RIP Chester Bennington

General Social Discussion
bathursttiger
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 61 times

RIP Chester Bennington

Unread post by bathursttiger » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 7:47 pm

Sad to hear about the suicide of Chester Bennington lead singer of Linkin Park, one of my favourite bands over the last 10 years.

Demps
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Demps » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 7:59 pm

RIP.

I liked em when i was like 13...
First two albums were legit ans they tried to change the sounds, copped a lot of heat from the fans. I think the comments really effected him.

Great talent nonetheless and Hybrid Theory album is still a classic and a must have.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 9:05 pm

Hybrid theory was brilliant and Meteora was great. They dropped off after that. That said he was one of my favourite frontmen who had an amazing vocal range. Far too close to the death of another favourite in Cornell...6 kids now without their father. Another cowards choice that effects many.

I never wish that those who commit suicide rest in peace because quite frankly they do not deserve to. Ill just say its a waste and a damn shame, i liked him. Hope his family recovers.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 153 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 9:16 pm

Committed suicide on Cornell's birthday. Probably not a coincidence as they were really close. Chester sang Hellalujah at Chris' funeral.

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 9:21 pm

Cornell, Chester, Kurt, Layne. You wonder how much these guys took their work home with them. Some real dark lyrics among that quartet. Singing those songs over and over can really mess your mind up. Cornell in particular looked a lot happier and healthier when he was doing his solo stuff.

Nelson
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Nelson » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 9:40 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 22 Jul, 2017 9:21 pm
Cornell, Chester, Kurt, Layne. You wonder how much these guys took their work home with them. Some real dark lyrics among that quartet. Singing those songs over and over can really mess your mind up. Cornell in particular looked a lot happier and healthier when he was doing his solo stuff.
It's not the music that messes with them so much as the drugs and booze. It's a shame he couldn't get past it for the sake of his kids.

andrew 474
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by andrew 474 » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 9:44 pm

Got introduced to the band via my son who liked them , said listen to this guy sing , I'm 53 and enjoyed there songs , not all but most , sad really to have a young father , husband , fan favourite die so young , there is something wrong out there we just need to fix , what it is I don't know but gee it needs to be found and fixed , life is to short to loose young people in this way , really sad

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 10:20 pm

Yep drugs and booze. They bring so many music stars unstuck...

Tacky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by Tacky » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 10:25 pm

I really wasn't expecting this. What happened?
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Sabre » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 11:09 pm

stryker wrote:
Sat 22 Jul, 2017 9:05 pm
Hybrid theory was brilliant and Meteora was great. They dropped off after that. That said he was one of my favourite frontmen who had an amazing vocal range. Far too close to the death of another favourite in Cornell...6 kids now without their father. Another cowards choice that effects many.

I never wish that those who commit suicide rest in peace because quite frankly they do not deserve to. Ill just say its a waste and a damn shame, i liked him. Hope his family recovers.
A bit harsh, unless you're going through it yourself you don't know how bad it is. It's easy to call him and others a coward from the outside but nobody knows what they are going through.
I'm sure he didn't take the decision lightly. If having a successful career, a wife and 6 kids isn't enough to keep you going he must have had some real serious demons.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 93 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 11:56 pm

stryker wrote:

Share the same opinions about LP. First two albums were great but they soured after that.

His suicide was unexpected but not surprising. The bloke had a tonne of inner demons. Molested as a kid for years and seemed to never cope with it so self medicated with drugs and booze. It is a terrible tragedy for his wife and kids, but I'll stop short of calling him a coward.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 12:31 am

Sabre wrote:
Sat 22 Jul, 2017 11:09 pm
stryker wrote:

A bit harsh, unless you're going through it yourself you don't know how bad it is. It's easy to call him and others a coward from the outside but nobody knows what they are going through.
I'm sure he didn't take the decision lightly. If having a successful career, a wife and 6 kids isn't enough to keep you going he must have had some real serious demons.
I disagree. We all have our demons, we all have our reasons to quit. The strong keep finding reasons not to. He had more reasons not to than the average man. There are millions of people in this world who are barely scraping by with hardly a pot to pee in...and they keep fighting day after day after day to improve their situations and provide for their families. Try and tell them that a universally loved, commercially and critically successful, millionaire celebrity, father of six is so depressed that he cant go on living. I dare you.

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 12:34 am

stryker wrote:
Sun 23 Jul, 2017 12:31 am
Sabre wrote:
stryker wrote:

I disagree. We all have our demons, we all have our reasons to quit. The strong keep finding reasons not to. He had more reasons not to than the average man. There are millions of people in this world who are barely scraping by with hardly a pot to pee in...and they keep fighting day after day after day to improve their situations and provide for their families. Try and tell them that a universally loved, commercially and critically successful, millionaire celebrity, father of six is so depressed that he cant go on living. I dare you.
The old money buys happieness explanation. Considering the amount of millionaires that top themselves, it's probably safe to assume it doesn't.

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 1:13 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 23 Jul, 2017 12:34 am
stryker wrote:
Sabre wrote:
stryker wrote:

The old money buys happieness explanation. Considering the amount of millionaires that top themselves, it's probably safe to assume it doesn't.
I never said that and it is beside the point.

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 1:38 am

stryker wrote:
Sun 23 Jul, 2017 1:13 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
stryker wrote:
Sabre wrote:

You seem to be saying it should though because of the amount of people worse off who don't end it all. Money and success is irrelevant if you're in that state. No one thinks "well at least I have money". Priorities are different.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 7:24 am

In the Philippines about every few months a mother will terminate the lives of her children and then herself due to abject poverty - no money for food, shelter, health, education etc..

If illicit drugs were not around then those suffering from childhood-inflicted pain could not go down the spout. Duterte claims to be saving a lot more lives by preventing such suicides, gang drug war deaths etc. than his war on drugs claims. His is the wrong way of doing it but it is effective and at least it breaks the chain. In Aussie the drug lord prisoners are still carrying out trade via mobile phones. In Philippines they make sure that dead people cannot talk for whatever reason.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 8:37 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 23 Jul, 2017 1:38 am
stryker wrote:
Sun 23 Jul, 2017 1:13 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
stryker wrote:

You seem to be saying it should though because of the amount of people worse off who don't end it all. Money and success is irrelevant if you're in that state. No one thinks "well at least I have money". Priorities are different.
Its not just the money. Sure thats a part of his life that was comfortable but its not the only point im making. He threw away the most precious thing he had and it effects tonnes of people, his wife and kids, his band mates of 20 years, his legion of fans and his peers and lets not forget his godson. Chester was godfather to Chris Cornells son and a couple of months back sat with this kid and mourned with him over the loss of his father, offered help and told him everything would be ok...even performed at his funeral and then on his fathers birthday, a day Chris's family would have been struggling with, he gave up and went and did the same damned thing. Selfishness doesnt even begin to describe this.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 11:19 am

Not everyone is strong enough to cope with things on their own.
Not being strong isn't a failing... These people need help at times but it's well known some that aren't strong see that as weakness and feel shame ( I wonder why) to the extent they bottle things up until the ultimate end arrives... They're not cowards

Return to “General Discussion”