Same sex marriage debate...

General Social Discussion
Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Same sex marriage debate...

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 1:49 am

No wonder Jim was shy about women on the show
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 6:00 am

Shattered illusions, I'll never think of Gomer Pyle in the same way now..LOL

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:12 am

formerguest wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:39 am
TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 8:36 pm
You guys are saying you cant discriminate,our country doesnt tolerate discrimination at any level regardless of same sex,female,disabled,different culture or country
How about my parents who came here after WW2 and helped build the railway,snowy scheme and other industries..we were called wogs,diegoes and spics I had my lunch taken out of my bag and cow s*** put in it because I had a wog name ,yet I was born here...go figure...please don't go down that road it is something that has been in our society since day dot...someone always thinks they are better than others,yet the truth is we are all the same ...HUMAN BEINGS...
Until everybody accepts that,then this crap will go on and on and on...
Lost my best mate over a decade ago and he was born here of Italian descent. We had many discussions over the years and a few that stand out, one of which your post reminded me of. We were talking about the rapidly increasing influx of Asian immigrants, with him calling them chinks and complaining about them creating their own communities in certain suburbs. I had to point out that he was acting in the same manner as those that discriminated against him as he was growing up and the European immigrants created their own enclaves as new arrivals.
Many years ago, prior to writing "A walk in the light green", Redgum wrote the song Long Run. A few lines from the song highlight the difficulty experienced by our Italian and Greek migrants In Australia.

Italian bloke works with me
we swap laughs and company
he slapped me on the back and said you're wrong son
this isn't the land I'd thought it would be
it is not so equal and not so free
but it will be alright
it will be alright
it will be alright
in the long run

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:09 am

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 1:16 am
Sad to see that Jim Nabors passed today aged 87

For the younger amongst us , he played Gomer Pyle and had an amazing singing voice

Much like Michael Crawford young couldn't imagine such a beautiful voice could come from such an odd character

Also sang the Indiana State Song for many years to start the Indianapolis 500

He was fortunate enough be able to marry his partner

RIP Jim Nabors
He married his last partner but had a very long relationship with Rock Hudson before which Hollywood kept secret to protect them both.

colmcd
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:37 am

jadtiger wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:09 am
happy tiger wrote:

For the younger amongst us , he played Gomer Pyle and had an amazing singing voice

Much like Michael Crawford young couldn't imagine such a beautiful voice could come from such an odd character

RIP Jim Nabors
He married his last partner but had a very long relationship with Rock Hudson before which Hollywood kept secret to protect them both.
When I did a security course ages ago, there was a wressler in Hollywood that was big like Arnie Schwarzenegger. He was doing well till he was outed as homosexual. The guys life was ruined.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by jadtiger » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 10:16 am

colmcd wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:37 am
jadtiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

RIP Jim Nabors
When I did a security course ages ago, there was a wressler in Hollywood that was big like Arnie Schwarzenegger. He was doing well till he was outed as homosexual. The guys life was ruined.
Discrination is a terrible thing no matter what form it is.Much of the hate and most of the wars have been based purely on discrimination

Munk
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 11:05 am

jadtiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

RIP Jim Nabors
Never heard of Gomer Pyle but that is great that the actor was able to get married as he wished. I have read a few books on Hollywood and the covering up of homosexual identities is as old as the industry itself. Still in practice today and even though the new generation is not as hesitant to come out of the closet, there are rumoured to be many big names who either refuse or are being pressured not to reveal their sexuality for fear of decreased album and box office sales.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 2:26 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 6:00 am
Shattered illusions, I'll never think of Gomer Pyle in the same way now..LOL
I had my suspicions at the time due to his persona. I just hope that Sid James is not outed - that bawdy womaniser who taught us the tricks of the trade.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 6:14 pm

jadtiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

RIP Jim Nabors
He has been with his current partner for 35 years

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by jadtiger » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 6:24 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 6:14 pm
jadtiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

RIP Jim Nabors
He has been with his current partner for 35 years
That may be so Happy but Rock Hudson died 32 years ago in 1985 (aids) so i imagine the relationship had broken up a few years earlier before he met his new partner.Probably a good thing or he would probably have contracted it as well

Harvey
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by Harvey » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 11:00 pm

Earl wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 1:49 pm
Harvey wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 12:51 pm
Earl wrote:
Sat 02 Dec, 2017 3:33 pm
magpiecol wrote:
Sat 02 Dec, 2017 10:36 am
I never noticed a question about people who do not believe in this concept, can be penalised for not supplying goods or services against their beliefs.

It would be interesting if they had another vote on this question. (not by the dopes in Parliament).
There definitely shouldn't be a vote on this and people who don't supply goods or services for gay people should be punished. Discrimination is unacceptable in our society.

