big boards are easier of course, but who wants to ride them?

chickenkebabs

Post by chickenkebabs » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm a long way off being any good. Just enjoying getting out and giving it a crack at the moment!

chickenkebabs

Post by chickenkebabs » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 7:39 pm

hobbo wrote:
Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:16 pm
Nah ...Ugg boots and Flannys for me
100% Westie !
Ha ha. I'm about 50% Westie and the remainder wanker these days!

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 8:28 pm

chickenkebabs wrote:
Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:19 pm
Tigerdon wrote:
Wed 26 Apr, 2017 6:05 pm
Had a few lessons, got to where I could paddle on to a wave and ride it in on a foamie. Have got a mini mal now and have struggled since. I usually go to the southern end of dee why unless it's really small. Where abouts you go?
I normally surf at Queenscliff cause it's closets to home (about a km away) and is generally less crowded.
Surfing is very hard, there is so much to do at the one time. Your trying to stand up on something that's moving (the board) onto something that also moving (the water).Good surfers (which I'm not) make it look easy. Try and make it has easy on yourself as possible because when it goes wrong it can go really wrong. Small waves and a big board can be heaps of fun.
Dee Why South end or South end of Manly is pretty good for beginners, also Palmy. One spot no one goes to much is the South end of Warriewood. The surf has been nice and smooth the last few weeks but it's just picking up and getting bigger now for a couple of days.
Keep it up. If the mini mal isn't working for you just buy yourself a cheap big soft board mal. They are the easiest and you can have heaps of fun on them.
Last edited by Tigerdon on Thu 27 Apr, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in Ivan we distrust

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11:02 pm

Bodyboarded for about 25 years, haven't been out for a surf for about 3 years or thereabouts. Really miss it. The spate of fatal shark attacks over here in WA really started to get you 2nd-guessing a few years ago it was getting beyond a joke.
Surfing is hands-down the best fun you can have IMO. Good for the soul and it gives you so many great memories for when you get old and decrepit!
Stick with it chickenkebabs, you definitely won't regret it mate. Enjoy!

Jam Wowz

Post by Jam Wowz » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11:11 pm

Country surfer here, can't deal with city beaches at all anymore. I live in Tommy's old town and occasionally get down the South Coast for a surf when I can, though weather now has me off from down there till November or so - might head to North Coast or Gold Coast for a week or so in May

chickenkebabs

Post by chickenkebabs » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 4:51 am

Going to stick at it for sure, very frustrating at times but loving it! The annoying part is the crowds!! The surf can be 2ft with only a small part of the beach decent and there are 40 people out!

seadoggy

Post by seadoggy » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 5:48 am

Over 40 years of surfing behind me, it's not getting any easier every year, but still enjoying it but not the crowds.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 6:45 am

The design and materials in the short boards are making them easier to surf. The Hayden Shapes boards have super buoyant foam that makes it easier/quicker, to get up to your feet.
P.s. I'd better change my avatar, as Woods will most likely be gone tomorrow.

Crowds can be annoying on point breaks, where you have to be in the right spot to get a wave. On beach breaks, I don't find crowds too bad because the wave can pop up in many different spots.
in Ivan we distrust

willow

Post by willow » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 3:28 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11:02 pm
Bodyboarded for about 25 years, haven't been out for a surf for about 3 years or thereabouts. Really miss it. The spate of fatal shark attacks over here in WA really started to get you 2nd-guessing a few years ago it was getting beyond a joke.
Surfing is hands-down the best fun you can have IMO. Good for the soul and it gives you so many great memories for when you get old and decrepit!
All the shark attacks in WA has held me back since I've been over here. I used to bodyboard heaps back in the day. Might take the bodyboard for a paddle down at Mandurah or something, but if I do I might strap my Glock to my thigh for good measure.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 4:50 pm

willow wrote:
Thu 27 Apr, 2017 3:28 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11:02 pm
All the shark attacks in WA has held me back since I've been over here. I used to bodyboard heaps back in the day. Might take the bodyboard for a paddle down at Mandurah or something, but if I do I might strap my Glock to my thigh for good measure.
Yeah it definitely is always in the back of your mind and takes a little bit of the fun out of it. Chances of attack are slim, as we know, but going out to certain breaks would be off-limits for me nowadays (The Box and Hole In The Wall in Lancelin where you are pretty much 800 metres or so from the shore were scary enough back in the day when shark attacks were pretty much unheard of).
Best days of my life were heading out for a few tubes with mates. Unforgettable.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 5:13 pm

you don't need to worry too much about Sharks at most city beaches they are all netted. I train the Nippers at the Surf Club and get them the paddle out to the shark nets off Queensie a couple of times a week and have never seen a shark there in over 20 years.
away on hol's up and down the coast is a different story. at Xmas time down in Jarvis Bay i saw about a 1.5 metre grey nurse and quickly paddled back in with my daughter. The locals told me they are harmless and skin-dive with them.
Last week i was at Crescent Head and they have a buoy off the point that warns you when a tagged shark is coming through. It went off (i think last Thursday morning) when a 2.5 metre white pointer was near by. There are shark tracking apps you can get. i wouldn't bother looking though, if you surf a DY. that's netted as well.
in Ivan we distrust