Same sex marriage debate...

General Social Discussion
Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Same sex marriage debate...

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:37 am

Don't worry, the old jelly back waffler will go to water when the hard right tell him what to do.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 227 times
Been liked: 347 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:38 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:35 am
Geo. wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:28 am
So 4 out of 10 people voted No..
Glass half full kinda guy huh Geo?
No..I just thought the Yes vote would have been higher..

Polls for years have shown a similar result to the actual Vote ...so wth did we waste 128m on something they already knew,,, :crazy
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 138 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:39 am

old man tiger wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:33 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Warringah 75% in favour. What's it going to be Tony? Listen to the people you represent or do your personal beliefs come first?
On that note, the seats that voted no overwhelmingly are labour heartland but probably have many socially conservative people living there. Interesting times ahead. Might be a masterstroke from Turnbull, who has turned himself into a "Master bator" with his ineffective leadership.

If it gets to a vote in parliament, these labour members will have to vote yes, surely. I hope people don't care enough about the issue to vote out an incumbent on the basis of a single issue, but this is the risk when you ask the people to do the politician's job.
Spot on OMT. I'm not surprised that many of the electorates that voted no are ALP heartland. Many ALP voters are religious. My nan would have voted no in the survey, she's a paid up ALP member, staunch Catholic and until I heard her stance on this issue was one of the most socially progressive people I knew.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:40 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:38 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:35 am
Geo. wrote:
So 4 out of 10 people voted No..
Glass half full kinda guy huh Geo?
No..I just thought the Yes vote would have been higher..

Polls for years have shown a similar result to the actual Vote ...so wth did we waste 128m on something they already knew,,, :crazy
Haha sorry mate, I thought you were being negative. Wholly agree though.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:40 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:37 am
Don't worry, the old jelly back waffler will go to water when the hard right tell him what to do.
Not if the LNP want to face annihilation next election.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by formerguest » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:51 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Warringah 75% in favour. What's it going to be Tony? Listen to the people you represent or do your personal beliefs come first?
Yes, and as all states had a similar result, Eric Abetz and the like have to ask themselves the same question.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:55 am

Abetz will put himself above his constituents. His uncle was a good bloke apparently.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 11:07 am

formerguest wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:51 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Yes, and as all states had a similar result, Eric Abetz and the like have to ask themselves the same question.
He's in my Life Saving Patrol. I've stood side by side with him in our red buggie smugglers. Our club is called "Queensie". LoL. Mike Baird's is in my patrol as well. Although i haven't seen either of them done there the last couple of months.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

coivtny
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by coivtny » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 11:26 am

Tony is in an interesting position now. With Warringah 75% in favour of legislating same sex marriage how he reacts to the result could have a big bearing on his political future. If he starts putting barriers in the way of the legislation passing through the Parliament he is a good chance of losing his seat at the next election.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:12 pm

coivtny wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 11:26 am
Tony is in an interesting position now. With Warringah 75% in favour of legislating same sex marriage how he reacts to the result could have a big bearing on his political future. If he starts putting barriers in the way of the legislation passing through the Parliament he is a good chance of losing his seat at the next election.
He can run in NSW for the senate on behalf of old mate Corey

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:16 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:39 am
old man tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
On that note, the seats that voted no overwhelmingly are labour heartland but probably have many socially conservative people living there. Interesting times ahead. Might be a masterstroke from Turnbull, who has turned himself into a "Master bator" with his ineffective leadership.

If it gets to a vote in parliament, these labour members will have to vote yes, surely. I hope people don't care enough about the issue to vote out an incumbent on the basis of a single issue, but this is the risk when you ask the people to do the politician's job.
Spot on OMT. I'm not surprised that many of the electorates that voted no are ALP heartland. Many ALP voters are religious. My nan would have voted no in the survey, she's a paid up ALP member, staunch Catholic and until I heard her stance on this issue was one of the most socially progressive people I knew.
With all due respect to your strong, and imo correct, stance on this, I would still consider her socially progressive. This issue has crossed the line between conservative and progressive like nothing I can remember. I've been surprised by many people's views on this, even my own :roll

A mate told me his priest said that while he agreed the church has to vote No officially, our duty as individuals is to treat everyone as our brother and sister, equal in God's eyes, without prejudice.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:23 pm

It seems a lot of the no vote come from immigrants (in Sydney west for example) who's cultures or religions don't approve of SSM.

I couldn't see a lot of labour voters like that voting out the incumbent just because they're following the majority in voting and acting on behalf of SSM. People on the north shore + beaches may however vote out someone who actively hinders the views of the majority of the constituents.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:24 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:16 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:39 am
old man tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

With all due respect to your strong, and imo correct, stance on this, I would still consider her socially progressive. This issue has crossed the line between conservative and progressive like nothing I can remember. I've been surprised by many people's views on this, even my own :roll

A mate told me his priest said that while he agreed the church has to vote No officially, our duty as individuals is to treat everyone as our brother and sister, equal in God's eyes, without prejudice.
Oh I still consider her to be pretty socially progressive, just not the most SP that I know now. Was rather surprising as she has never had a bad word to say about anyone gay, so I just assumed that she'd support it too.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:24 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:23 pm
It seems a lot of the no vote come from immigrants (in Sydney west for example) who's cultures or religions don't approve of SSM.

I couldn't see a lot of labour voters like that voting out the incumbent just because they're following the majority in voting and acting on behalf of SSM. People on the north shore + beaches may however vote out someone who actively hinders the views of the majority of the constituents.
That's why the ALP and Western Sydney seats are over-represented.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

InBenjiWeTrust
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:10 pm

Interesting point is: will the 'elected representatives' vote as their electorates or with 'their conscience' and ignore their electorate,
- may explain why most people are disgusted with politicians :brick:
e.g
Jason Clare, ALP, electorate Blaxland - NO vote 73.9%
Tony Burke, ALP, electorate Watson, - NO vote 69.6%
Chris Bowen, ALP, electorate McMahon, - NO vote 64.9%

Munk
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Munk » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:34 pm

God Bill Shorten is despicable little runt. The way he is carrying on is ridiculous.
Australia is all about a fair go. The result doesnt surprise really but for this weasle to take credit is wrong. He had very little to do with it.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:44 pm

Munk wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:34 pm
God Bill Shorten is despicable little runt. The way he is carrying on is ridiculous.
Australia is all about a fair go. The result doesnt surprise really but for this weasle to take credit is wrong. He had very little to do with it.
how's your blood pressure? ruok
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 188 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:51 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:44 pm
Munk wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:34 pm
how's your blood pressure? ruok
Its funny, the other day he was saying how much he enjoys the left losing it over Trump, now he's doing the exact same thing.

Return to “General Discussion”