Those that can't accept that should go and live in Saudi Arabia or something like that because they aren't welcome here.
We have already institutionalised discrimination. There are public pools which are closed at particular times so that muslim women can swim without males being present. There are health, legal and educational services that are only available to certain sections of the population. This is somehow acceptable, but refusing to supply services because of individual beliefs is homophobia and discrimination.

At the end of the day the service provider would simply be costing themselves money, but there needs to be consistency.

If a service provider offered a 15% discount for gay couples marrying, is that also discrimination?
I don't know what health, legal and educational services are only available to certain sections of society. I think you should provide factual details of this. It'd also be good to show the public pools which do as you state. Facts do actually matter.

The simple fact of the matter is that discrimination shouldn't be allowed within society. Was apartheid appropriate ?

Real men stand against this BS.

If you can actually provide facts in relation to your little diatribe then we can discuss those issues. There are female gyms for instance. Other gyms are available for men. That is different to discrimination and sane people should be able to see that.
I voted yes and have no issue with gay marriage and would not hesitate to attend friends weddings if they choose to get married.

What I cannot cop is the hypocrisy. People that do not want to provide services to a gay wedding because of their religious beliefs are bigots, but restricting access to public facilities to certain groups is acceptable because of that groups religious beliefs.

If you want examples, look up Auburn pool. Look up the indigenous only computer rooms at QUT.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 7:33 am

The Rastafarians even get the privilege of smoking ganja without fuss because it is part of their religion.

But Rastafari have also interpreted Biblical proclamations on homosexuality — such as Leviticus 18:22: “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination” — as proof of God’s hatred of queers. Rastafari believe that homosexuality is a product of Babylon (corrupt modern society) and will not be found in Zion (the black homeland and birthplace of humanity).
https://www.dailyxtra.com/rastafari-hom ... ical-38847

Nov 2013 (Anglican Archbishop) Desmond Tutu expressed that he would ‘rather go to hell than worship a Homophobic god’ - is the Pope a Catholic?

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 157 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:34 am

Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 11:05 am
jadtiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

RIP Jim Nabors
Never heard of Gomer Pyle but that is great that the actor was able to get married as he wished. I have read a few books on Hollywood and the covering up of homosexual identities is as old as the industry itself. Still in practice today and even though the new generation is not as hesitant to come out of the closet, there are rumoured to be many big names who either refuse or are being pressured not to reveal their sexuality for fear of decreased album and box office sales.
You've never heard of Gomer Pyle? Gooooolllllllly...
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:02 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:34 am

Isn't your being a Gomer Pyle and John Wayne fan a bit contradictory? Are you Arthur or Martha?

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 157 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:05 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:02 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:34 am

Isn't your being a Gomer Pyle and John Wayne fan a bit contradictory? Are you Arthur or Martha?
Since when have I said I was a fan of either? I was implying Munk had been living under a rock. I'm in my early 30's and know what Gomer Pyle was.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:26 am

TrueTiger wrote:
You guys are saying you cant discriminate,our country doesnt tolerate discrimination at any level regardless of same sex,female,disabled,different culture or country
How about my parents who came here after WW2 and helped build the railway,snowy scheme and other industries..we were called wogs,diegoes and spics I had my lunch taken out of my bag and cow s*** put in it because I had a wog name ,yet I was born here...go figure...please don't go down that road it is something that has been in our society since day dot...someone always thinks they are better than others,yet the truth is we are all the same ...HUMAN BEINGS...
You and your Parents should, ( and could already) be really against discrimination against any other group of people, as they know how it feels.
Religion is one of the flimsiest excuses for discrimination that is possible, as almost anything can be claimed to be against ones religion.

If you got a Christian( whatever brand you want), A Muslim ,(again , whatever brand you want), a Hindu whatever brand again or a Happy Clapper from our own home grown brand s of Hillsong,
you know the type, with the 60 year old ringleader who tries to look like a 25 year old with spiked hair and the shirt carefully left hanging out, trying to appeal to the young audience that usually gets attracted to the rock music, and the plethora of sportsmen that seem to drift in and out of that type of religion.

Get that lot together and the pile of things that would be against their combined religions would be enormous.

