General Social Discussion
TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Homeless tent city in Martin Place..

Unread post by TrueTiger » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 8:07 pm

Call me whatever you like,but in my opinion this debarcle is making our city look like a vagrants paradise to the rest of the world...don't get me wrong I will be the first to help out anyone in a situation that they need help,however these people have been offered housing and have knocked it back....why would you knock back a roof over your head if your homeless????...I will tell you why..the guy Priestly who is the so called Mayor of the tent city is a FATHER OF 12,he obviously has lived outside his means and is in this situation because he cant understand the consequences of having children and the responsibility of having them,whats more he is a New Zealander,why is he here homeless and not over there..he is trying to make amends for his indifferences and is bringing everyone else into his pathetic argument..if your homeless and have been given a lifeline to help you out why let some other person take that opportunity from you...

Am I being harsh in facing reality.....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 8:30 pm

I don't know much about this Tent City but I feel sorry for all the homeless people.

We are extremely lucky to have a roof over our heads, friends & family, basic everyday needs (food and water), and a good NRL team to follow.

I think it is disgusting how we live in our own little worlds whilst among us there are people with absolutely nothing.

Even then, the poorest person in Australia is among the top 5% of richest people in the world.

Looking at the bigger picture, we are lucky to live where we do and we should be forever grateful.
There are families and especially kids who are cold, hungry, sick, homeless, sad, drug addicts and it is disgraceful.

We are very lucky and I think we should stop taking things for granted. Whatever the homeless thing is, give them a home and all the basic needs of a human.

We are not different to the rest of the world so we should look after one another...

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 221 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 9:40 pm

I believe they were offered housing for one month... That's pretty pointless imo.
There's a tent community at Belmore Park next to Central and a bigger one at Wenty Park as well.
Complex issue with people suffering all manner of problems, some I believe are genuine and need help others are just no hopers happy to live rough & on the cheap/off others.
While there's safety in numbers and the streets of Sydney are dangerous, this group are also making a statement

bathursttiger
Has liked: 368 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 9:49 pm

Why are they living in one of the most expensive cities in the world, there are plenty of country towns with empty houses, and with the Centrelink payments they are entitled to could live quite comfortably.
They are the ones that choose to live in Sydney, if they were moved to some of these country town it would be a win win situation helping them plus some of these town that have dwindling populations.
The same goes for when the Government want to resettle these Syrian refugees spread them through out the country instead of creating enclaves in Sydney.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 10:07 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Tue 08 Aug, 2017 8:30 pm
I don't know much about this Tent City but I feel sorry for all the homeless people.

We are extremely lucky to have a roof over our heads, friends & family, basic everyday needs (food and water), and a good NRL team to follow.

I think it is disgusting how we live in our own little worlds whilst among us there are people with absolutely nothing.

Even then, the poorest person in Australia is among the top 5% of richest people in the world.

Looking at the bigger picture, we are lucky to live where we do and we should be forever grateful.
There are families and especially kids who are cold, hungry, sick, homeless, sad, drug addicts and it is disgraceful.

We are very lucky and I think we should stop taking things for granted. Whatever the homeless thing is, give them a home and all the basic needs of a human.

We are not different to the rest of the world so we should look after one another...
Ben this is the biggest load of non sensical bullcrap ive read this year.

Nelson
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Nelson » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 10:24 pm

stryker wrote:
Tue 08 Aug, 2017 10:07 pm
WestsBenTigers wrote:
Tue 08 Aug, 2017 8:30 pm

Ben this is the biggest load of non sensical bullcrap ive read this year.
He's a kid, give him a break

Bob
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Bob » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 4:35 am

Regardless if it is Martin Place or Flinders Station the facts are the same,

1) Housing can be provided by welfare, should you participate in the scheme.

2) There are a small minority of people whom are incapable or do not fit in the scope of said scheme.

3) Those people are not living in martin Pl, or Flinders St without commercial encouragement.

4) Everyone still living in the tent cities have been vetted and have been found either not wanting nor needing alternate accomodation.