But its strange that almost all of the things that are said to be so sacred, can be immediately thrown out if it pleases the current Pope;Pastor, or Imam:

The Catholics dropped the “ can’t eat fish on Friday, “ bit like a hot chip ,when the Pope had a change of mind, and what would send you running off to Confession one week, became a nice feed of fish & chips the next Friday night.
The ban on contraception is , in a lot of countries, responsible for some of the worst over populating that exists, but in more enlightened countries nowCatholics now know the value of latex and those little pills, and none of them are any more likely to burn in hell than any Catholics that have gone before then
The Muslims keep telling us that theirs is a peaceful religion, but some of their Brands seems to think it’s Cool to try to kill anyone who doesn’t agree with them

This garbage about Bakers and Florists is just that. Trivial rubbish

And yes discrimination does still exist in Australia; but we all should be trying to get rid of any that we still have, rather than making laws to increase it.
Especially when it’s over such a flimsy , ludicrous reason such as a few bakers and florists getting their knickers twisted because some group of people dont conform to some religions version of what should happen.
Jeez , I hope nothing really important happens to Australia , as the bakers and Florists won’t be able to be relied on to be much help ,as they have such an important problem in front of themselves consuming their lives. Lol

Abraham
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Abraham » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 1:06 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:26 am
TrueTiger wrote:
You and your Parents should, ( and could already) be really against discrimination against any other group of people, as they know how it feels.
Religion is one of the flimsiest excuses for discrimination that is possible, as almost anything can be claimed to be against ones religion.

If you got a Christian( whatever brand you want), A Muslim ,(again , whatever brand you want), a Hindu whatever brand again or a Happy Clapper from our own home grown brand s of Hillsong,
you know the type, with the 60 year old ringleader who tries to look like a 25 year old with spiked hair and the shirt carefully left hanging out, trying to appeal to the young audience that usually gets attracted to the rock music, and the plethora of sportsmen that seem to drift in and out of that type of religion.

Get that lot together and the pile of things that would be against their combined religions would be enormous.

But its strange that almost all of the things that are said to be so sacred, can be immediately thrown out if it pleases the current Pope;Pastor, or Imam:

The Catholics dropped the “ can’t eat fish on Friday, “ bit like a hot chip ,when the Pope had a change of mind, and what would send you running off to Confession one week, became a nice feed of fish & chips the next Friday night.
The ban on contraception is , in a lot of countries, responsible for some of the worst over populating that exists, but in more enlightened countries nowCatholics now know the value of latex and those little pills, and none of them are any more likely to burn in hell than any Catholics that have gone before then
The Muslims keep telling us that theirs is a peaceful religion, but some of their Brands seems to think it’s Cool to try to kill anyone who doesn’t agree with them

This garbage about Bakers and Florists is just that. Trivial rubbish

And yes discrimination does still exist in Australia; but we all should be trying to get rid of any that we still have, rather than making laws to increase it.
Especially when it’s over such a flimsy , ludicrous reason such as a few bakers and florists getting their knickers twisted because they dont conform to some religions version of what should happen.
Jeez , I hope nothing really important happens to Australia , as the bakers and Florists won’t be able to be relied on to be much help ,as they have such an important problem in front of themselves consuming their lives. Lol
The funny (or sad) thing is that you don't see the hypocrisy of your own words.

According to your warped wisdom, its not ok for a Christian to 'discriminate' and not participate in a gay ceremony, but its ok for a Christian to be discriminated against and be forced to participate in an event which they consider sacrilegious.

That's what happens when a society does not value an individual's God-given freedom ... the Government takes upon itself the position of God and determines according to its own whims which class of people's freedoms are politically expedient to defend, at the expense of those it wishes to discriminate against itself.

The common sense outcome is to let the individual judge for themselves what they do and don't want to be involved in... but common sense ain't that common these days.

You may not care in this instance, but when they come after something you hold dear under false pretenses, it will already be too late for you to start whinging.

TigerTiger
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by TigerTiger » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 1:48 pm

Abraham wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 1:06 pm

The funny (or sad) thing is that you don't see the hypocrisy of your own words.

According to your warped wisdom, its not ok for a Christian to 'discriminate' and not participate in a gay ceremony, but its ok for a Christian to be discriminated against and be forced to participate in an event which they consider sacrilegious.

That's what happens when a society does not value an individual's God-given freedom ... the Government takes upon itself the position of God and determines according to its own whims which class of people's freedoms are politically expedient to defend, at the expense of those it wishes to discriminate against itself.

The common sense outcome is to let the individual judge for themselves what they do and don't want to be involved in... but common sense ain't that common these days.

You may not care in this instance, but when they come after something you hold dear under false pretenses, it will already be too late for you to start whinging.
Abraham, please correct me if I'm wrong, (for it was a long time ago,) but I'm fairly certain I remember from my catholic primary school days that God's doctrines was also to follow the rules and laws of the government of the day.
I can't give a biblical reference, but I'm sure the bible is where the teachers got it from. You are a fellow who might know, isn't there that in there somewhere?

Return to “General Discussion”