5) Australians pay way to much tax, to provide a vast amount of welfare, to people that don't need it for there not to be a revolution soon.

supercoach
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 90 times

Unread post by supercoach » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 7:50 am

I do voluntary work on a food fan in the area and have been for a few years now and let me tell you there are plenty of very needy people out there with massive problems, but there are also plenty of people who jump on the band wagon and put there hands out to grab anything free because to them it is a lot easier than what most people do and that is work.

You just have to be very careful and not stereotype all people living rough, because like everything in life, you have people who need every bit of help they can get and you have people using the system. What the answer???? not sure.

One thing I have noticed talking to these people it doesn't take much to end up from having a normal life to have things fall in a heap and end up living rough

pdenny77
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by pdenny77 » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:06 am

TrueTiger wrote:
Tue 08 Aug, 2017 8:07 pm
Call me whatever you like,but in my opinion this debarcle is making our city look like a vagrants paradise to the rest of the world...don't get me wrong I will be the first to help out anyone in a situation that they need help,however these people have been offered housing and have knocked it back....why would you knock back a roof over your head if your homeless????...I will tell you why..the guy Priestly who is the so called Mayor of the tent city is a FATHER OF 12,he obviously has lived outside his means and is in this situation because he cant understand the consequences of having children and the responsibility of having them,whats more he is a New Zealander,why is he here homeless and not over there..he is trying to make amends for his indifferences and is bringing everyone else into his pathetic argument..if your homeless and have been given a lifeline to help you out why let some other person take that opportunity from you...

Am I being harsh in facing reality.....
Sounds fair to me. The so called "mayor" of tent city needs to stop reproducing! He may not be on welfare (as he stated in the article I read) but is he producing a family of future welfare dependent people? I'd hazard a guess...

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:18 am

I do volunteer work as well. There are those that need help and are not capable or don't know how to get it and then there are those that dont need help but demand it.

The so called Mayor falls in the later and from what I have read and seen he is using the system and preying on those in need. He may have mental health issues but none that would genuinely stop him from being a contributor rather than a recipient.

If he isn't a citizen why hasn't he been deported?

TopTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by TopTiger » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:46 am

12 kids, given the horse has well and truly bolted now he probably should have had a vasectomy many moons ago as he obviously cannot support his ever expanding brood!!

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:49 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:18 am
I do volunteer work as well. There are those that need help and are not capable or don't know how to get it and then there are those that dont need help but demand it.

The so called Mayor falls in the later and from what I have read and seen he is using the system and preying on those in need. He may have mental health issues but none that would genuinely stop him from being a contributor rather than a recipient.

The so called 'mayor' is basically an activist from New Zealand making political statements here, and around the world.
72 years old with a 20 year old woman pregnant with his 12 child.... make your own view on that.
The sad thing is you don't see the men and women doing it tough in doorways or under bridges in these 'tent cities'.
These people with mental issues or other problems don't seem to have access to a nice new tent to plonk themselves in a spot where they are supplied free meals every day like plenty of these 'professional' bums.

hammertime
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by hammertime » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:10 am

Ive done some volunteering in a food van as well and the posts are spot on here. It's actually amazing hearing some of the stories from people doing it tough. Separating those out who need help from those who don't is the hard part about all this. The Australian taxpayer can't go subsiding people who have nothing wrong besides a poor attitude.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 153 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:13 am

I understand not everyone living rough is doing it because they want to be there. Plenty of people wind up homeless due to domestic violence and drug issues (not necessarily drug issues of their own either.) Sometimes others are just really unlucky.

That being said the bloke speaking for these people is hurting their cause more than anything. The bloke sounds like an anarchist and when you've fathered 12 kids and spending more time living in tents than trying to provide for the dozen mouths you've created you will likely always come across in a negative light.

I read that one bloke was living rough because his parents gave him a hard time (Asian student living in Balmain.) Basically has the attitude that I don't like the rules so I'll become a burden on the system and mooch off of the goodwill of others. While we're fussing over clowns like him a battered wife falls through the cracks of the system.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 5:51 pm

cktiger wrote:
Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:49 am
Tiger Come Lately wrote:

The so called 'mayor' is basically an activist from New Zealand making political statements here, and around the world.
72 years old with a 20 year old woman pregnant with his 12 child.... make your own view on that.
The sad thing is you don't see the men and women doing it tough in doorways or under bridges in these 'tent cities'.
These people with mental issues or other problems don't seem to have access to a nice new tent to plonk themselves in a spot where they are supplied free meals every day like plenty of these 'professional' bums.
The poor young girl is not well and most likely not in a position to care for herself properly nor the child, hence my reference.

The issue of homelessness is not one to be taken lightly nor is it a matter of taring all with the same brush. More importantly as a society we cannot hold back our support because of guys like this mayor.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 7:16 pm

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Wed 09 Aug, 2017 5:51 pm
cktiger wrote:
Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:49 am
Tiger Come Lately wrote:

The poor young girl is not well and most likely not in a position to care for herself properly nor the child, hence my reference.

The issue of homelessness is not one to be taken lightly nor is it a matter of taring all with the same brush. More importantly as a society we cannot hold back our support because of guys like this mayor.

Your ultimate paragraph says all that needs to said.

colmcd
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 7:54 pm

Three things to keep in mind:

1. Anyone reading the Daily terrorgraph, your mind is being filled with BS. They hate the tigers, they hate everything non liberal and they are there to push Ruperts agenda. You read that paper, put you hand up and go BAA.

2. Housing in Sydney is incredibly expensive. INCREDIBLY. I brought mine for $420,000 which is reasonable. I have a friend renting a townhouse for $450 per week. Their entire pension goes to rent ALONE. They borrow food off people and grow stuff in their garden and walk. Housing is incredibly expensive.... You can sometimes find a flat but often I am seeing a very long application line.

3. There is limited availability. If you have ever had a bad rental record... YOU ARE GONE. If you do not have fixed address, you are in big trouble. If you are a family without a home you have a chance at public housing. However if you are single, you are in BIG trouble as the priority goes to families. The waiting list is currently 6 years!

Remember point 1. In the 1920's being poor was seen as "something bad has happened to you" it wasn't your fault. Now since the 1990's being poor was instead seen as the fault of the poor. You had dole bludgers, someone could have started their own business, applied harder, worked harder, etc. The blame for being poor had changed from external factors to internal factors. Truth is it's a bit of both in everyone.

Our Unemployment situation is going to get worse. I already know too many Uni graduates and ex managers doing Night shift work, taxi driving and skills way below their level. Automation is going to eliminate 30-60% of jobs and if the unemployment rate doesn't surpass 20% in 10 years I will be surprised. (Real Unemployment is probably close to 20% now).

The High school Graduate path at the moment seems to me too be:
School -> Dole Queue.
Yes, some get work, some goto Uni. Many should have been going to TAFE and instead get marketed to goto a BS degree offered by a fancy website only training school. The School system seems focused on UNI when most won't be going there.

Yes, I am experimenting in a branch of Futurism called Pessimism. Yet I am seeing us blindly walking into this future distopia and many people pretending that the issues are not there. The tent city is not a bad thing, it's 70 people highlighting what 500 in City of Sydney council go through daily (the last homeless survey in the council).

Black'n'White
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 8:16 pm

I was once homeless. 22 months. I will say unequivocally that the system is swamped by gamers, junkies and lowlifes who play the system professionally and block out those who need assistance to get their feet back on the ground and actually be productive members of society.

The system in place supports the desolate loser junkie before those with a chance....

I know many , if not most know a junkie fist hand, its an endemic problem, but those that know one, also know they cannot be helped unless they ask for it. They clog the system barring those from those with real opportunities from access to.

The deadbeat running the Martin place seige is a father of how many? A kiwi gamer of epic proportions, if memory serves me a dozen kids in Ateroa, and one of the majority who got a bed over myself because they shirked any real responsibility.... I would suffocate the scumbag with a urinal cake.

Return to “General Discussion”